33 replies to this topic

#21 printman2000

printman2000

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:18 PM

In all my Amtrak travels I have never seen a rescan done and certainly never asked for my ticket a second time.

#22 looshi

looshi

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:39 AM

I've seen it done on the Cardinal at CVS and on some of the Virginia regional trains at WAS.

#23 Triley

Triley

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:36 AM

I've seen it done on the Cardinal at CVS and on some of the Virginia regional trains at WAS.

*all Virginia trains at WAS.

And the Palmetto too I'd suspect, since passenger changeover would be quite high there.

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#24 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,801 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:10 AM

I honestly cannot remember being re-scanned on the LD network except in cases where there was some sort of confusion between the conductor and SCA early in my trip. So long as I'm not sleeping or otherwise indisposed I probably wouldn't care that much.

If I had a tumor I'd name it Marla.

#25 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,329 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:07 PM

*all Virginia trains at WAS.

And the Palmetto too I'd suspect, since passenger changeover would be quite high there.
And the one North Carolina train too.

#26 chakk

chakk

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:08 PM

In all my Amtrak travels I have never seen a rescan done and certainly never asked for my ticket a second time.

Ditto for me on my now more than 40 years of Amtrak journeys.

#27 PaTrainFan

PaTrainFan

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Travel, especially by train, Canada, college sports, baseball and apple pie.

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:34 PM

It's happened to me many times on the Pennsylvanian in Philadelphia when travelling through to either New York or Pittsburgh, but never on a long distance train.

Edited by PaTrainFan, 21 June 2017 - 05:35 PM.

#28 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:21 AM

As you can see, it is an instruction in the blue book that some of you like to tout. However, better judgement will usually prevail and most people are not going to disturb passengers on a train if the seating chart is valid and/or passengers are asleep.

Chalk it up to the "inconsistencies" among crews.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#29 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:17 PM

So the question begs to be asked.... If a conductor on an overnight train decides to make it a regular habit of waking all passengers up, coach and sleeper, to scan their tickets... They would be "just doing their jobs?"

Oh Amtrak..... Ha.

By the way there are times when I can see it makes perfect sense to do a full ticket sweep for various reasons. I just think after every crew change seems like an odd rule... But that's never stopped Amtrak before!

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#30 Triley

Triley

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:36 PM

So the question begs to be asked.... If a conductor on an overnight train decides to make it a regular habit of waking all passengers up, coach and sleeper, to scan their tickets... They would be "just doing their jobs?"

Oh Amtrak..... Ha.

By the way there are times when I can see it makes perfect sense to do a full ticket sweep for various reasons. I just think after every crew change seems like an odd rule... But that's never stopped Amtrak before!

What is the point of harping on it? This subject had already been beaten to death. The rules say yes, in the real world it's no, except on the corridor due to the amount of passenger changeover.

Edited by Triley, Yesterday, 12:41 PM.

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#31 printman2000

printman2000

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,655 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:52 PM

Oh Amtrak..... Ha.

What is the point of harping on it? This subject had already been beaten to death. The rules say yes, in the real world it's no, except on the corridor due to the amount of passenger changeover.

Umm, they are simply commenting on what this thread is about. If you are not interested in continuing discussion, you can simply unsubscribe from this thread. Not sure why the harsh response.

#32 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:12 PM

Oh Amtrak..... Ha.

Well the corridor doesn't really count... the ticket sweep would be done based on the passenger turnover, not the crew change. Meaning even if the crew didn't change, a ticket sweep would still likely be standard practice. This goes for Cascades trains in Seattle, Surfliner in LA etc. 

I guess that's why I'm "harping" on it.. it is a rule that I have pretty much never seen followed. I remember a certain conductor on the Crescent ALWAYS doing a ticket sweep (and insisting that everyone show ID's) when she came on duty..  but that's about it in the LD network. 

My point in the last post that I made was... wouldn't this rule, if properly followed, result in many customer complaints? (speaking specifically about Conductors coming on duty in the middle of the night). 

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#33 Hal

Hal

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:26 PM

As you can see, it is an instruction in the blue book that some of you like to tout. However, better judgement will usually prevail and most people are not going to disturb passengers on a train if the seating chart is valid and/or passengers are asleep.

Chalk it up to the "inconsistencies" among crews.

Of course passengers are not going to be disturbed when they are asleep in the middle of the night. We were merely explaining to the original poster that their ticket was rescanned after a crew change because of a ticket sweep that is supposed to be done. Does that mean that a ticket sweep is done in the middle of the night when passengers are sleeping. No, that is a leap made by some of the rail screwballs who populate this board who don't have anything better to do than harp. The Blue Book is applied with common sense by most crews, not in a literal sense. The Blue Book even gives an example of when not to do a ticket sweep.

"b) Since each Sleeping Car has an assigned OBS Attendant, there is more control over who is traveling in the car. Therefore, except in extreme situations, it is advisable to avoid a ticket sweep through the Sleeping Cars, thereby minimizing the disturbance of those passengers."

#34 ehbowen

ehbowen

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:21 PM

No, that is a leap made by some of the rail screwballs who populate this board who don't have anything better to do than harp.

I take objection to being classed as a "screwball." I prefer to be referred to as a "nutcase."

Posted Image 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users