Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Speeding up the TE

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:06 PM

If there is a protection unit there I don't remember it being used. Definitely don't remember seeing a unit, do remember a unit in FTW but was told it wasn't for protection, rather for switching.  Never could figure out what was being switched by Amtrak. 

The SL/CS connection going west is used by several people I know and might by many more if the SL was daily.

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                 Coast Starlight                          

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 211,000

#42 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,046 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:28 PM

The SL/CS connection going west is used by several people I know and might by many more if the SL was daily.

A daily Sunset would be best, but simply returning to the previous schedule could help many of us.  I'd like to take Amtrak from SAS to LAX but the 2:45AM - 4:50AM dwell times are not conducive to a pleasant experience.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 19 July 2017 - 09:29 PM.

We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier. 

#43 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:56 AM

The middle of the night SAS times are poor. A solution would be to open up the 421 Sleeper when it arrives in SAS at 9:55 or as early as 8:45 if running on time. Going the opposite direction, allow Sleeper passengers to remain on Board until after all the switching has. Even completed. This would ease some of the middle of the night boarding times of Sleeper passengers without spending much since the SCA is already. Another thought would be to make better use of San Marcos just north of San Antonio.

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                 Coast Starlight                          

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 211,000

#44 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,026 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 20 July 2017 - 01:02 PM

Couple of comments about Lonestar648's Post:

The Texas Eagle #21/#421 usually arrives into SAS between 930pm and 1030pm while the Sunset Ltd.#1 often arrives early from Houston about 11PM.

Pasengers on the #421 through Sleeper and Coach can stay aboard during the switching or detrain, their choice.

Several times I have boarded the #1 and #421 Sleeper or Coach in SAS soon as the Switching was over. (after talking with the New Conductor and SCA.) The train then left at the scheduled 245am departure time.

On the #421 and #422 Cars New SCAs take over the Cars after the Switching is complete.

Same thing for #2/#422 which generally arrives around 6am ish, and the #22/422 then leaves @ 700am headed for CHI.

As for San Marcos,its 50+ Miles North of SA on the 24/7 Parking Lot aka I-35. There is a lack of parking spaces, and no safe parking, at the Unstaffed Intermodel Station where one boards/detrains at a small shed like structure with a short platform.

I agree that the dwell times are too long in San Antonio, especially for the #1/#421 Train, and the Wee Hours arrival into LAX is Ridiculous!😣

Edited by Bob Dylan, 20 July 2017 - 01:15 PM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#45 norfolkwesternhenry

norfolkwesternhenry

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Boating, Trains, Mountain Biking, Trains, Having Fun, Trains, working on my bikes, Trains, planning my next trip, PV, trains, planning trips for family

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:06 PM

Two possibilities I can think of:

• FTW protection unit was temporarily moved to Marshall during the reroute but is back home now.
  • Brain fart

true, but we were talking with the people in charge of western Diesel operations, and the guy backed up Chris (VP of operations)

Empire Builder MSP-CHI (2) CHI-MSP (2) MSP-PDX (1) MSP-CBS (5.5 H late) (1) MKE-MSP (1) MSP-SEA (1) Coast Starlate PDX-EMY (1.5H late) (1) California Zephyr DEN-SLC (1H late) (1) Hiawatha CHI-MKE (1) NE Regional WAS-BAL (1) WAS-NYP (1) Acela Express BAL-WAS (1) BOS-WAS (1) Late Shore (Limited service) CHI-BOS (On Time) (1) Capitol Limited WAS-CHI (1) Texas Eagle SAS-CHI (1.5 HR late, 1 HR late) (2) CHI-SAS (1) (55 min early) Wolverine DET-DER-ARB-CHI (35 Min late) (1) Cascades SEA-VAC (1)
Non-Amtrak: VIA: Corridor Service Q.C.-Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto-Windsor (1) Canadian: VAC-Winnipeg 4.5 H late (1) D. C. metro, Montreal Metro, Toronto subway, Portland streetcars, BART, Metra, NYC subway, Boston subway, Twin cities Blue/Green line
train cars travelled in: Superliner: Coach, Sleeper, Diner, CCC, SSL. Amfleet: LD Café, Café/Business, coach. Viewliner: Sleeper, Diner. Acela: Café, Business, quiet car. Horizon: Coach. Talgo: coach, diner, café; non Amtrak: ex CP Via Canadian Manor cars, Park car, diner,sleeper, Skyline lounge. LRC trainset: coach (tilt de-activated)

No trees were killed to make this, but a number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

My apologies if I offend you, or seem stubborn, it's simply my nature. I am 14 after all, and my English isn't exactly perfect.

#46 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:10 PM

• FTW protection unit was temporarily moved to Marshall during the reroute but is back home now.
  • Brain fart

true, but we were talking with the people in charge of western Diesel operations, and the guy backed up Chris (VP of operations)

If your conversation happened during the reroute which was in effect from mid-May to mid-June, I'm very much inclined to side with the theory that the protect unit which is normally parked in Fort Worth was temporarily relocated to Marshall to be on the actual route of the train in the event it was needed.

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#47 norfolkwesternhenry

norfolkwesternhenry

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Boating, Trains, Mountain Biking, Trains, Having Fun, Trains, working on my bikes, Trains, planning my next trip, PV, trains, planning trips for family

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:00 PM

• Brain fart

If your conversation happened during the reroute which was in effect from mid-May to mid-June, I'm very much inclined to side with the theory that the protect unit which is normally parked in Fort Worth was temporarily relocated to Marshall to be on the actual route of the train in the event it was needed.
He said that was normal and had been there for years.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Amtrak Forum mobile app

Empire Builder MSP-CHI (2) CHI-MSP (2) MSP-PDX (1) MSP-CBS (5.5 H late) (1) MKE-MSP (1) MSP-SEA (1) Coast Starlate PDX-EMY (1.5H late) (1) California Zephyr DEN-SLC (1H late) (1) Hiawatha CHI-MKE (1) NE Regional WAS-BAL (1) WAS-NYP (1) Acela Express BAL-WAS (1) BOS-WAS (1) Late Shore (Limited service) CHI-BOS (On Time) (1) Capitol Limited WAS-CHI (1) Texas Eagle SAS-CHI (1.5 HR late, 1 HR late) (2) CHI-SAS (1) (55 min early) Wolverine DET-DER-ARB-CHI (35 Min late) (1) Cascades SEA-VAC (1)
Non-Amtrak: VIA: Corridor Service Q.C.-Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto-Windsor (1) Canadian: VAC-Winnipeg 4.5 H late (1) D. C. metro, Montreal Metro, Toronto subway, Portland streetcars, BART, Metra, NYC subway, Boston subway, Twin cities Blue/Green line
train cars travelled in: Superliner: Coach, Sleeper, Diner, CCC, SSL. Amfleet: LD Café, Café/Business, coach. Viewliner: Sleeper, Diner. Acela: Café, Business, quiet car. Horizon: Coach. Talgo: coach, diner, café; non Amtrak: ex CP Via Canadian Manor cars, Park car, diner,sleeper, Skyline lounge. LRC trainset: coach (tilt de-activated)

No trees were killed to make this, but a number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

My apologies if I offend you, or seem stubborn, it's simply my nature. I am 14 after all, and my English isn't exactly perfect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users