5 replies to this topic

#1 LookingGlassTie

LookingGlassTie

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:09 PM

Last Friday evening, on my return trip from BAL to NPN on the 83 Northeast Regional, we were just about to pull out of ALX when we heard that a CSX dispatcher held our train there due to a pedestrian being hit by a northbound Amtrak train in Lorton (about 20 miles south of ALX).   I think we were held there for about 1 1/2 hours.

So far, I haven't checked any news sources to find out more about the accident.   Apparently the pedestrian was trespassing and the local police are treating it as a crime scene.  Has anyone here heard about it?

Also, I don't know the name or number of the NB Amtrak train involved in the incident.

"And you know that notion just crossed my mind............"

#2 Triley

Triley

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:26 PM

It's rarely news worthy, it happens way too often to be. I had one (my first) on 139 last Sunday, then 141 had one less than 12 hours later, then someone was laying in the gauge in Linden a few hours later.

But going to the Amtrak app and just plugging in northbound train numbers around that time makes it look like it was train 90. Everything else was delayed, but they were the only one I came across put in a service disruption. They were 46 minutes late leaving Richmond, and 3:04 late to Alexandria.

Edited by Triley, 18 June 2017 - 01:33 PM.

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#3 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,632 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 18 June 2017 - 02:28 PM

Yes. It was indeed 90.

#4 afigg

afigg

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,874 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 04:32 PM

So far, I haven't checked any news sources to find out more about the accident.   Apparently the pedestrian was trespassing and the local police are treating it as a crime scene.  Has anyone here heard about it?

The Washington Post has a short news report on the incident, but it provides little additional information beyond that it occurred just south of the Woodbridge station and VRE had to bus passengers: Train strikes pedestrian in Northern Virginia. As noted, these incidents are unfortunately too common to get much news coverage beyond a short newswire reports.

#5 LookingGlassTie

LookingGlassTie

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 04:53 PM

Yes. It was indeed 90.

That's the northbound Palmetto  :)

#6 LookingGlassTie

LookingGlassTie

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 04:56 PM

The Washington Post has a short news report on the incident, but it provides little additional information beyond that it occurred just south of the Woodbridge station and VRE had to bus passengers: Train strikes pedestrian in Northern Virginia. As noted, these incidents are unfortunately too common to get much news coverage beyond a short newswire reports.

Yep I read that WaPo story.............

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users