Photo

Pokemon GO Fest in Chicago - A Missed Opportunity For Amtrak?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,865 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:18 PM

That will be a good week to NOT go to Chicago and for those who live there to find somewhere else to go until things return to "normal."

Chicago is a big city. It can and does hold lots of people with lots of interests. There's no need to flee simply because someone enjoys a game you don't care for.

I've never played, but I like that it draws people out of their houses and encourages not only exercise but also social events.

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#22 Cina

Cina

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, books, books, books, books, art, ceramics, nerdy things, snarky comments

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:29 PM

I've found Pokemon Go often brings to light a rather conflicting attitude of "Those nerds need to get out of their parents basement...ew, but we don't want them out HERE near US!"

#23 neutralist

neutralist

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Futbol

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:43 PM

I've found Pokemon Go often brings to light a rather conflicting attitude of "Those nerds need to get out of their parents basement...ew, but we don't want them out HERE near US!"

Unfortunately most of the active "users" on PoGo are either GPS spoofers (falsifying GPS location so they can play it on their couch) or botters (accounts operated by automated program).

Edited by neutralist, 17 June 2017 - 10:45 PM.

#24 neutralist

neutralist

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Futbol

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:07 PM

A lot of people coming to Chicago over a summer weekend to walk around with their noses buried in their phones the whole time?

Sounds pretty normal to me!

Good call. Ticket came on sale at Noon CST, $20 a piece, 10,000+ tickets SOLD OUT within the first 10 minutes. Scalpers on eBay are asking for $300+ a piece. This game is FAR from dead. Talking about 100,000+ that weekend.

Edited by neutralist, 19 June 2017 - 05:08 PM.

#25 John Bredin

John Bredin

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:34 PM

I know I'm going to "out" myself as a complete and utter nerd, but I play PoGo (not as much as I did when it came out, because I have a life most months of the year). If Amtrak REALLY wanted to make bank during this event, they'd have a train run a loop going about 6 miles an hour. The game tracks your walking distance progress and the distance walked translates into progress in the game. The fastest you can "walk" and have the game count it is around 6.5mph. If they ran a train at 6mph, sold tickets and then just sold tons of food and beverages onboard (and even better, wifi and air conditioning) PoGo players would camp out in there all day. I mean, you'd need a dedicated track, but it would be a great move if they could pull it off.

They did it in Germany and had great success with it.

Sounds more like an opportunity for a railroad museum with a loop of track -- Illinois Railway Museum's streetcar loop, for instance -- than Amtrak.

#26 fairviewroad

fairviewroad

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:13 PM

I know I'm going to "out" myself as a complete and utter nerd, but I play PoGo (not as much as I did when it came out, because I have a life most months of the year). If Amtrak REALLY wanted to make bank during this event, they'd have a train run a loop going about 6 miles an hour. The game tracks your walking distance progress and the distance walked translates into progress in the game. The fastest you can "walk" and have the game count it is around 6.5mph. If they ran a train at 6mph, sold tickets and then just sold tons of food and beverages onboard (and even better, wifi and air conditioning) PoGo players would camp out in there all day. I mean, you'd need a dedicated track, but it would be a great move if they could pull it off.

They did it in Germany and had great success with it.

Sounds more like an opportunity for a railroad museum with a loop of track -- Illinois Railway Museum's streetcar loop, for instance -- than Amtrak.

Ha! Instead of a hyperloop, you could call it a "lazyloop."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users