Train consist w/1 sleeper behind locomotive, 2 or 3 sleepers at rear

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was watching a YouTube video showing different Amtrak trains, and I noticed one train which had one sleeper right behind the locomotive, while the other two or three sleepers were at the rear. Can't recall if there was baggage car at the very end or not.

I think it was either a Silver Star or Silver Meteor train, but it may not be either one of those. Is that a normal Amtrak procedure, and if so, what is the purpose?

Thanks!

This setup is done to speed up the switching moves. If I am thinking right the Builder and the Eagle do the same.

The TE has the Engine, Baggage, Trans dorm, Sleeper, DC, SSL, Coach, Coach, Coach. The EB is Engine, Engine, Baggage, Trans Dorm, Sleeper, Sleeper, DC, Coach, Coach, SSL, Coach, Coach, Sleeper. (Last four cars are the Portland section). Also, these are Superliner trains, where the LSL, SS, SM are single level as is the Crescent and the Cardinal.

The TE has the Engine, Baggage, Trans dorm, Sleeper, DC, SSL, Coach, Coach, Coach. The EB is Engine, Engine, Baggage, Trans Dorm, Sleeper, Sleeper, DC, Coach, Coach, SSL, Coach, Coach, Sleeper. (Last four cars are the Portland section). Also, these are Superliner trains, where the LSL, SS, SM are single level as is the Crescent and the Cardinal.
I rode the EB in late May and the consist was as you stated. But when I rode it last year, it was slightly different: the Diner was behind the Seattle coaches and directly in front of the SSL. Actually, it makes more sense to do it the current way, as the Diner serves as a "barrier" between the Seattle coaches and Sleepers. I've had coach passengers wander back into the Sleepers even though there is a sign on the door stating it is verboten to go any further.

They also do it when equipment is moving in a non-revenue capacity. I know I've seen that configuration south of DC, where no such service demands it from a train-splitting point of view.

Here's Video I shot last week. Just south of DC at long Bridge.

The first car is a sleeper. I'm assuming it was an equipment move because it didn't look occupied.

Back