• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 norfolkwesternhenry

norfolkwesternhenry

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Boating, Trains, Mountain Biking, Trains, Having Fun, Trains, working on my bikes, Trains, planning my next trip, PV, trains, planning trips for family

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:08 PM

So when I was on the EB last year, going through the cascade tunnel, I was standing at the rear window, with a powerful flashlight to light uo the tunnel. There was a bar across the diaphragm, so I couldn't walk off the end of the train. I was tempted to try and open the door and stand of the rear, between the bar and the door, because it looked like there was enough space. Could I have done this, or would the door have been locked. Amtrak doesn't have rules about this (that I know of) for obvious reasons.

Empire Builder MSP-CHI (2) CHI-MSP (2) MSP-PDX (1) MSP-CBS (5.5 H late) (1) MKE-MSP (1) MSP-SEA (1) Coast Starlate PDX-EMY (1.5H late) (1) California Zephyr DEN-SLC (1H late) (1) Hiawatha CHI-MKE (1) NE Regional WAS-BAL (1) WAS-NYP (1) Acela Express BAL-WAS (1) BOS-WAS (1) Late Shore (Limited service) CHI-BOS (On Time) (1) Capitol Limited WAS-CHI (1) Texas Eagle SAS-CHI (1.5 HR late, 1 HR late) (2) CHI-SAS (1) (55 min early) Wolverine DET-DER-ARB-CHI (35 Min late) (1) Cascades SEA-VAC (1)
Non-Amtrak: VIA: Corridor Service Q.C.-Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto-Windsor (1) Canadian: VAC-Winnipeg 4.5 H late (1) D. C. metro, Montreal Metro, Toronto subway, Portland streetcars, BART, Metra, NYC subway, Boston subway, Twin cities Blue/Green line
train cars travelled in: Superliner: Coach, Sleeper, Diner, CCC, SSL. Amfleet: LD Café, Café/Business, coach. Viewliner: Sleeper, Diner. Acela: Café, Business, quiet car. Horizon: Coach. Talgo: coach, diner, café; non Amtrak: ex CP Via Canadian Manor cars, Park car, diner,sleeper, Skyline lounge. LRC trainset: coach (tilt de-activated)

No trees were killed to make this, but a number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

My apologies if I offend you, or seem stubborn, it's simply my nature. I am 14 after all, and my English isn't exactly perfect.

#2 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:07 PM

Not a good idea! The crew would frown on that.

The door may be locked anyway.

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#3 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:30 AM

I'm pretty sure that under normal circumstances that door will be locked.

If you look at cars such as inspection cars that actually have a rear viewing platform that you can officially stand on while the train is moving, there is much more than a simple bar to prevent you falling off.

#4 CCC1007

CCC1007

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:50 AM

Not to mention the fumes in the tunnel in question are very irritating at best, deadly at worst...

#5 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:20 AM

And you wonder why Amtrak doesn't want you traveling without supervision.

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015: May: CHI=>CIN(pd-Card) / CIN=>WIL(pts Card)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

2016: Mar: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct:  WIL=>NYP=>NYP=>WIL (Autumn Express) 

#6 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,398 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:55 AM

He also has an exceptional sense of balance. If Amtrak would test that, they would recognize his extraordinary abilities and give him a "you can go places other people can't" pass.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#7 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:28 PM

So when I was on the EB last year, going through the cascade tunnel, I was standing at the rear window, with a powerful flashlight to light uo the tunnel. There was a bar across the diaphragm, so I couldn't walk off the end of the train. I was tempted to try and open the door and stand of the rear, between the bar and the door, because it looked like there was enough space. Could I have done this, or would the door have been locked. Amtrak doesn't have rules about this (that I know of) for obvious reasons.

Not locked, but disabled so only those authorized to open the door can do so.

1963U. S. Congress - underground trolley system • Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

Amtrak: California Zephyr Coast Starlight •  Southwest ChiefSunset LimitedTexas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr

. . . . . . . Amtrak miles - 16,383, so far.

#8 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:39 PM

I hope it's not locked.... That's an emergency exit!

I do hope it's disabled so no one can just press the "push" button and open the door.

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#9 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:53 PM

Good grief, Henry.

If we are ever on the same train, remind me to not ask you for directions if I get lost. ("How do I get to the dining car?" "Right this way, lady--just remove the bar put up there to keep you from falling out and we'll drop a picnic onto the tracks for you.....") :giggle:

Quite seriously, though--please don't put yourself in positions where you can be hurt, or go where no one knows where you are or if you are in trouble, on a train or elsewhere. We want you around for a long time! :)

Edited by Mystic River Dragon, 09 August 2017 - 01:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users