24 replies to this topic

#21 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:49 AM

Light rail service to Maricopa? I just can't see it. Maricopa is way beyond what I'd consider a reasonable extension of Valley Metro light rail service. Given that there isn't even local bus service in Maricopa (as best I can tell), the recently-started Thruway connection between Maricopa - Tempe - Phoenix is probably going to have to suffice.

Palm Springs? California has been studying additional rail service from Los Angeles to the Coachella Valley. Most recently the thought had been 2 Amtrak roundtrips/day, but the cost numbers were, uh, not promising.

#22 bretton88

bretton88

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:15 PM

The political will for restoring service to downtown Phoenix, in both Phoenix and Arizona as a whole, seems to be missing. I have no idea why. Just no traction at all.

I wonder if it would be more effective now that Phoenix has a large local rail system and Tucson has a small one. Probably not: they still don't seem to be able to get traction for Phoenix-Tuscon rail, or even commuter rail to Wickenburg, and Amtrak seems to be totally outside their attention. I think we have better odds of getting a day train from Cleveland to Chicago.

Any political will is being spent on Phoenix to Tuscon rail plans, though I think the cost #s have caused everyone to even step back from that.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

If I won the lottery, I'd probably build a passenger from nowhere to nowhere.

#23 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,000 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:46 AM

Phoenix-Tucson is cheap at <$5 billion, which can be bonded over 20 or 30 years.  (AZDOT spends $3 billion per year.)  But the state government is still fairly road-obsessed.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#24 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:00 PM

To add Phoenix, the SL would have to be a daily train first, then the Arizona political power would have to back the project.  If the UP is using the west bound track for car storage, it still exists, but to what quality of repair?  Arizona would need to put up money for Station upgrading or rebuilding.  Being that John McCain is extremely anti-Amtrak, I see this proposal failing until new blood is elected that is open to rail transportation.

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                Southwest Chief        Coast Starlight                                    Empire Service

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 206,000

#25 Anthony V

Anthony V

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:22 PM

To add Phoenix, the SL would have to be a daily train first, then the Arizona political power would have to back the project.  If the UP is using the west bound track for car storage, it still exists, but to what quality of repair?  Arizona would need to put up money for Station upgrading or rebuilding.  Being that John McCain is extremely anti-Amtrak, I see this proposal failing until new blood is elected that is open to rail transportation.

I think the Sunset Limited not being daily was a major reason there was no interest in doing what was necessary to keep the train directly serving Phoenix back in 1996. If the SL ever goes daily (unlikely to happen anytime soon, unfortunately), there may be more of a push to bring the train back to Phoenix proper, especially considering the problems at the Maricopa station. The West Line's tracks were never torn up, so it will be much easier to restore it than it would've been if it would've been totally abandoned. UP still uses them for freight car storage.

Trains I've traveled on:

Metra:

BNSF Railway Line

Union Pacific Northwest Line

Union Pacific West Line

Tourist railroads:

Rockford Park District Trolley Car #36 - Rockford, IL

Illinois Railway Museum - Union, IL

Mid-Continent Railway Museum - North Freedom, WI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users