NS Meltdown over the former Southern?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twropr

Train Attendant
For the past two months Amtrak's CRESCENT has been losing an hour or more every day between Atlanta and New Orleans - very few on time trains. Looking at NS yard dwell time postings http://www.railroadpm.org/Home/RPM/Performance%20Reports/NS.aspx
shows drastic dwell time increases this month at Norris (Birmingham), DeButts (Chattanooga) and Sheffield, along with Roanoke on the N&W. With Norris reaching 51.6 hrs last week, this implies that trains are being held out, which would certainly impact Amtrak. Wonder what's going on?

​BTW there were meltdowns on the former CR Chicago Line during the fall of 2014, which were so bad that some LAKE SHORE and CAPITOL LIMTED trains were cancelled. This was when NS was introducing the AutoRouter feature in their train dispatcher's officer at Dearborn. Back then Wick Moorman was still the CEO and he got things corrected fast after Amtrak filed a complaint before the STB. Doesn't look like we have anyone taking on the NS down south these days.
Andy

Correct on the delays. Almost all are between Meridian and Atlanta. Meridian - Birmingham one problem and Anniston - Atlanta but more specifically Howell interlocking in ATL is fouled by CSX freights. Those delays are charged to NS not the culprit CSX. However for about the last 3 days no delays at Howell.

MEI-TCL and reverse have always been subject to delays. The crews call it the the Bermuda Triangle. Cannot explain ATN-ATL - hasn't been too much issue in the past. I understand that NS is implementing a new automated dispatch system and it may not account well for higher speed of passenger trains.

Any chance that the Bermuda Triangle situation will improve anytime soon? I typically catch the Crescent northbound at Toccoa or Greenville, and it's often an hour or more late. Annoying as heck for a departure that's already late at night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct on the delays. Almost all are between Meridian and Atlanta. Meridian - Birmingham one problem and Anniston - Atlanta but more specifically Howell interlocking in ATL is fouled by CSX freights. Those delays are charged to NS not the culprit CSX. However for about the last 3 days no delays at Howell.

Will CSX's changes help this cause?

Any chance that the Bermuda Triangle situation will improve anytime soon? I typically catch the Crescent northbound at Toccoa or Greenville, and it's often an hour or more late. Annoying as heck for a departure that's already late at night.
Not likely. Among other things, there are two good sized single track bridges and several stretches of single track with no sidings.

I understand that NS is implementing a new automated dispatch system and it may not account well for higher speed of passenger trains.
Jokingly referred to as Auto Slower. Auto Router is stupid at the idea. Look at what it did to the Cap and LSL. I think the Pittsburgh Division has it and they do a great job with trains 42/43. The small portion of the Harrisburg Division that it rides has it. They give those train great railroad.

Back