Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

How is the WiFi on the Cardinal Train?

14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_kendoggbyrd_*

Guest_kendoggbyrd_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:45 AM

Got an Amtrak trip from Chicago to NYC on the Cardinal. How is the WiFi? Is it strong enough to browse web pages, check your mail? Can you stream music or video?

#2 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,368 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:11 AM

There is no Amtrak Connect on the Cardinal. In fact, much of the route does not even have ANY cellular coverage at all!
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#3 norfolkwesternhenry

norfolkwesternhenry

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Boating, Trains, Mountain Biking, Trains, Having Fun, Trains, working on my bikes, Trains, planning my next trip, PV, trains, planning trips for family

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:29 AM

BTW, Amtrak connect (when it is provided) does not allow streaming or large downloads. I believe this is because they use a celluar hotspot for the wifi, which often doesn't get the greatest reception.

Empire Builder MSP-CHI (2) CHI-MSP (2) MSP-PDX (1) MSP-CBS (5.5 H late) (1) MKE-MSP (1) MSP-SEA (1) Coast Starlate PDX-EMY (1.5H late) (1) California Zephyr DEN-SLC (1H late) (1) Hiawatha CHI-MKE (1) NE Regional WAS-BAL (1) WAS-NYP (1)WIL-WAS (1) PHL-NYP (1) Acela Express BAL-WAS (1) BOS-WAS (1) WAS-WIL (1) Late Shore (Limited service) CHI-BOS (On Time) (1) Capitol Limited WAS-CHI (1) Texas Eagle SAS-CHI (1.5 HR late, 1 HR late) (2) CHI-SAS (1) (55 min early) Wolverine DET-DER-ARB-CHI (35 Min late) (1) Cascades SEA-VAC (1) Cardinal NYP-CHI (1)
Non-Amtrak: VIA: Corridor Service Q.C.-Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto-Windsor (1) Canadian: VAC-Winnipeg 4.5 H late (1) D. C. metro, Montreal Metro, Toronto subway, Portland streetcars, BART, Metra, NYC subway, Boston subway, Twin cities Blue/Green line, SEPTA commuter rail and subway, Staten Island RR

#4 Maglev

Maglev

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Interests:Trains, environmental science, planetary volcanism.

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:24 AM

When I was on the Cardinal in January, there was Wifi that worked for browsing web pages for most of the journey.

Northeast corridor Heritage, Amfleet and Acela, CN Super Continental, Broadway Limited, Lone Star, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, San Joaquin, Southwest Limited, National Limited, Champion, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Wolverine, Crescent, Empire Builder, Cascades, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Meteor, Cardinal. 

#5 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,368 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 17 June 2017 - 09:04 AM

That's interesting, since much of the route thru WV and VA is in the mountains where there is no coverage!
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#6 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:20 AM

There is no Amtrak Connect on the Cardinal. In fact, much of the route does not even have ANY cellular coverage at all!

Are you sure? On the Amtrak website, it says the route does. It even has the WIFI logo.

#7 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 12:34 PM

To me, the only reliable WIFI in the mountain areas is a satellite link.  Cell towers in these areas are focused on the major highways like Interstates. 

#8 Anthony V

Anthony V

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 01:15 PM

BTW, Amtrak connect (when it is provided) does not allow streaming or large downloads. I believe this is because they use a celluar hotspot for the wifi, which often doesn't get the greatest reception.

I can see having the Wi-Fi for browsing web pages, checking e-mail, etc (such as for those on business trips), but why would anyone want to stream music or video while riding the Cardinal? I'd rather be enjoying the scenery in WV and VA? After all, if I didn't care about the scenery, I would've flown instead.

#9 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,136 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 17 June 2017 - 01:51 PM

I can see having the Wi-Fi for browsing web pages, checking e-mail, etc (such as for those on business trips), but why would anyone want to stream music or video while riding the Cardinal? I'd rather be enjoying the scenery in WV and VA? After all, if I didn't care about the scenery, I would've flown instead.

I like to listen to music while looking out the window. Opening Pandora or Spotify involves missing a whopping two seconds of scenery while I open the app.

Additionally, it's rather hard to see the scenery at night. ^_^  Once it's dark, I like to read a book or watch a movie. If we pass through a town, I'll look up to check it out, but once it's dark again, I go back to my book/movie.

With all that said, some people ride trains to get places, not just for the scenery. Amtrak is transportation, first and foremost; the recreational aspect is a bonus.

People who choose to read, watch movies, or play cards aren't taking the scenery away from anyone else, so why care what someone does in the privacy of their seat or roomette? They aren't ruining YOUR vacation. You may not agree with their choice, but it doesn't affect you, so why care? I'll never understand why people get so flummoxed about this.

Amtrak Miles: 43,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#10 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:54 PM

Surprisingly some people are traveling the train just to get from A to B, they care nothing for their surroundings and what they are missing. They prefer the curtains by their coach seat be closed the entire trip. I have seen this several times. These people live on the device glued to their hand. There are so many places Amtrak goes that provide lifelong scenic memories.

#11 oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts
  • Interests:Cross-country skiing, forestry, botany, solar power, gardening and food!

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:09 PM

I was on the Card eastbound in late November 2015, and they had a split cafe/business car. There was WiFi in this car (I believe they were just testing it, there was no announcement and I found it by chance). I did not try it the first evening - didn't even have my netbook out. The second day, I had my computer on,, and it was nonexistent in the Gorge but came on as soon as we exited to more populated and open areas. It was typical AmtrakConnect: OK for email and light web browsing, but frequently dropping the connection as we went from cell to cell. Music does not take as much bandwidth as video, so you could try that. I'd like to hear how it works.

Jennifer

I'm a "little Old Lady in Tennis Shoes" (LOLITS) from Eastern Oregon. I love to travel by train, though I live way out in the toolies, far from the nearest Amtrak station (Chemult). My station would have been Baker City, but they cancelled the Oregon Pioneer just before I took my first long-distance train trip as an adult. I've taken most trains in the West, but I'm still exploring new routes in the east.

#12 Guest_Gluiee_*

Guest_Gluiee_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:03 PM

Because Dawn and Dusk do not exist.

#13 Triley

Triley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:52 AM

They don't limit streaming or download size because of the reception. They limit it because you have X passengers sharing a single connection onboard.

Imagine taking the internet speed of your smartphone, and potentially sharing it with upwards of 500 other users onboard. That's why it's limited.

For what it's worth to those wondering, there really aren't limitations on the Acela with the be equipment they have now. On my layovers in DC I use to even be able to watch Netflix.

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#14 tim49424

tim49424

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 12:19 AM

When I rode the Cardinal last October I connected to wifi with very little problems. The only place I had an outage was in certain parts of the New River Gorge.

Edited by tim49424, 22 June 2017 - 12:49 AM.

Over 50,000 miles traveled on Amtrak since December, 2007.  Next trip: February 18, 2018 - HOM-CHI RT

Amtrak trains traveled on as of October, 2017:  Pere Marquette, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Wolverine, Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Pacific Surfliner, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Cardinal, Northeast Regional, Downeaster, Lake Shore Limited, Heartland Flyer, Amtrak Cascades and Ethan Allen

#15 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:50 AM

I don't recall having Amtrak WiFi on the Cardinal (PHL-CHI)  but our last trip was in 2016. . We didn't have cell coverage in many spots as well.  When you leave the NEC much of the trip is through rural areas.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users