Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Flights canceled in Phoenix due to heat

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:55 AM

It’s so hot in Phoenix, planes are physically unable to fly

https://www.theverge...-cancel-science

Extreme heat affects a plane’s ability to take off, especially smaller jets like those that service American Airlines’ regional routes. Larger aircraft manufactured by Boeing and Airbus have maximum operating temperatures of 127 degrees. But smaller planes, like the Bombardier CRJ regional aircraft, can only operate at a maximum temperature of 118 degrees.

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#2 fairviewroad

fairviewroad

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:14 AM

1. Build a giant, air-conditioned dome over the airport.

2. Strategically place flaps in the dome that the air traffic controllers can quickly open and close.

3. Pilots aim for these flaps upon take-off and landing.

4. I've solved your problem, Phoenix. You're welcome.

#3 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,246 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:25 PM

In recent years planes have been sinking into melting tarmac as well.  Good thing we outlawed science and physics.

I used to be with ‘it,’ but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it,’ and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

#4 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:36 PM

2. Strategically place flaps in the dome that the air traffic controllers can quickly open and close.

Here in Houston we might consider such a solution workable....

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#5 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,258 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:42 PM

Trump would say..."fake news".... :P

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#6 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,303 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:50 PM

When the ATC is privatized they can charge Airlines extra for Take Off/Landing Clearance!🤔😄
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#7 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,258 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:40 PM

Here in Houston we might consider such a solution workable....

Or......they could borrow a trick from a long time ago....attach a pair of RATO.s to the aircraft...

Edited by railiner, 21 June 2017 - 02:18 PM.

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#8 Hotblack Desiato

Hotblack Desiato

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:37 AM

It's incorrect to say the planes are physically unable to fly.

It's just that the certified performance charts of those types of planes only go up to a certain maximum temperature.  Those charts are what get used for load planning, runway calculations, etc.  Once above that temperature, there is no guide for what is legal & safe.

#9 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:24 AM

In recent years planes have been sinking into melting tarmac as well.  Good thing we outlawed science and physics.

Maybe they should try that ancient Roman invention - concrete?

SJ - Norra Stambanan, Nordvästra stambanan, Södra stambanan, Dalabanan

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

#10 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,246 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:01 AM

Maybe they should try that ancient Roman invention - concrete?

Replacing the asphalt aprons and taxiways of major airports with cement is expensive and time consuming. There are some newer more temperature resistant formulations of asphalt but as temperatures keep going up they'll eventually need to be replaced as well. Over time cement use is becoming more common but considering it took decades to build what they have now it will likely take decades more to dig it up, haul it away, and replace it again. These are major multi-year projects that take substantial time and resources to complete. Not to mention funding it all. It's not just taxes and PFC's that will increase but landing fees, parking fees, and retail prices.

I used to be with ‘it,’ but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it,’ and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

#11 MARC Rider

MARC Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:45 AM

Looks like it's time for the return of the Zeppelins!  Or build a satellite airport in Flagstaff, where it's higher in altitude and cooler and build a rail line from Phoenix.

#12 saxman

saxman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts
  • Interests:Trains, planes, maps, and music

Posted 22 June 2017 - 07:03 PM

CRJ's are limited to ISA+35ºC for takeoff. It's pretty much Bombardier's upper limitation. ISA or International Standard Atmosphere is 15ºC (59ºF) at sea level. Phoenix is at 1135 feet elevation so it's ISA would be about 13ºC, assuming a 2ºC lapse rate per 1,000 feet of elevation. So the limitation at PHX is indeed 48ºC or 118ºF. 

Salt Lake City was pretty close to being over the limit too and SLC is much higher than PHX is at 4200 feet. ISA temp at SLC is about 7ºC so that would make 42ºC or 108ºF the limiting temp. Denver's maximum temperature would be even lower!

Edited by saxman, 22 June 2017 - 07:03 PM.

Amtrak Miles: 203,395 (as of 9/21/16)

#13 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,195 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 01 July 2017 - 01:40 PM

When the ATC is privatized they can charge Airlines extra for Take Off/Landing Clearance!

They already do. It is all packaged in the landing fee.

#14 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:12 PM

Climate change is going to make air travel even more nightmarish, study says
Flights during high heat will need to be much lighter in order to achieve liftoff

https://www.theverge...reme-heat-study

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users