2 replies to this topic

#1 Agent

Agent

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:29 PM

I caught Amtrak #5(05) at Agency, Iowa this evening with three private cars from the original California Zephyr on the end.  They were the dome car Silver Lariat, sleeping car Silver Rapids, and the dome car Silver Solarium.  These three are on their way home after participating in the Norfolk & Western 611 excursions.  Also, the last Superliner on the train was an extra snack coach.  Don't know why that was there.

#2 City of Miami

City of Miami

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:19 AM

I saw the Silver Solarium last Friday morning I think on the back of NER 176 at Charlottesville. I've never before seen private cars on this train which originates in Lynchburg. I wondered about that and this explains it.

#3 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,066 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:03 PM

That was a nice 'teaser'...wouldn't it be great to see the entire original CZ, E-units and all, passing thru?  I wonder if there are enough of the original cars around to attempt to recreate that train? 2019 would be its seventieth  anniversary, 2020 would be the fiftieth anniversary of its end...either one a nice time to run it? (hint, hint to PV owners).... :)

Edited by railiner, 06 June 2017 - 09:07 PM.

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users