Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Silver Star Diner

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 A Voice

A Voice

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:08 AM

It would be nice if they removed the cost of the food from the sleepers, so the sleepers are cheaper, and the sleeper pax pay for their food. I'd suppose some passengers just want a bed to sleep in at night, and they don't need to eat in the diner car.

Amtrak has a finite supply of sleeper rooms, so from a revenue perspective it makes sense to price them at the highest point the market will bear.  That premium price includes meals which, as already noted, are also tied up with the dining car budget.  

Amidst all the talk of a less expensive coach configuration, I have to wonder about the potential of a premium-coach option with meals and other amenities included similar to sleepers which would, again, benefit the often attacked economics of the diner.  

#42 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:03 PM

Amidst all the talk of a less expensive coach configuration, I have to wonder about the potential of a premium-coach option with meals and other amenities included similar to sleepers which would, again, benefit the often attacked economics of the diner.

I like that idea, but I'm not sure how to work it with the demands that are already placed on diner LSAs. The most practical way I can think of would be a coupon which could be presented to the diner crew for meals and to the lounge attendant for coffee & tea and scanned or punched to prevent fraudulent re-use. Perhaps if you booked on-line in advance you could print your own coupon with a barcode for scanning, and if you booked at the last minute from an unstaffed station the conductor could be issued a few paper blanks which could be punched to validate them and to "X out" the meals which were not applicable.

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#43 Triley

Triley

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:53 PM

I like that idea, but I'm not sure how to work it with the demands that are already placed on diner LSAs. The most practical way I can think of would be a coupon which could be presented to the diner crew for meals and to the lounge attendant for coffee & tea and scanned or punched to prevent fraudulent re-use. Perhaps if you booked on-line in advance you could print your own coupon with a barcode for scanning, and if you booked at the last minute from an unstaffed station the conductor could be issued a few paper blanks which could be punched to validate them and to "X out" the meals which were not applicable.

We have nothing to scan barcodes with for verification, and you'd have to ensure that devices had a signal all the time to provide actual verification.

There would be nothing wrong with treating it like business class.  Show you me your printed ticket or e-ticket on your phone that says the words "business class" with today's train number and date, and you're all set.

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#44 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,918 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:03 PM

I was thinking exactly that. For inventory accounting purposes you could also obtain a signature on a slip like they do for non alcoholic beverages other than coffee, tea and water, in the Business Class on the Missouri State funded Amtrak River Runner Service

#45 RPC

RPC

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:59 PM

Here's a thought experiment...say you want to go NYP-MIA. It would technically be possible to take the Palmetto NYP-RVR, get lunch trackside, take the Carolinian RVR-CYN (or Raleigh), have a leisurely supper, then board your roomette in the Silver Star. Get off in Lakeland and get lunch while the Star trundles to Tampa and back, then reboard coach to MIA. (I actually suggested this to my family when we considering a Florida vacation this year - to say it got vetoed would be putting it mildly!)(The part about stopping for four hours in Raleigh or Cary intrigues me, though - there are some decent restaurants within walking distance of those stations.)

#46 John Bobinyec

John Bobinyec

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:42 PM

Here's a thought experiment...say you want to go NYP-MIA. It would technically be possible to take the Palmetto NYP-RVR, get lunch trackside, take the Carolinian RVR-CYN (or Raleigh), have a leisurely supper, then board your roomette in the Silver Star. Get off in Lakeland and get lunch while the Star trundles to Tampa and back, then reboard coach to MIA. (I actually suggested this to my family when we considering a Florida vacation this year - to say it got vetoed would be putting it mildly!)(The part about stopping for four hours in Raleigh or Cary intrigues me, though - there are some decent restaurants within walking distance of those stations.)

What was your plan if the Palmetto broke down somewhere and the Carolinian passed it?  Or if Carolinian broke down before you boarded it?

jb

LDS Been On:

Old: Phoebe Snow (EL), Montrealer (AT), Laurentian (D&H)

RBBB: St. Petersburg - W. Palm Beach, Lakeland - Atlanta, Baltimore - NYC, Rochester, NY - Hartford, Albuquerque - Salt Lake City, Denver - Chicago

Modern: Ocean (VIA), Silver Star, Capitol Limited, Texas Eagle, Autotrain, Carolinian, Southwest Chief, California Zephyr, Lake Shore Limited

#47 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:23 PM

There's always the Star coming behind the Carolinian. And worst case there is the Palmetto of the next day or earlier than that, the Meteor as your abort capsule

#48 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:29 PM

Cary station is just a block or so from a few restaurants. We walked around while waiting for our train. Not much in the way of nice places in our short walk but it was hot and sticky that day. Not a lot of downtown.

The existing Raleigh station from my memory was in a dumpy industrial area. I believe the new station will have lots of new development around it.

#49 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:35 PM

But from Raleigh Station the free downtown circulator bus stop is just two blocks away, and there are literally dozens of good eateries on its route. It also runs pretty frequently even on weekends.

#50 Woodcut60

Woodcut60

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains; Amtrak; American Railroad History

Posted 20 July 2017 - 12:37 PM

I missed the Dining Car experience badly when I rode this train last year. The food from the Café Car was awful.

Amtrak Routes Traveled: Lake Shore Limited, California Zephyr, San Joaquin, Pacific Surfliner, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Cardinal, Crescent, Sunset Limited, Southwest Chief, Hiawatha, City of New Orleans, Texas Eagle, Heartland Flyer, Missouri River Runner, Lincoln, Wolverine, Northeast Regional, Acela Express, Downeaster, Vermonter, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Capitol Limited, Pennsylvanian, Amtrak Cascades.

Other Routes in North America: Denali Star (Alaska Railroad), The Ocean (Halifax, NS-Montréal, QC), Corridor Montréal-Toronto, The Canadian (Toronto, ON-Vancouver, BC).

Amtrak: approx. 25,000 miles and 47 states.

VIA Rail Canada: approx. 4,300 miles and eight provinces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users