Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Pokemon GO Fest in Chicago - A Missed Opportunity For Amtrak?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 neutralist

neutralist

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Futbol

Posted 10 June 2017 - 11:27 PM

http://pokemongolive.com/fest/

The first ever real-world event is going to be in Chicago (Grant Park / Millennium) on July 22nd. Hotels for the days around near the area are sold out, and event tickets are not even on sale yet. Millions of people from all over the country and overseas are expected coming to catch potential "legendary" pokemons, according to city event permit applications.

Chicago being the largest railroad hub of the nation, shouldn't Amtrak start promoting train travel into Chicago for the event? Most social media are filled with comments about how airfare was expensive during that weekend.....

Edited by neutralist, 10 June 2017 - 11:28 PM.

#2 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,245 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 11 June 2017 - 01:59 AM

The first ever real-world event is going to be in Chicago (Grant Park / Millennium) on July 22nd. Hotels for the days around near the area are sold out, and event tickets are not even on sale yet. Millions of people from all over the country and overseas are expected coming to catch potential "legendary" pokemons, according to city event permit applications. Most social media are filled with comments about how airfare was expensive during that weekend.....

Let's see...

+ First event of its kind
+ Based on a freemium mobile game
+ Hotels are sold out before first ticket is sold
+ Potential customers are complaining about costs

Nah, I don't think Amtrak is missing out on anything.

If we're going to criticize Amtrak for failing to fully market themselves maybe we should stick with one of the routine high volume Chicago area events that have been attracting thousands of attendees for decades rather than some heretofore unknown event of undetermined significance. I feel the same way about the thread criticizing Amtrak for not doing enough to chase solar eclipse viewers. It's a one-off event of unknowable significance that could be ruined with nothing more than a few random clouds passing by at the wrong time on the wrong day.

I used to be with ‘it,’ but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it,’ and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

#3 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,563 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:03 AM

Everyone mark your calendars, today is the day that Chris posts something that I completely and totally agree with. :D

A++++++ post, would read again.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#4 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,582 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:48 AM

I wonder if the OP posted this as a tongue in cheek play on the eclipse thread.

#5 Ziv

Ziv

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:58 AM

I was wondering the same thing. Nothing seems to be more incompatible to Amtrak than a bunch of 20'something people stumbling around, not watching where they are going, looking at their mobile phones instead of the crosswalk and ACK! Stepping in front of a train...

I saw the people wandering around DC when the last Pokemon craze was in full swing, it was amusing and kind of sad, at the same time. They were of the world, but not quite, so to speak.

#6 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,185 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 11 June 2017 - 08:25 AM

Now now. Enough of '20s bashing already. ;). Besides, bear in mind that there are several Pokemon aficionados among us on AU who are way older than 20's too.

#7 Ziv

Ziv

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 09:01 AM

Mea culpa. That was a bit of a low blow.

I think it was last summer when the fad hit my area, and that was my first impression.  Some of the players weren't exercising good situational awareness, but not all.

Now now. Enough of '20s bashing already. ;). Besides, bear in mind that there are several Pokemon aficionados among us on AU who are way older than 20's too.

#8 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 09:18 AM

Pokemon Go ---- is that still a thing? 

#9 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,293 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 11 June 2017 - 09:47 AM

Fads come and go, but "Rock and Roll Will Never Die!"😄
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#10 neutralist

neutralist

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 10:12 AM

All I did was just Ctrl+C then Ctrl+V part of the title :P

#11 neutralist

neutralist

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 10:15 AM

I was wondering the same thing. Nothing seems to be more incompatible to Amtrak than a bunch of 20'something people stumbling around, not watching where they are going, looking at their mobile phones instead of the crosswalk and ACK! Stepping in front of a train...

Well those could be our next generation of potential Amtrak riders so great way for "Introduction to Trains 101".

Edited by neutralist, 11 June 2017 - 10:16 AM.

#12 neutralist

neutralist

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 01:24 PM

When we still see people driving 2AM at night taking down pokemon gyms, it looks like it is going strong. Besides from official stats, they have 65 million active players world wide.

Edited by neutralist, 11 June 2017 - 01:25 PM.

#13 norfolkwesternhenry

norfolkwesternhenry

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Boating, Trains, Mountain Biking, Trains, Having Fun, Trains, working on my bikes, Trains, planning my next trip, PV, trains, planning trips for family

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:34 PM

I have a friend who bought a smartphone because of pokemon go, nothing else

Empire Builder MSP-CHI (2) CHI-MSP (2) MSP-PDX (1) MSP-CBS (5.5 H late) (1) MKE-MSP (1) MSP-SEA (1) Coast Starlate PDX-EMY (1.5H late) (1) California Zephyr DEN-SLC (1H late) (1) Hiawatha CHI-MKE (1) NE Regional WAS-BAL (1) WAS-NYP (1) Acela Express BAL-WAS (1) BOS-WAS (1) Late Shore (Limited service) CHI-BOS (On Time) (1) Capitol Limited WAS-CHI (1) Texas Eagle SAS-CHI (1.5 HR late, 1 HR late) (2) CHI-SAS (1) (55 min early) Wolverine DET-DER-ARB-CHI (35 Min late) (1) Cascades SEA-VAC (1)
Non-Amtrak: VIA: Corridor Service Q.C.-Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto-Windsor (1) Canadian: VAC-Winnipeg 4.5 H late (1) D. C. metro, Montreal Metro, Toronto subway, Portland streetcars, BART, Metra, NYC subway, Boston subway, Twin cities Blue/Green line

#14 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,293 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:46 PM

As PT Barnum may have said?; "There's a Sucker born every minute!"😄
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#15 OlympianHiawatha

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:10 AM

That will be a good week to NOT go to Chicago and for those who live there to find somewhere else to go until things return to "normal."

#16 Cina

Cina

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, books, books, books, books, art, ceramics, nerdy things, snarky comments

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:21 PM

I know I'm going to "out" myself as a complete and utter nerd, but I play PoGo (not as much as I did when it came out, because I have a life most months of the year). If Amtrak REALLY wanted to make bank during this event, they'd have a train run a loop going about 6 miles an hour. The game tracks your walking distance progress and the distance walked translates into progress in the game. The fastest you can "walk" and have the game count it is around 6.5mph. If they ran a train at 6mph, sold tickets and then just sold tons of food and beverages onboard (and even better, wifi and air conditioning) PoGo players would camp out in there all day. I mean, you'd need a dedicated track, but it would be a great move if they could pull it off.

They did it in Germany and had great success with it.

#17 Pere Flyer

Pere Flyer

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Writing, dancing, traveling

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:48 PM

I know I'm going to "out" myself as a complete and utter nerd, but I play PoGo (not as much as I did when it came out, because I have a life most months of the year). If Amtrak REALLY wanted to make bank during this event, they'd have a train run a loop going about 6 miles an hour. The game tracks your walking distance progress and the distance walked translates into progress in the game. The fastest you can "walk" and have the game count it is around 6.5mph. If they ran a train at 6mph, sold tickets and then just sold tons of food and beverages onboard (and even better, wifi and air conditioning) PoGo players would camp out in there all day. I mean, you'd need a dedicated track, but it would be a great move if they could pull it off.

I'm a PoGo player, too (when I have the time to do it) and that's the most genius marketing idea I've ever read. Though I'm not sure that it would gain any "normal" riders.

Pere Marquette: 370 (CHI, HOM, GRR); 371 (GRR, HOM, CHI) | Heartland Flyer: 821 (OKC, NOR, FTW); 822 (FTW, NOR, OKC) | Texas Eagle: 22 (FTW, CHI)

S Shore Line | TRE | DART | MTA | NJT | DC Metro | MBTA | CTA | Denver RTD | MARTA | ATL Streetcar | QLine | Paris Métropolitain | Barcelona Metro | Greyhound Lines | Jefferson Lines

#18 Ziv

Ziv

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:55 AM

This might explain the "pokey" speed of the Washington DC streetcar. It was famous for taking a whopping 26 minutes to cover just 2 miles. I think it has sped up a bit of late, though.

https://ggwash.org/v...er-than-walking

Edited by Ziv, 17 June 2017 - 05:58 AM.

#19 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,563 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:04 AM

That will be a good week to NOT go to Chicago and for those who live there to find somewhere else to go until things return to "normal."

Fortunately, you're not the arbiter of what's normal and what's abnormal.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#20 trainman74

trainman74

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:32 PM

A lot of people coming to Chicago over a summer weekend to walk around with their noses buried in their phones the whole time?

Sounds pretty normal to me!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users