Trip to Orlando next month

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys,

I have booked a trip to Orlando next month. I will be taking the Northeast Regional from NPN to RVR and then taking the Silver Meteor to ORL. On the return, I will be taking the Silver Star back to RVR and then the NER back to NPN. The reason for that is because the SM arrives in Richmond in the early morning hours, while the SS arrives in the middle of the day. I would feel more comfortable arriving at the station during the daylight hours.

Because it's a single overnight trip each way, I plan to ride in coach. I will be taking a blanket and a neck travel pillow.

Oh, does the Meteor have both a dining car and cafe car? And is the CC open during the times when the DC isn't?

Any pointers or advice is welcome!

The Meteor has both a dining car and a cafe car. The cafe car is open longer hours than the dining car, but will close when the attendant takes breaks. I do not know the exact hours, but I seem to recall the cafe car opens around 6am and closes around 11pm.

Enjoy your trip.

Yes Dining car on the Meteor.

Cafe Car is open about 6am to midnight. With periods of breaks during the day.

On the Silver Star there is no Dinner, however the Cafe has some extra selections above the normal cafe car foods.

Coach blanket and head pillow are good to bring with you. Ear plugs, maybe a eye mask.

Power outlets are near your seat on the wall, a small extension cord might make a seat mate quite happy.

Enjoy your trip.

Yes Dining car on the Meteor.

Cafe Car is open about 6am to midnight. With periods of breaks during the day.

On the Silver Star there is no Dinner, however the Cafe has some extra selections above the normal cafe car foods.

Coach blanket and head pillow are good to bring with you. Ear plugs, maybe a eye mask.

Power outlets are near your seat on the wall, a small extension cord might make a seat mate quite happy.
Thanks!

I knew about the wall outlets because I had taken the NER from NFK to WAS back in January. And I will be taking a trip on it from NPN to BAL tomorrow morning. :)

The coaches on the Star or Meteor are normally AM-2 which will have footrests and somewhat more legroom than the AM-1 you would normally see on the NER. I've never quite figured out LD coach cars. I usually travel roomette, but always walk the train for exercise. I've encountered coaches running the gamut from the reading room at the library, to the audience on the Jerry Springer Show. And everything in between.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if the Amfleet 2's are different than the 1's in this regard, but my biggest point of discomfort is the seat bottoms which don't seem to have good cushioning and I "bottom out" on the frame, it seems.

As for seats, for my weight I don;t bottom out either on the Amfleet I or Amfleet II seats. But AFAIR Amfleet II seats seems to be a bit more robust than the Amfleet Is.

BTW, if you have a noise canceling headphone, that together with something like iTunes or its equivalent on your Smartphone (if you happen to carry one) can be a very useful in Coach.

Back