Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amtrak Train Near Bryan/College Station, TX

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 jla956

jla956

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:11 AM

We were leaving out of the Bryan/College Station, Texas area today and heading northeast on Hwy 6.  Just north of Bryan and right before we got to Hearne, TX we saw an Amtrak train with about six cars in it heading southbound toward Bryan - all the cars seemed to be pretty full.  We all commented that we didn't know that Amtrak had any trains running between Dallas and College Station.  Could this perhaps have been a rerouted train that was sent down this way?  If this is a regular route where was the train coming from and heading to?  Thanks in advance for your help and answers.

#2 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:24 AM

The Texas Eagle is under a re-route detour until June 22nd between Longview, TX and Taylor, TX.  Amtrak is using buses for the stops in between.

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                 Coast Starlight                          

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 211,000

#3 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,005 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:40 AM

The Texas Eagle is under a re-route detour until June 22nd between Longview, TX and Taylor, TX.  Amtrak is using buses for the stops in between.

This! ( I rode it last week!)
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#4 jla956

jla956

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:20 AM

That explains it then.  After reading your post I found the following article that details exactly what the new routes are for both the north and south bound trains.  This also explains why we haven't seen any of the twice daily Amtrak trains passing through Forney for the past few weeks.  UP has the tracks all torn up here in town and it's a real mess at the crossings.  http://texasrailadvo...hrough-june-21/

#5 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:26 AM

I'd love to see Amtrak service to return to College Station, TX (Texas A&M). How does this reroute compare to the current TE?

Trains Traveled:

Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA) 
Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI)
Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS)
Lake Short Limited (NYP-CHI)
Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL)
Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX)
California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY)
City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL)

Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#6 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,464 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:37 AM

WOW! I wish I were in Texas! I would LOVE to take this reroute! How was the trip, Jim? Slow and lumbering along at 35 MPH or enjoyable? Looks like it passes through Palestine, the home of the Texas State Railroad (or whoever owns it now).

8 hours to cover what takes a car 4... Yikes.

Edited by VentureForth, 19 June 2017 - 11:51 AM.

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#7 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,005 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:00 PM

WOW! I wish I were in Texas! I would LOVE to take this reroute! How was the trip, Jim? Slow and lumbering along at 35 MPH or enjoyable? Looks like it passes through Palestine, the home of the Texas State Railroad (or whoever owns it now).

8 hours to cover what takes a car 4... Yikes.

There are 2 different Routes, #22 runs with a UP Pilot from Taylor to Rockdale, Hearne, Palestine, Kilgore and into Longview with a Crew Change in Hearne. (T&E)The Crews,spend the night in Ft Worth and commute in a Van to/from Hearne.

#21 Leaves Longview to Big Sandy, does a backing move there and heads to Tyler,Athens,Corsicana,Hearne (Crew Change)and into Taylor where it rejoins the Regular Eagle Route.

The Schedule has been readjusted to allow for an One Hour later arrival for #21/#421 from Longview to San Antonio and a One Hour Earlier arrival for #22 at Longview,but Heavy UP Freight Traffic is causing delays at all stops in Texas most days.

The going is Slow due to the track and switch conditions, butt's cool seeing the various towns in East Texas long without Passenger Rail and the Farms,Forests and Swamps of Green East Texas. ( it Rains alot)😎

The Texas State Railroad is a State Park ( from Palestine to Rusk)and bids are being taken to Operate the Trains since IPs Financial Troubles resulted in the,Contract being Voided and them being sued for Taxes and Fees due the State (Hundreds of Thousands).

Edited by Bob Dylan, 19 June 2017 - 01:07 PM.

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#8 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,758 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:11 PM

We (the OTOL Fest gang)  just got notification that 22 will be departing one hour earlier than its usual schedule on the day we are taking it back from Dallas to Chicago in July. I wonder what is causing that.

#9 printman2000

printman2000

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,695 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:37 PM

We (the OTOL Fest gang)  just got notification that 22 will be departing one hour earlier than its usual schedule on the day we are taking it back from Dallas to Chicago in July. I wonder what is causing that.

What day do you board? We will be going Fort Worth to Chicago departing July 3rd.

I have not gotten informed of any changes.

#10 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,005 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:11 PM

I'd check with Amtrak for sure since there is strong talk among the Eagle Crews and Station Agents that the UP Track Work currently going on between Longview and Dallas will be extenxed past June 22nd, so the Reroute and Bustitutions will continue if so!

There could also be track work between STL and CHI!!!

Hope y'all don't have to ride a Bus from FTW to Longview!😣

Edited by Bob Dylan, 19 June 2017 - 03:14 PM.

#11 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,758 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:25 PM

I received a modified itinerary that has the train picking us up at Dallas, but leaving one hour earlier. This may be to account for track work between STL and CHI. We'll see. The arrival in Chicago remains unchanged in the modified schedule.

What day do you board? We will be going Fort Worth to Chicago departing July 3rd.

I have not gotten informed of any changes.

We are traveling after middle of the month, on the 20th to be precise.

And lo and behold, just got an email essentially reversing the change in the previous notification, returning the departure time to the normal 3:40pm from Dallas! Looks like they can;t quite make up their mind about stuff. :P

Edited by jis, 19 June 2017 - 03:49 PM.

#12 jla956

jla956

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:14 PM

So while this reroute is going on could I buy a ticket from Longview to Austin and then board in Longview and take this reroute all the way to Austin without having to get on a bus?  This would allow us to ride this reroute while it's still running.  Also, how do we determine if the reroute has been extended past June 22nd?

#13 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:59 PM

So while this reroute is going on could I buy a ticket from Longview to Austin and then board in Longview and take this reroute all the way to Austin without having to get on a bus?  This would allow us to ride this reroute while it's still running.  Also, how do we determine if the reroute has been extended past June 22nd?

Yes, no bus would be necessary. If the reroute is extended Amtrak should make an announcement; someone will very likely also post the information in this thread.
Trains travelled: Capitol Limited WAS-CHI, Cardinal CHI-WAS, Carolinian CLT-RGH, Coast Starlight SJC-LAX, Crescent BAL-ATL, Empire Builder MSP-CHI, Empire Service NYP-NFL+NYG-YNY, Lake Shore Limited BOS-ALB, Maple Leaf ALB-NYP, Northeast Regional FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, Pacific Surfliner LAX-ANA, Pennsylvanian NYP-PGH, Piedmont RGH-DNC, Silver Meteor ORL-NYP, Silver Star FTL-WAS, 2016 Autumn Express NYP-HAR-NYP

Upcoming New Routes: Lake Shore Limited NYP-CHI (December), California Zephyr CHI-RIC (December), Coast Starlight SJC-SEA (December), Empire Builder SEA-MSP (January).

Non Amtrak: Atlanta Streetcar, Caltrain, CTA, DC Streetcar, Hudson-Bergen Light Rail, LIRR, MARC, MARTA, MBTA Subway, Metra, Metrolink, Metro-North, METRO Transit Light Rail, Miami Metrorail, Muni Metro, NJT Commuter Rail, North Star, NYC Subway, PATH, Pittsburgh Light Rail, River Line (NJT), SEPTA Regional Rail, SEPTA Subway, South Shore Line, Sunrail, Staten Island Railway, TECO Streetcar, Tri-Rail, Washington Metro

#14 jla956

jla956

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 03:37 PM

This afternoon we saw the westbound Amtrak train passing through Forney again, so they must have the route back open between Longview and Dallas.

#15 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 04:53 PM

Train 21 took the normal route but 22 is on the detour.  Officially, the detour is in effect through the 29th per Amtrak.

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                 Coast Starlight                          

#16 saxman

saxman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,335 posts
  • Interests:Trains, planes, maps, and music

Posted 24 June 2017 - 09:56 PM

I took the detour last week going north. It was interesting and I could imagine passing through all the towns that don't ever get a passenger train. Crossing I-45 at Buffalo on a rail bridge I've seen a hundred times from the interstate was interesting too. I didn't get to the do the southbound as I would have liked to see Tyler, Athens, and Corsicana. Corsicana was an Amtrak stop as well for the Houston section of the Texas Eagle until it was canned in the 90's.

Amtrak Miles: 203,395 (as of 9/21/16)

#17 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:08 AM

I am looking forward to the detour this week.

Trains Traveled On:

#18 dogbert617

dogbert617

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 12:53 PM

This'd be an interesting detour, to ride on for the TE. I'll have to look at this route on Google Maps, later. It is interesting to think there used to be a branch of the TE that ran from Dallas to Houston, years ago.

#19 printman2000

printman2000

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,695 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 01:33 PM

This'd be an interesting detour, to ride on for the TE. I'll have to look at this route on Google Maps, later. It is interesting to think there used to be a branch of the TE that ran from Dallas to Houston, years ago.

I was fortunate to get to ride the Texas Eagle from Houston to Arkansas when I was a Senior in high school.

#20 dogbert617

dogbert617

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 01:58 PM

I was fortunate to get to ride the Texas Eagle from Houston to Arkansas when I was a Senior in high school.

That's good you got to ride that branch in the past, and I presume probably at least several times? It is weird that branch was cut, but I guess that had to do with ridership numbers? A la what led to the Pioneer(Wyoming-SLC-Idaho(including Boise-Portland) and Desert Wind(SLC-Las Vegas-LA) being cut, back in the mid-90s. Hopefully all those areas do see a restoration of Amtrak long distance train service, someday. Though I worry it'll be a long process, if how long it has taken for steps to restore Sunset Limited service east of New Orleans is any indication. Though I've been hearing more talk that this might now be done, by extending the CONO route east of New Orleans.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users