Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Speeding up the TE

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 norfolkwesternhenry

norfolkwesternhenry

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Boating, Trains, Mountain Biking, Trains, Having Fun, Trains, working on my bikes, Trains, planning my next trip, PV, trains, planning trips for family

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:40 AM

I'm not sure if this is a repeated topic, sorry if it is.

I think a good way to speed up the TE would be to travel at 100 MPH from CHI-STL, since the infrastructure is there (or soon will be), Superliners can handle 100 MPH maximum, and a single P42 should be able to pull the train that fast. If a single P42 can't pull the train that fast, add a second ONLY between CHI and STL. What would be needed to turn this idea into a reality.

Empire Builder MSP-CHI (2) CHI-MSP (2) MSP-PDX (1) MSP-CBS (5.5 H late) (1) MKE-MSP (1) MSP-SEA (1) Coast Starlate PDX-EMY (1.5H late) (1) California Zephyr DEN-SLC (1H late) (1) Hiawatha CHI-MKE (1) NE Regional WAS-BAL (1) WAS-NYP (1) Acela Express BAL-WAS (1) BOS-WAS (1) Late Shore (Limited service) CHI-BOS (On Time) (1) Capitol Limited WAS-CHI (1) Texas Eagle SAS-CHI (1.5 HR late, 1 HR late) (2) CHI-SAS (1) (55 min early) Wolverine DET-DER-ARB-CHI (35 Min late) (1) Cascades SEA-VAC (1)
Non-Amtrak: VIA: Corridor Service Q.C.-Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto-Windsor (1) Canadian: VAC-Winnipeg 4.5 H late (1) D. C. metro, Montreal Metro, Toronto subway, Portland streetcars, BART, Metra, NYC subway, Boston subway, Twin cities Blue/Green line
train cars travelled in: Superliner: Coach, Sleeper, Diner, CCC, SSL. Amfleet: LD Café, Café/Business, coach. Viewliner: Sleeper, Diner. Acela: Café, Business, quiet car. Horizon: Coach. Talgo: coach, diner, café; non Amtrak: ex CP Via Canadian Manor cars, Park car, diner,sleeper, Skyline lounge. LRC trainset: coach (tilt de-activated)

No trees were killed to make this, but a number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

My apologies if I offend you, or seem stubborn, it's simply my nature. I am 14 after all, and my English isn't exactly perfect.

#2 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,020 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:43 AM

This is an excellent idea, but the Eagle needs TWO P-42s for the entire trip between CHI and SAS.No LD Train should run with just one P42 since they are worn out after being run hard and put up wet as the old saying goes!🤔
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#3 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:35 PM

I believe part of the contract with the speed improvements between Joliet and Alton stated that the TE is to remain at current speeds. This does appear rather ridiculous to me, but I have no idea what would be necessary to remove this speed restriction from the TE.
Trains travelled: Capitol Limited WAS-CHI, Cardinal CHI-WAS, Carolinian CLT-RGH, Coast Starlight SJC-LAX, Crescent BAL-ATL, Empire Builder MSP-CHI, Empire Service NYP-NFL+NYG-YNY, Lake Shore Limited BOS-ALB, Maple Leaf ALB-NYP, Northeast Regional FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, Pacific Surfliner LAX-ANA, Pennsylvanian NYP-PGH, Piedmont RGH-DNC, Silver Meteor ORL-NYP, Silver Star FTL-WAS, 2016 Autumn Express NYP-HAR-NYP

Upcoming New Routes: Lake Shore Limited NYP-CHI (December), California Zephyr CHI-RIC (December), Coast Starlight SJC-SEA (December), Empire Builder SEA-MSP (January).

Non Amtrak: Atlanta Streetcar, Caltrain, CTA, DC Streetcar, Hudson-Bergen Light Rail, LIRR, MARC, MARTA, MBTA Subway, Metra, Metrolink, Metro-North, METRO Transit Light Rail, Miami Metrorail, Muni Metro, NJT Commuter Rail, North Star, NYC Subway, PATH, Pittsburgh Light Rail, River Line (NJT), SEPTA Regional Rail, SEPTA Subway, South Shore Line, Sunrail, Staten Island Railway, TECO Streetcar, Tri-Rail, Washington Metro

#4 norfolkwesternhenry

norfolkwesternhenry

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Boating, Trains, Mountain Biking, Trains, Having Fun, Trains, working on my bikes, Trains, planning my next trip, PV, trains, planning trips for family

Posted 18 June 2017 - 02:42 PM

Well can Illinois pay UP for the extra speed, I can't imagine it would cost more than a few million dollars a year.

Empire Builder MSP-CHI (2) CHI-MSP (2) MSP-PDX (1) MSP-CBS (5.5 H late) (1) MKE-MSP (1) MSP-SEA (1) Coast Starlate PDX-EMY (1.5H late) (1) California Zephyr DEN-SLC (1H late) (1) Hiawatha CHI-MKE (1) NE Regional WAS-BAL (1) WAS-NYP (1) Acela Express BAL-WAS (1) BOS-WAS (1) Late Shore (Limited service) CHI-BOS (On Time) (1) Capitol Limited WAS-CHI (1) Texas Eagle SAS-CHI (1.5 HR late, 1 HR late) (2) CHI-SAS (1) (55 min early) Wolverine DET-DER-ARB-CHI (35 Min late) (1) Cascades SEA-VAC (1)
Non-Amtrak: VIA: Corridor Service Q.C.-Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto-Windsor (1) Canadian: VAC-Winnipeg 4.5 H late (1) D. C. metro, Montreal Metro, Toronto subway, Portland streetcars, BART, Metra, NYC subway, Boston subway, Twin cities Blue/Green line
train cars travelled in: Superliner: Coach, Sleeper, Diner, CCC, SSL. Amfleet: LD Café, Café/Business, coach. Viewliner: Sleeper, Diner. Acela: Café, Business, quiet car. Horizon: Coach. Talgo: coach, diner, café; non Amtrak: ex CP Via Canadian Manor cars, Park car, diner,sleeper, Skyline lounge. LRC trainset: coach (tilt de-activated)

No trees were killed to make this, but a number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

My apologies if I offend you, or seem stubborn, it's simply my nature. I am 14 after all, and my English isn't exactly perfect.

#5 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 03:10 PM

The CHI <> STL situation does need less secrecy and true reasons for the speed limits for the TE..
We feel that keeping the TE on time needs one solution of the long station dwells that occur on all trains. That needs solving.

#6 norfolkwesternhenry

norfolkwesternhenry

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 03:18 PM

What happens if the TE is running late, and they do 95 MPH on a 110 MPH section of track, what kind of problems would happen then.

#7 railbuck

railbuck

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:43 PM

Well can Illinois pay UP for the extra speed, I can't imagine it would cost more than a few million dollars a year.

A million here, a million there ... pretty soon you're talking real money.

While Illinois could pay to speed up a state supported train, the TE is a national network train, so the dollars (if that's the obstacle) would come from Amtrak.

#8 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,212 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:09 PM

My interpretation is that the contracted changes had to do with slot allocation, changing the timetable, and the like.  If a train is late but the tracks are otherwise clear, I suspect there's nothing stopping dispatch from telling the TE to open up the throttle since I presume the crossings have been re-timed and so on.

The underlying jam is that hypothetically in order to justify an extra $1m/yr to UP you'd need to add some riders or be able to charge them more.  The IL-funded trains take 5:20-5:30 southbound and 5:30-5:40 northbound.  The Eagle takes 5:36 southbound and 5:57 northbound (including end-of-route padding), so it's questionable how useful dropping 5-10 minutes would be (after all, the TE can't fully utilize the 110 that the state trains presumably can, I think it might be a slightly heavier train as well, and it does have three checked baggage stops along the line).

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#9 norfolkwesternhenry

norfolkwesternhenry

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:53 AM

A million here, a million there ... pretty soon you're talking real money.

While Illinois could pay to speed up a state supported train, the TE is a national network train, so the dollars (if that's the obstacle) would come from Amtrak.
an extra car is added, perhaps make that car the 321/321 Lincoln Service AND the 21/22 & 421/422 TE, rather than the TE, it just happens to be the same train.

#10 norfolkwesternhenry

norfolkwesternhenry

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 11:07 PM

I remember coming back from TX on the TE, and we were pacing the cars on the highway while having lunch, and I was thinking "why would you drive from STL to CHI when you can have a fine meal, smooth ride, and great time on the train". Now I want to be going faster than the cars and use my binoculars to watch their faces as they get overtaken by 1,000 tons of Amtrak.

#11 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 05:24 PM

The TE still has the DAL/FTW buffer in the schedule from before the switch to the current track. FYI - the current Eagle only runs with one P42, no protection anywhere along the route, which is a nightmare waiting to happen.

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                 Coast Starlight                          

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 211,000

#12 printman2000

printman2000

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,695 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:15 PM

In the past there has been a protect unit in Fort Worth for both the Texas Eagle and Heartland Flyer. Not sure if they have it anymore.

#13 Hotblack Desiato

Hotblack Desiato

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:54 PM

My interpretation is that the contracted changes had to do with slot allocation, changing the timetable, and the like.  If a train is late but the tracks are otherwise clear, I suspect there's nothing stopping dispatch from telling the TE to open up the throttle since I presume the crossings have been re-timed and so on.

I don't know if it's still the case, but when the 110 mph sections were first implemented a few years ago, the timetable (as in, railroad operating timetable, not passenger timetable) specifically called out certain train numbers as being permitted to operate at higher speeds.  Therefore, if a train other than the specific trains mentioned were to exceed the 79 mph speed limit, the crew would be in violation of the rules and, if caught, would be removed from service and face disciplinary action, just as if they had done so on a railroad with no 110 mph service.  Assuming these restrictions are still in place, they still couldn't operate above the 79 mph limit (or lower, depending on location, obviously) even if they were late, there were no other trains on the railroad, and the dispatcher approved it (the dispatcher can't override timetable rules or special instructions).

Is it stupid?  Yes.  But, them's the rules; such is the contract signed between Illinois and UP.

#14 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,096 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 05:51 PM

If Chicago Maintenance can get their act together (sigh), I would expect UP would be quite happy to reschedule the SOUTHBOUND Texas Eagle, which is predictable, to run at full speed. They might ask for a ransom, as these crooks always do, but they'd actually want to get it done.

The northbound is another matter. I think UP wants a late Texas Eagle on as slow a timetable as possible. :-P
--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#15 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:58 AM

It would be nice if some one could supply us with an employee timetable with these notations.

#16 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,096 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:32 AM

Unfortunately, Illinois is such a mess right now that the state government is unlikely to renegotiate anything.  Although eliminating this "paper barrier" would be a really good idea.

Perhaps the best chance of speedups in the short term is on the southern end, removing some of the recovery time in Dallas-Fort Worth which is unnecessary now that the train is on the TRE route.  It would get added to San Antonio wait time for those on the Sunset, of course, but that's OK...

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#17 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,020 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:37 AM

Why is it OK to increase the Layover time in San Antonio for the Eagle, it's already way too Long?🤔
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#18 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:21 AM

Why is it OK to increase the Layover time in San Antonio for the Eagle, it's already way too Long?

Moving the layover time from Dallas and Ft. Worth to San Antonio would shorten the TE 21/22 schedule while not lengthening the schedule of TE 421/422. This would benefit anyone travelling from any station between San Antonio and Ft. Worth inclusive to any station from Dallas north. The only people negatively affected would be those travelling from west of San Antonio to a station between San Marcos and Dallas inclusive, which is a much smaller market.
Trains travelled: Capitol Limited WAS-CHI, Cardinal CHI-WAS, Carolinian CLT-RGH, Coast Starlight SJC-LAX, Crescent BAL-ATL, Empire Builder MSP-CHI, Empire Service NYP-NFL+NYG-YNY, Lake Shore Limited BOS-ALB, Maple Leaf ALB-NYP, Northeast Regional FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, Pacific Surfliner LAX-ANA, Pennsylvanian NYP-PGH, Piedmont RGH-DNC, Silver Meteor ORL-NYP, Silver Star FTL-WAS, 2016 Autumn Express NYP-HAR-NYP

Upcoming New Routes: Lake Shore Limited NYP-CHI (December), California Zephyr CHI-RIC (December), Coast Starlight SJC-SEA (December), Empire Builder SEA-MSP (January).

Non Amtrak: Atlanta Streetcar, Caltrain, CTA, DC Streetcar, Hudson-Bergen Light Rail, LIRR, MARC, MARTA, MBTA Subway, Metra, Metrolink, Metro-North, METRO Transit Light Rail, Miami Metrorail, Muni Metro, NJT Commuter Rail, North Star, NYC Subway, PATH, Pittsburgh Light Rail, River Line (NJT), SEPTA Regional Rail, SEPTA Subway, South Shore Line, Sunrail, Staten Island Railway, TECO Streetcar, Tri-Rail, Washington Metro

#19 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:45 AM

If i had some extra time from reducing the layover in DAL and FTW, I'd (at least on the westbound side) push the westbound departure out of CHI back (currently 1:45pm, the earliest of the four western trains). I don't think it is as big of an issue with passengers missing transfers from the CL/LSL but pushing the 21 departure back would make it even less of an issue.

The reason for the long layover between the TE and SL is the pathetic (at least westbound) SL schedule. I don't know what's less attractive, getting to SAS at 2:45am to board the train or spending six hours in SAS if traveling from DAL/FTW to LAX. And in either case, you arrive in LAX during the graveyard shift. With a better schedule, you'd have way more business between DAL/SAS-:LAX. Based on the markets served, the SL (including passengers from DAL/FTW and south heading to LAX via SAS) should be blowing the Cardinal out of the water in terms of ridership/revenue. IMO the schedule is the biggest reason it's not.

Trains Traveled:

Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA) 
Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI)
Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS)
Lake Short Limited (NYP-CHI)
Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL)
Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX)
California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY)
City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL)

Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#20 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:21 PM

As long as we're talking about my (only!) hometown train...suppose we could talk UP into reinstituting the 1960 schedule? The running times are not that far off; the current Sunset is scheduled 46:35 westbound (but frequently arrives early...much too early!) and 45:40 eastbound.

It would break connections with the Coast Starlight in L. A., true...unless perchance we could have that schedule tweaked as well. We might need an extra hour or so of running time eastbound, but that would put us into San Antonio at a marginally palatable hour and if we could structure the incentives so that the schedule was kept reliably it wouldn't break the connection to the TE. Westbound, though, I still see problems; either we write off the through cars CHI-LAX completely, or else we advance or retard the schedule and end up (for practical purposes) losing either New Orleans, Houston, L.A., or San Antonio...much the same problem as today.

(Sounds to me as if we need additional frequencies...additional DAILY frequencies!)

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users