Changing Amtrak trains at Penn Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fixj

Service Attendant
I’m in the very early stages of planning a trip from Washington to Chicago and have never taken an Acela or the Lake Shore Limited as part of my travels. So my thought was to take the Acela from Washington to NYP and change trains same day to Lake Shore Limited. Having heard how crazy Penn Station is, I needed guidance on arrival and changing on these trains. So my questions are:

What track numbers are used (I’m sure they change all the time)?

I’ll be taking a sleeper on LSL so is there a lounge like Chicago for sleeper passengers?

Is Red Cap service available when exiting Acela and changing to LSL?

Would 3 hour layover be safe for this connection?

Would it be better to do this on a weekend or not?

Many thanks for your advice to this.

Track numbers change and with the working going on at NYP it is anyone's guess for the exact track. LIRR has its assigned tracks, etc.

The Acela Lounge at NYP is like the lounge in Washington, open to Sleeper and First Class passengers.

Red Caps are generally available, especially from the lounge to the LSL.

Since the Acelas keep pretty close to schedule, 3 hours should be sufficient.

If you are planning for this summer, be aware of the changes and or delays due to the track work at NYP.

What track numbers are used (I’m sure they change all the time)?

They change all of the time, NJ Transit tends to use 1-12, LIRR uses 13+, Amtrak tends to use 5-16. Not sure if the LSL has to use a specific track since it uses the old west side connector.

I’ll be taking a sleeper on LSL so is there a lounge like Chicago for sleeper passengers?

Yes, the Acela lounge is very nice, and they will pre-board you on the LSL from the lounge. If you are getting a roomette, try to get an even numbered one as the view of the Hudson during sunset is awesome (depending on what time of year you travel)

Is Red Cap service available when exiting Acela and changing to LSL?

Yes

Would 3 hour layover be safe for this connection?

Yes, more than plenty. I would be comfortable with 90 minutes.

Would it be better to do this on a weekend or not?

Given that the LSL leaves around 3:30 pm before the big rush hour rush, I am not sure it makes much difference.

Many thanks for your advice to this.

There are no good official Maps of Penn Station (that I have ever found), but I have found this unofficial map to be excellent. http://jasongibbs.com/pennstation/

Club Acela on on the upper level near the SW corner (8th and 31st). The biggest issue I have always had with Penn Station is just trying to get between the levels and finding the exits.

Acela can be on any track number. The LSL is ALWAYS on tracks #5-8, since those are the only tracks to connect to the Westside Connector.

The Club Acela is only for Acela First and sleeper passengers (and pass holders & Select+ and above members). WAS & NYP are the same. Unlike Chicago & other stations, BC does not entitle you to use Club Acela. (The lowest class on Acela is BC - there is no coach on Acela.)

Many thanks for the replies! This helps alot!. My plan for this trip is fall 2018 so no worries over this summer construction. I plan First Class on Acela and full bedroom on LSL.

The Acela Club is by Gate F if I remember correctly. Make sure you go there and not to the special Amtrak waiting area which is for all Amtrak passengers. At the latter, they check your ticket to see if you are an Amtrak passenger and the first time going from NYP on Amtrak, we went there instead and it wasn't what people described as the club. Then I found the real club.

I think you have WAS and NYP confused.

Gate F is at WAS and the general Amtrak waiting area where they check your ticket is at NYP. The Club Acela in WAS is in the center of the boarding area,behind the information desk. At NYP, it's next to gate 7-West.

Back