Sleeping in a Sleeper

21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_kendoggbyrd_*

Guest_kendoggbyrd_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2017 - 12:44 PM

I usually cannot sleep unless something is playing in the background whether it be music or soothing sounds.

I have to take a Superliner sleeper trip in July and I fear I won't get any sleep. How can I fall asleep to sounds while in a sleeper? Headphones?

Anyone else have this problem? Any remedies? 

#2 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,405 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 11 June 2017 - 12:49 PM

The train will be making some noise on the tracks, perhaps that will be sufficient.

Headphones can work as well.

A small speaker next to your head at a low enough volume to be heard by you, but not outside of the room (that's an important part!!!) could also work as well.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#3 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 03:36 PM

I have Bose Noise Canceling ear buds that play my music which I use to fall asleep at home.  On the train, I usually fall asleep ok without them, but I also Have the curtain open because I like to watch the stars and the towns passing by.

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                 Coast Starlight                          

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 211,000

#4 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 06:18 PM

I have Bose Noise Canceling ear buds that play my music which I use to fall asleep at home.  On the train, I usually fall asleep ok without them, but I also Have the curtain open because I like to watch the stars and the towns passing by.

No ear buds for me because these "foreign objects" in my ears would bother me.  But, I also keep the curtains open, enjoying the sky and passing views.  The motion of the train and its noise is usually enough to put me to sleep, sometimes sooner than I would have expected.

#5 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 11 June 2017 - 06:20 PM

No ear buds for me because these "foreign objects" in my ears would bother me.  But, I also keep the curtains open, enjoying the sky and passing views.  The motion of the train and its noise is usually enough to put me to sleep, sometimes sooner than I would have expected.

Same here...I like the sounds and sights of train travel...even when I should be sleeping!

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#6 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,975 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 11 June 2017 - 06:51 PM

And the same here!

At home, I'm usually up until 12, 1 or 2. However with the train sounds and motion, I'm usually asleep by 10 or so. (Sometimes I even want to!) And I sleep well.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#7 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,973 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 11 June 2017 - 06:57 PM

I'm the opposite. The train noises keep me up most of the night, even with earbuds and sleeping pills. The only time I've ever slept more than a couple of hours is on the second night of the trip. At that point, I'm so tired that I'm able to sleep for six hours or so, only waking up when we stop at a brightly-lit station or the stupid PA announcements start (I REALLY miss being able to turn that thing off).

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#8 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 09:50 PM

I use the earbuds at home (wife watches TV) but on the train, I want to see outside in the night, get the full rail experience, but usually fall asleep earlier than I want.

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                 Coast Starlight                          

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 211,000

#9 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,918 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:22 PM

There's something about falling asleep to the noise of the horn blowing through crossings for me. The classic GE chugging when the train pulls out of a station or from a stop. 

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#10 SP&S

SP&S

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:48 PM

Funny, a while back I bought Mrs SP&S a soothing noise machine.  It had about 8 different sounds one of which was the sounds of a train.It didn't work too well but the real sounds on a train a incredibly restful to me.

#11 Peachy Kinda Girl

Peachy Kinda Girl

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:39 AM

The noise does not keep me awake I find it rather soothing. The sudden jolting of the train does tho. So I basically expect not to get much sleep.

#12 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • Location:Colfax, WA (CFX)---Hey, it's only an Amtrak Thruway bus stop, but at least my town in mentioned on Amtrak's website and in their timetable!
  • Interests:Trains, photography, photography of trains, travel, travel by train, reading, reading about trains............

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:47 AM

The first night on a train I sleep like a baby: I'm up every hour. After that I sleep all right.
Amtrak Routes Traveled: City of New Orleans, State House/Lincoln Service, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, Capitol Limited, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited, Pacific Surfliner, Cardinal.

Pre-Amtrak Routes Traveled:
Empire Builder (Great Northern), North Coast Limited (Northern Pacific), Abraham Lincoln (Gulf, Mobile, and Ohio), City of Hinkle  (Union Pacific) Panama Limited (Illinois Central)

Bustitutions: Portland-Spokane (EB),Galesburg-Bloomington (CZ/Lincoln Service )

Amtrak Miles: 81242

Pre-Amtrak Miles: 8478

Bustitution Miles: 450

Excursion trains ridden:  Centralia and Chehalis Railroad, Mt. Hood Scenic Railroad, Alaska Railroad, 1880 Train (Black Hills Central RR) and trains at the Illinois Railway Museum, California Railway Museum, and the Monticello (IL) Railroad Museum.

#13 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,954 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:43 AM

Oddly enough the number one thing that wakes me up is a lack of sound and movement.  After becoming accustomed to the sounds and movements of the train it's the siding and station stops that get my attention. 

I'm the opposite. The train noises keep me up most of the night, even with earbuds and sleeping pills. The only time I've ever slept more than a couple of hours is on the second night of the trip. At that point, I'm so tired that I'm able to sleep for six hours or so, only waking up when we stop at a brightly-lit station or the stupid PA announcements start (I REALLY miss being able to turn that thing off).

In my view the train-wide PA system should be used for announcements that affect everybody on the train.  If it doesn't affect everyone then it probably shouldn't be on the train-wide PA.  Seems if you mention such a thing on Amtrak it's almost like you committed blasphemy.

The noise does not keep me awake I find it rather soothing. The sudden jolting of the train does tho. So I basically expect not to get much sleep.

Same here.  I can get used to the sounds (most of the time) but the really bad rails and junctions can make it rather difficult to stay asleep when it slams your head or elbow against the wall.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 12 June 2017 - 09:44 AM.

We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier. 

#14 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:40 AM

Oddly enough the number one thing that wakes me up is a lack of sound and movement.  After becoming accustomed to the sounds and movements of the train it's the siding and station stops that get my attention. 

That's been my experience as well. I'll often wake up briefly when the train stops at a station and fall back asleep as the train departs again.

#15 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:41 AM

In the modern world, paging is often zoned. Airlines make boarding announcements for a specific gate area, but have the capability for concourse or terminal wide pages where required. Also, emergency pages override everything else.  

#16 texline

texline

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:58 PM

I used the iPhone app that has a selection of sounds and a timer last night in my sleeper I thought it wasn't going to do much but I put in my ear buds and listened to birds chirping. I was sleeping within 15 minutes. Wow! Woke up few hours later to a strong jolt. The sleeper car temp was extremely hot (was trouble all day - freezing or boiling hot). I put on the earbuds and listened to spring sounds. 20 minutes or so I was asleep. That was a good find for me.

#17 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,973 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:08 PM

The sudden jolting of the train does tho. So I basically expect not to get much sleep.

This too. I put the extra pillow between my hip and the table (in the roomette) to avoid bruising in the middle of the night.

Plus it's cozy.

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#18 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,870 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:50 PM

Excellent tip Sarah! 😎

I use the extra pillow plus a travel pillow between the wall and my body to avoid bruises!
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#19 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:30 PM

I, too, like the idea of using a pillow between me and the size of the roomette.  Never thought about it!  Thanks.

As to PA use, it has been my experience that the audio quality is so poor that I really don't fully understand what is being said.  I think there was only one Superliner Sleeper whose audio was truly understandable.  For most of the time for me it's just unwelcome noise.

#20 BoulderCO

BoulderCO

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:52 PM

Getting the desired sounds (or lack thereof) to your ears while sleeping won't be a problem.   A pair of earbuds with an iPod, FM radio or smart phone will do that for you.   Use ear plugs if you want something closer to silence.

My prediction is that your larger problem will be getting comfortable in terms of a sleeping position (especially if you have someone in the adjacent seat) or with the temperature.   The cars are sometimes quite cool at night.    The #5 train in Nebraska earlier this week was so cold at night due to the A/C that I had difficulty keeping warm.   Always wear long pants and shirt.   Even then, you may be wishing for a blanket.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users