NOLA to Portland OR and back to NOLA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tennessee Traveler

Conductor
It's time for my next Amtrak adventure. This time I will be traveling on five Amtrak trains, one tourist train, and stay ten nights in hotels in New Orleans and Portland, OR. Here is my travel blog post previewing the trip. I just booked an Oregon Coast day tour that includes a short ride on a steam engine tourist train on the Oregon Coast today so it was not included in the preview blog post. While traveling I will be posting short daily IPhone photo blog updates. You can sign up to receive these on the blog webpage where it says "FOLLOW BY EMAIL"

HERE'S THE BLOG PREVIEW: June 4-20 Amtrak Summer 2017 Adventure Preview - New Orleans and Portland, OR

You will note the blog page header photo and a small mention in the blog to my Nashville Predators winning the NHL Stanley Cup Western Conference Championship and are now playing the Pittsburgh Penguins in the Stanley Cup Finals.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been home 12 days from my June Amtrak Summer Adventure. All the photos have been updated to my photo galleries on line and can be reached from my latest travel blog update post I posted June 26.

HERE IS THE PHOTO UPDATE BLOG POST: June 4-20 Amtrak Summer 2017 Adventure - New Orleans and Portland, OR - Photo Galleries are Uploaded

If you enjoy reading that last update and have not subscribed to the travel blog you can back track from that post to see all the daily IPhone photos and brief blog updates I did. If you would like to subscribe I'd like that. One note of importance. My next travel which I will report on via my travel blog is not until October 4. Happily and then a bit anxiously July and August will have family events wedding in Louisiana and a pharmacy school white coat ceremony in East Tennessee followed by cataract surgery here in Nashville on left eye August 16 and right eye August 30. This last event is the anxious part since while I understand the procedure is quick and not painful, beginning August 2 I begin eye drop process eventually requiring multiple drops from four different types of eye drops. That should last until around mid to late September. No, I will not be doing travel blog updates covering the family events or the cataract surgery. I hope to be back October with better vision and ready to travel on the Southwest Chief Chicago to Albuquerque for the balloon fest. Cannot plan much for Winter months and into 2018 until I stabilize my senior citizen bank roll since most of the cataract surgery is above the allowable Medicare cost meaning I will have to pay extra for the lens implant and the related doctor fees.

Lovely photos--thanks for sharing! I am looking forward to seeing Portland at the Gathering, and will be staying at a hotel on that river. Did you go on the pedestrian walkway? If so, what's it like? (short, long, busy, quiet?)

I wish you the best of luck with the eye surgeries--just think how much clearer the scenery will appear on your train travels after that! :)

Thanks, Mystic River. Yes, I did walk across and back over the pedestrian walkway. By the way the orange line Tri Met also goes over this bridge. It's an easy relaxing walk. I enjoyed it and I'm 75. The Oregon Heritage Rail Museum is just over the river from downtown at the end of that bridge so I went back a second time to visit the museum. The museum is only open Thursday through Sunday 1PM to 6PM. There was a steady pace of walkers, runners, and bikers across the bridge but not crowded. And while not short it is an easy length only taking about 10 to 15 leisurely minutes. I stopped several times to take photos.

Back