Operating costs of a diesel loco

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norfolkwesternhenry

Lead Service Attendant
What exactly are the costs associated with owning and operating a diesel loco, especially F units and SD40-2/3 (my favorites). If I ever become the rich man I want to be, I want my own personal engine to pull my private train of five PV's.

Off the top of my head, you'd have to factor in the cost of storage, maintenance, fuel, certifications and inspections. You'd also have to factor in parts and labor.

If you really want to go this route then in all seriousness you might be better off to consider purchasing your own short line railroad. You'll get shop employees with tools and training and knowledge of industry requirements who will become familiar with your PV equipment, a home road for paperwork and regulatory compliance as well as short-distance excursions whenever you feel like it, and if there's any decent potential for online traffic you might even come close to breaking even on the deal.

In order to give at least a partial answer to your initial query, the Galveston Railroad Museum has a pair of operational and Amtrak-qualified F7 "Warbonnet" locomotives (not original ATSF equipment, but rebuilt and painted in that scheme under BNSF license). They are available for charter; the base rate is $6000 per day, per unit. You supply crew and fuel, plus whatever the railroad charges for you to operate over their tracks. There are also two Amtrak-certified coach cars and a buffet/dining car; they charter for $2000 per day per car. Again, you supply crew (and food for the diner) and make arrangements to have them hauled.

As with most things in life those charges are negotiable, especially for extended charter periods, but that is where the discussion will start.

Back