11 replies to this topic

#1 cassie225

cassie225

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:17 AM

I been meaning to post about the new diner on the Crescent on my trip back from Jersey June 12 , It was BEAUTIFUL,ROOMY,SPACIOUS and BRIGHT. I absolutely loved it.I had enough room to sit next to someone and eat and not be crowded in.We only had two waiters and they were very busy,but service was still on point. Food was delicious.Also as a side point found out 50 people from the same religious organization as myself were returning from NY that same day. They had a coach all to themselves.Met them in the diner,were seated with them and we started discussing gumbo and such. Invited to their coach and had a great time. The bad part- my bedroom sleeper was awful,not the upkeep, because I had an attendant that I had before,Mr. Robert,so glad to see him and he took excellent care of me,but,I recleaned and sprayed my sleeper as usual and this time it was just bad. They said they don't know when sleepers will be put on line,but I won be back in one until they are. If I travel again I will do Roomette,since most of the time its just me anyway. Just don't like having that toilet in the room. Yuck. Anyway-Yay new diner.Also Trails and Rails was on and I think they were kinda annoyed because not a lot of people were there. But interesting info they had from ATL to NO.

#2 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:29 AM

Thanks for that report. I'm pleased to hear the new diners are good.

#3 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,762 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:46 AM

All of the Amtrak Sleepers, both Viewliners and Superliners, are becoming shabby on the inside due to being run hard and put up wet as the old saying goes.

This is due to the shortage of equipment,neglect by the Yard Crews and lack of scheduling to rehab the aging Sleeper fleet.( same is true for the P-42s)

The workers in Beech Grove do a great job on Superliner rehab but don't have the funds or a rehab schedule. Im sure the same applies to the Viewliners.

Edited by Bob Dylan, 23 June 2017 - 09:48 AM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#4 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:04 AM

The eventual arrival of VL2 sleepers and bag dorms will hopefully take a little pressure off the single level sleeper fleet and allow a little bit more refurb work to take place (if money is available) And the VL2 design removes the toilet from the roomette in favor of 2 bathrooms "down the hall" Any year now.

Edited by PVD, 23 June 2017 - 10:05 AM.

#5 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,526 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:05 AM

Are the car rehabs accounted for in Capex or Opex? Amtrak routines seems to underspend their Capex budget every year. I have never quite figured out why that is the case.

#6 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:24 AM

It make Amtrak look good when they report under budget numbers. At some point someone might point out the recent derailments in NY Pennsylvania Station were due to lack of spending of Capex. The carpet on the viewliners where your foot sticks to the carpet could also be a sign of lack of capital investment. 🤐

However since the books are cooked, the numbers will not matter.

#7 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:28 AM

The problem with under spending a Cap budget is that in many business cases, you asked for cap funds on the premise that cap spending now will have a significant impact on opex or revenue generation going forward.

Edited by PVD, 23 June 2017 - 10:28 AM.

#8 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 11:06 AM

All of the Amtrak Sleepers, both Viewliners and Superliners, are becoming shabby on the inside due to being run hard and put up wet as the old saying goes.

This is due to the shortage of equipment,neglect by the Yard Crews and lack of scheduling to rehab the aging Sleeper fleet.( same is true for the P-42s)

The workers in Beech Grove do a great job on Superliner rehab but don't have the funds or a rehab schedule. Im sure the same applies to the Viewliners.

Keeping cars clean and doing minor repairs isn't really rocket science. It's often just a question of having sufficient people on the job.

Maybe past cuts have gone too deep and need to be remedied.

#9 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 02:07 PM

I think it goes a bit deeper than repairs, some of the cosmetics leave a bad impression. Curtains, carpets, seat covers and cushions and rattling doors and covers may not take a car out of service, but make a huge difference in overall impression of quality of service.

#10 OlympianHiawatha

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 06:45 PM

Just don't like having that toilet in the room. Yuck.

When I have Viewliner segments I always throw a travel-pack of Lysol Towlettes in my grip and wipe that bad boy down when I move in.  That way I mark it as MY commode and make it more tolerable.

#11 cassie225

cassie225

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 12:16 PM

I have to say,the Roomettes look much better.Going to ATL in a Roomette.my first time using one of those.

#12 AmtrakLKL

AmtrakLKL

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 07:24 PM

I think it goes a bit deeper than repairs, some of the cosmetics leave a bad impression. Curtains, carpets, seat covers and cushions and rattling doors and covers may not take a car out of service, but make a huge difference in overall impression of quality of service.

Agreed. Unfortunately, some times there aren't the proper screws, clean curtains or seat cushions available when needed for running repair before the train is due to go back out. Then we start robbing Peter to pay Paul assuming Peter has good seat cushions.  :ph34r:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users