4 replies to this topic

#1 Dan O

Dan O

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 03:12 AM

Recently drove on I-10 through AZ and saw two things of interest. One place we saw a lot of engines all apparently on the same track. I mean there were at least 30 and maybe 50 or more. I was driving and didn't see them until someone pointed them out so missed some of them. Any idea what they would be doing there?

Secondly, we saw some work on an engine near a rest stop. That I could take a picture of and will try to add it to this post. There was some kind of backhoe there so maybe fixing track under the train? No idea on this one either. 

Thanks.

Attached Files

Edited by Dan O, 24 June 2017 - 03:14 AM.

Amtrak miles 13487
Pre-Amtrak train miles 6678

#2 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,869 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 24 June 2017 - 10:28 AM

Don't have specific info on this particular situation but UP keeps Lots of Engines in mothballs around El Paso and in the SE desert. ( also there is the Airplane Graveyard outside Tucson since the desert is kind to uneeded vehicles )
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#3 TheOldMan

TheOldMan

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Nevada Northern Railroad,Train travel, and O guage.

Posted 24 June 2017 - 02:46 PM

Just to add a little more to UP Engine storage. During the Great Recession in 2009 UP had number Engines inline between Colton and Fontana in California. Freight traffic was heavily impacted and they had way more Engines than needed at the time. Here is a link to article about Colton storage of Engines.  https://www.ble-t.or...ne.asp?id=27577

TheOldMan  shortened form TOM

#4 Dan O

Dan O

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 04:06 PM

Thanks for the info. Any ideas on what may be going on in the picture above? There were 2 additional engines a bit down the track from this. 

Dan

Edited by Dan O, 24 June 2017 - 04:06 PM.

Amtrak miles 13487
Pre-Amtrak train miles 6678

#5 TheOldMan

TheOldMan

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Nevada Northern Railroad,Train travel, and O guage.

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:26 PM

I do not know for sure. If you look carefully you can see that there are two lifting cranes each facing one another, so that one is lifting from one side and the other from opposite side.  The one on side near engine has crane hook down appearing as if it is going to lift something. The other the hook is up. Perhaps replacing a broken couple?  I don't know if the pictured crane could lift Engine if it had derailed. Just guessing. 

TheOldMan  shortened form TOM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users