Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Moonlight Dome on Amtrak #5(18)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Agent

Agent

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:52 PM

I caught the westbound California Zephyr arriving in Ottumwa, Iowa this evening with the Baltimore and Ohio dome car Moonlight Dome.  (Also some nice demonstrations of track safety awareness by a few locals.)

#2 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:08 PM

I caught the westbound California Zephyr arriving in Ottumwa, Iowa this evening with the Baltimore and Ohio dome car Moonlight Dome.  (Also some nice demonstrations of track safety awareness by a few locals.)

Now, now, you can't realistically expect them to wait a full minute and twenty-one seconds, now, can you?

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#3 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,253 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:59 PM

That's a pretty rare example of a Budd built "low profile" dome car, one of three originally built for the 'stillborn' C&O "Chessie" streamliner.   B&O also had a pair of Pullman-Standard built low profile domes, (distinctive all flat panel glass).   

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#4 Blackwolf

Blackwolf

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Interests:Public Safety, passenger rail, travel, hunting, fishing

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:21 PM

Would I be correct in guessing the reason for the low profile was the catenary in and around Washington DC?

Amtrak
Capitol Corridor (too many times to count!); Coast Starlight (x21); California Zephyr (x7); Empire Builder (x2); Lake Shore Limited (x4); Maple Leaf (x1); Adirondack (x2); Cascades (x1); Pacific Surfliner (x6); San Joaquin (x8); Capitol Limited (x1); Cardinal (x2); Acela (x1)
VIA Rail
Ocean (x4); Windsor Corridor (x2); The Canadian (x1)

#5 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,253 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:02 AM

Correct, and possibly some other clearance issues...
I have ridden on B&O domes in and out of Washington, and as a further safety precaution, they did not allow dome occupancy until (or after) Silver Springs. They had a velvet rope across the bottom of the stairway.

The low profile domes were about 6 or 7 inches lower than the "standard" height (15' 10") domes...

Edited by railiner, 21 June 2017 - 06:03 AM.

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users