Photo

There is something about the quiet car . . .

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,057 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:17 AM

That just made me want to yell AAAARGH!! as I passed through on the way to the snack car. I didn't though. Pax on 2155 can continue to have a quiet ride.

#2 VAtrainfan

VAtrainfan

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Travel (by air or rail or highway), roller coasters

Posted 12 June 2017 - 12:19 PM

Shhh!

Attached Files

#3 Paul CHI

Paul CHI

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:50 PM

Don't knock it.  After riding behind a woman on the Surfliner a while back who called every person on her contact list to tell them how much she loved them, I would have happily paid a C-note for a quiet car.

#4 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,801 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 12 June 2017 - 04:31 PM

That just made me want to yell AAAARGH!! as I passed through on the way to the snack car. I didn't though. Pax on 2155 can continue to have a quiet ride.

Them's fightin' words.

Don't knock it.  After riding behind a woman on the Surfliner a while back who called every person on her contact list to tell them how much she loved them, I would have happily paid a C-note for a quiet car.

I'd probably have been kicked off the train after the third or fourth call.

If I had a tumor I'd name it Marla.

#5 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,279 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 12 June 2017 - 05:55 PM

... that brings out your inner jackass? I'm glad that you thought we needed a thread to confirm that.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#6 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,350 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:08 PM

:D This thread takes the absurd award for the week, if not the month.

#7 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,057 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:21 PM

I meant this as tongue in cheek. Would never do that. When I ride BC on the acela I usually pick the quiet car and carefully follow the rules.

And as usual Ryan your response to a thread proves who the hack ass is.

#8 OlympianHiawatha

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:27 PM

And as usual Ryan your response to a thread proves who the hack ass is.

Steve, remember you can block members and not have to read their comments.

#9 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,103 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:37 PM

I meant this as tongue in cheek.

If you don't want people to misread your posts, learn to use emojis. Or if that's too hard for you then use j/k.
Ryan wasn't the only one who thought you were serious and therefor a jerk.

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015: May: CHI=>CIN(pd-Card) / CIN=>WIL(pts Card)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

2016: Mar: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct:  WIL=>NYP=>NYP=>WIL (Autumn Express) 

#10 Railroad Bill

Railroad Bill

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Historical and Genealogical research, Travel, Model Railroading. Lions Club & Anything Dealing With Trains

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:57 PM

Time to move on folks!  Let's get back to answering questions and bringing forth superlative Amtrak information.. :)

Amtrak Trains Ridden So Far:
Lake Shore Ltd, Capitol Ltd, Pennsylvanian, NE Corridors, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Hoosier, SW Chief, Surfliners, California Capitol Corridors, Coast Starlight, Cascades. Texas Eagle, San Joaquins, Missouri River Runner,Cardinal, Downeaster, Silver Meteor, Keystones, Auto Train, Adirondack, Lincoln Service, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Texas Eagle Detour Rt, 2013 Autumn Express Tour PHL, Silver Star, Sunset Limited -Acela Express-  2015 Autumn Express ALB  - Empire Service    

81,815 Amtrak miles & counting     
Via Rail Corridor Trains Cobourg-Ottawa-Montreal,(round trip)  The Ocean (round trip)--   2,250 miles

#11 StriderGDM

StriderGDM

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:12 PM

I've got to admit, I'm not generally a huge fan of the quiet car. I actually like a bit of background noise. And every once in a great while in the quiet car you get the one patron who thinks it's their job to police everyone.

On the other hand, every once in awhile, it's a godsend!

#12 Manny T

Manny T

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:39 PM

Quiet car is greatest innovation known to mankind imho. For $-0- (the "Quiet Car" signs probably don't cost too much) provider of quiet car, whether Amtrak or any other carrier, improves experience exponentially for a cohort of customers.

Not sure how anyone can have a problem with someone IN the quiet car informing others seated IN the quiet car of the rules--since some don't see the signs, some don't know the rules, and some are inconsiderate. Can the "enforcers" be a little-heavy handed? Sure, as in all walks of life. So what? If a passenger is on their cell-phone or talking loudly in the quiet car, they are breaking rules others are relying on to read, work, sleep, whatever. There is a whole train full of non-quiet cars just steps away...

#13 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:55 PM

It's probably a good idea you held your tongue. You might have run into this guy:

A conductor came through and informed her that there was no talking on cellphones allowed. As he continued on his way, she said, to whomever she was calling, “I don’t know. He says there’s no cellphones in this car. Anyway. ... ” and she kept on talking.

I’m no shrinking violet, but I’m also not needlessly belligerent. I wanted to nap, but I was willing to wait a minute or so for the woman to finish her call. However, she apparently had no intention of ever finishing her call. After listening to her chatter inanely for at least another 10 minutes, I had had enough.

I went over to her and said, “You know, there are no cellphones allowed in this car.”

I smiled while saying it. I was hoping she would say something like, “Oh. I’m sorry. Even though the conductor told me that 10 minutes ago, I must have let it slip from my peanut-sized brain. Thank you for reminding me. I’ll hang up now.”

Instead, she said, “Yeah? So?”

“You were told by the conductor: No cellphones. And I’d appreciate it if you’d hang up.”

“I will, as soon as I’m done.”

“You should be done, now. Cellphones are not allowed in this car.”

She then asked, “Do you work for the railroad?”

I said, “No, I just ride the railroad, same as you and all of the other passengers here who decided to sit in the quiet car where no cellphones are allowed.”

She said, “Well, if you don’t work for the railroad, then I don’t think you have the authority to tell me to stop my call.”

My temptation was to take the phone from her hand, throw it to the floor and stomp on it with both feet, then throw her through the window and enjoy the sight of her body bouncing down the tracks back toward Boston. However, I said. “Right. Well, I guess I’ll just have to get someone who does have the @%$#&@! authority.”

Edited by Thirdrail7, 12 June 2017 - 11:56 PM.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#14 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,057 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:52 AM

That guy handled it the right way. He had a right to ask her to stop. Once she dismissed him he went and got the conductor.

On one of my first trips in the acela quiet car a woman got on in Baltimore and she continued her cell phone conversation. The conductor came by to lift her ticket and told her to get up and finish her call in the vestibule. She did.

#15 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:34 AM

Had somewhat the same problem in BC on the way from Vancouver, BC to Seattle last year.   Constant jabbering on the cellphone.  Went into the next car, found the Conductor and informed him.  Conductor came into the BC car and informed the yakker.  Conductor departed.  Then - constant jabbering on the cellphone.  

#16 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,350 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:52 AM

The new generation wireless noise canceling headphones are a part of the personal solution. ;)

It apparently is too much to expect the public to behave with much consideration for anyone else. Everyone feels completely entitled to make a complete nuisance of themselves as long as whatever they consider to be important to them is taken care of. Everything and everyone else be damned, seems to be the current governing philosophy in every walk of life, barring a few exceptions here and there.

#17 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,901 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:28 AM

It's people like that that sometimes make me wish I had a "jamming device", that I could discreetly jam her call with, and leave her scratching her head....:)
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#18 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,057 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:56 AM

I use the headphone solution and leave others alone. Even so, I have to remember that even though I can't hear others they can still hear me.

#19 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,350 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:04 PM

I use the headphone solution and leave others alone. Even so, I have to remember that even though I can't hear others they can still hear me.

Just get yourself a fish bowl with a breathing apparatus to stick it over your head. Problem solved :D

#20 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,057 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:54 PM

Lol. The quiet car would no longer be quiet because the other pax would start laughing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users