22 replies to this topic

#21 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,292 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:49 AM

Light rail service to Maricopa? I just can't see it. Maricopa is way beyond what I'd consider a reasonable extension of Valley Metro light rail service. Given that there isn't even local bus service in Maricopa (as best I can tell), the recently-started Thruway connection between Maricopa - Tempe - Phoenix is probably going to have to suffice.

Palm Springs? California has been studying additional rail service from Los Angeles to the Coachella Valley. Most recently the thought had been 2 Amtrak roundtrips/day, but the cost numbers were, uh, not promising.

#22 bretton88

bretton88

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:15 PM

The political will for restoring service to downtown Phoenix, in both Phoenix and Arizona as a whole, seems to be missing. I have no idea why. Just no traction at all.

I wonder if it would be more effective now that Phoenix has a large local rail system and Tucson has a small one. Probably not: they still don't seem to be able to get traction for Phoenix-Tuscon rail, or even commuter rail to Wickenburg, and Amtrak seems to be totally outside their attention. I think we have better odds of getting a day train from Cleveland to Chicago.

Any political will is being spent on Phoenix to Tuscon rail plans, though I think the cost #s have caused everyone to even step back from that.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

If I won the lottery, I'd probably build a passenger from nowhere to nowhere.

#23 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,995 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:46 AM

Phoenix-Tucson is cheap at <$5 billion, which can be bonded over 20 or 30 years.  (AZDOT spends $3 billion per year.)  But the state government is still fairly road-obsessed.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users