26 replies to this topic

#21 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:25 AM

Probably a good home for a bag dorm also. Doubtful that 2 full bags are needed. If the NY bag became a bag dorm the Boston OBS would have to move their belongings at Albany, not sure how much of an issue that would be, but it would add a good chunk of rooms without adding another car that might need to be platformed.

Edited by PVD, 14 June 2017 - 07:27 AM.

#22 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,752 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:58 AM

Clearly LSL is the prime candidate to get some additional Sleepers first, when the VL II Sleepers start arriving.

This and also a VLII Diner!
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#23 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:22 AM

Probably a good home for a bag dorm also.

You have to get them first. :wub:  By the time they are released, they may have altered the consist.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#24 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:24 AM

Good point....

#25 mycalpal

mycalpal

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:24 AM

I was just on the LakeShore from Chicago to Albany this week, they crew said the LSL will be getting the new VL II diners over the next year as more of the new diners are deployed into service.  I hope the sleepers are not far behind, we were six hours late into Albany-Rensselaer on Tuesday and the late departure from Chicago was due, among other things, to issues with the air conditioning on the sleeper cars, something I have experience on past trips.  I think the only thing we found really annoying was they had us leave the Chicago Metropolitan Lounge to "board" when they knew it was delayed, we were already late and the message board noted delayed.  We get down to the gates and they herded us into a waiting area they had cleared for the sleeping car/business class passengers and we sat there for over 2 hours.   I think they just wanted to close the lounge on time.  In past LSL trips with delays with the old Metropolitan Lounge they kept it open for us and we waited there.  Have others experienced this with delays at Chicago?  

#26 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:44 AM

It might have to do with the lounge services being contracted out. Staying open outside of regular hours means someone outside of Amtrak is going to want to get paid extra, I'm sure it is part of their contract, and it probably isn't pretty.

#27 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,202 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:50 PM

Probably a good home for a bag dorm also. Doubtful that 2 full bags are needed. If the NY bag became a bag dorm the Boston OBS would have to move their belongings at Albany, not sure how much of an issue that would be, but it would add a good chunk of rooms without adding another car that might need to be platformed.

Boston OBS would be one or two folks, right?  Depending on what they actually do as far as space in the bag-dorm (and whether it's a set of standard roomettes or something different) they could, at least in theory, assign a few pax spaces in the bag-dorm (which on the LSL would probably have a few spaces open regardless) and put those OBS in the BOS sleeper.

Another option would be to simply staff the cafe BOS-ALB with a dedicated cafe attendant for that segment and have the through attendant ride up from NYP and start operating it after the trains merge.

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users