Photo

There is something about the quiet car . . .

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,901 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 17 June 2017 - 12:42 PM

Even worse than those who don't have a clue how annoying they are, are those that are aware, and do it anyway....
Like those that have to blast highly amplified "music" from their cars... just another way to shout "look at me!"...
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#42 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,103 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:02 PM

Even worse than those who don't have a clue how annoying they are, are those that are aware, and do it anyway....
Like those that have to blast highly amplified "music" from their cars... just another way to shout "look at me!"...

Some of those blasting from their cars are deaf/HoH, like me. I stopped listening to my radio when my hearing got really bad but am now listening to CDs for rehab now that I have a cochlear implant. I sometimes have to put the volume up to 20, but usually turn it down or off when stopped on traffic.

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015: May: CHI=>CIN(pd-Card) / CIN=>WIL(pts Card)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

2016: Mar: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct:  WIL=>NYP=>NYP=>WIL (Autumn Express) 

#43 ehbowen

ehbowen

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:40 PM

And what is this new trend apparently of people setting up their cellphone in the speaker rmode for every call? That makes it doubly annoying. Really I have no desire to know the minute details of why your friend's boyfriend decided to ditch her and move on, and how your friend has decided to go bonkers over it etc. etc.

In my father's case, he's 85 years old and hard of hearing. It's easier for him to communicate in speakerphone mode than otherwise.

Posted Image 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#44 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,350 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:04 AM

Is Speakerphone better than headphone? If so what makes that happen that way? This would suggest that hearing aid should be a loud speaker attached to ones head rather than something placed in ones ear.

#45 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,103 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:46 AM

Is Speakerphone better than headphone? If so what makes that happen that way? This would suggest that hearing aid should be a loud speaker attached to ones head rather than something placed in ones ear.

If you have severe-to-profound hearing loss and wear power hearing aids, you still may need to use the speakerphone.  Headphones will cause feedback, so that's not a viable solution.  Speaking as one who knows.  

I have a streamer (receives sounds either via wire or bluetooth) that sends the audio to my hearing aid/CI.  Every HA wearer does not have a streamer (they're expensive).  I've only used the speakerphone in the privacy of my home.  

2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

#46 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,350 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:12 AM

Thanks for the good explanation of the lay of the land.

It should still be possible for them to refrain from partaking in hour long conversations using a speakerphone about the shopping trip yesterday and what will be cooked for dinner etc. :P

Edited by jis, 18 June 2017 - 08:12 AM.

#47 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,103 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:15 AM

Thanks for the good explanation of the lay of the land.

It should still be possible for them to refrain from partaking in hour long conversations using a speakerphone about the shopping trip yesterday and what will be cooked for dinner etc. :P

I totally agree. I wasn't defending rude users of the speaker phones, just explaining why hard of hearing people might use it. ;)

#48 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:49 AM

People are very self-centered nowadays. Probably comes from all those trophies that were given to kids for just showing up. 

I know, there's a lot of self centered people that believe the world revolves around them and so made sure their little Jimmy got a trophy no matter what.

#49 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,435 posts
  • Location:Colfax, WA (CFX)---Hey, it's only an Amtrak Thruway bus stop, but at least my town in mentioned on Amtrak's website and in their timetable!
  • Interests:Trains, photography, photography of trains, travel, travel by train, reading, reading about trains............

Posted 18 June 2017 - 02:42 PM

People are very self-centered nowadays. Probably comes from all those trophies that were given to kids for just showing up. 

I know, there's a lot of self centered people that believe the world revolves around them and so made sure their little Jimmy got a trophy no matter what.

As my dad used to say, "Hurray for me and the hell with everyone else".
Amtrak Routes Traveled: City of New Orleans, State House/Lincoln Service, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, Capitol Limited, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited, Pacific Surfliner, Cardinal.

Pre-Amtrak Routes Traveled:
Empire Builder (Great Northern), North Coast Limited (Northern Pacific), Abraham Lincoln (Gulf, Mobile, and Ohio), City of Hinkle  (Union Pacific) Panama Limited (Illinois Central)

Bustitutions: Portland-Spokane (EB),Galesburg-Bloomington (CZ/Lincoln Service )

Amtrak Miles: 80916

Pre-Amtrak Miles: 8478

Bustitution Miles: 450

Excursion trains ridden:  Centralia and Chehalis Railroad, Mt. Hood Scenic Railroad, Alaska Railroad, 1880 Train (Black Hills Central RR) and trains at the Illinois Railway Museum, California Railway Museum, and the Monticello (IL) Railroad Museum.

#50 MARC Rider

MARC Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:39 PM

And what is this new trend apparently of people setting up their cellphone in the speaker rmode for every call? That makes it doubly annoying. Really I have no desire to know the minute details of why your friend's boyfriend decided to ditch her and move on, and how your friend has decided to go bonkers over it etc. etc.

I hear you.  :)  But, to be fair, there's also the problem that many smartphones with touch screens can do unpredictable things, like switch into speakerphone mode without that being the intention of the person using it.  I know I have to be very careful holding a phone to talk , as I can inadvertently do things like switch on the speaker or drop the line.  Actually, come to think about it, while smartphones are amazing devices that do a lot of advanced communitation and computing functions, they are actually pretty lousy cell phones.  Better to use a circa 2000 flip phone.

#51 MARC Rider

MARC Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:52 PM

I'm of the opinion that "if you wanna talk on a cell phone, don't sit in the quiet car, and if you do, the conductor should tell you to move to another car."

On the TE, when I've ridden it (I ride in sleeper most of the time) they regularly announce that "during quiet hours, if you are going to make or receive a phone call, please go to the lounge car." I wonder how many people actually abide by that - the last time (about four years ago) I was in coach, there were people who seemed to want to call their loved ones every half-hour to report on the progress of the train. I get placing ONE call when you are a certain distance out from the station for a "Hey, I'm almost there, come get me" but every half-hour? Really?

It is reasons like this I wish the cell phone had never been invented, or was licensed for legitimate commercial/business use only; a large majority of people who have them have no legit reason to have them.

What's a legitimate reason to use the telephone, in your not so humble opinion? :rolleyes: Long before there were cellphones, people made phone calls just to chat. Long before there were cellphones, train passengers talked to each other, and the conversations weren't always business or urgent.

If you're not in the quiet car, the problem isn't people using cellphones, it's people talking too loud. And some clueless people do that with their seatmate, no phone required. If you're not in the quiet car, your desire for utter silence places no obligations on anyone else to not converse -- in normal tones -- with anyone they want to, sitting next to them or on the other side of the world, about any damned topic that pleases them. :ohboy:

Some years ago, riding the Northeast Regional -- NOT in the quiet car -- I found myself sitting next to a gentleman who turned out to be a physician.  He decided to use his Amtrak seat as a rent-free annex to his medical  office. He went through his entire patient list making calls like the following:

"Hello.  Mr Robert Jones? [not a real name.]  This is Dr, Kronkheit [not his real name].  I just got your STD tests back.  What the hell were you doing during that trip to Vegas?" [Then I learned more than I cared to know about the treatment options for several ofthe more common STDs.]

"Hello.  Sam?  This is Kornkheit here talking about your patient Mary Smith [not a real name].  Just went over the Pathology reports you sent me. Boy,does she have trouble!" [continues with graphic description of pathology report.]

This is probably a HIPPA violation or something, not to mention the fact that it was spoiling my appetite for my snack from the cafe car.He wasn't being loud or obnoxious to me, it's just that, as his seatmate, i couldn't avoid listening to him.

When they started up with the quiet cars, I was sure pleased.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users