ticketed from BBY, OK to board at BOS?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tricia

Conductor
Just spent WAY too much time on the phone booking an AGR redemption. Now I find that the e-ticket has me going from POR to BON on the Downeaster (as expected) ... but then my next train, Acela heading south, is ticketed from BBY rather than BOS.

I understand I'm on my own getting from BON to either BBY or BOS. (Hope I can find the thread on this forum that details how best to do that.) But with nearly 90 minutes of connection time, I'd rather spend most of it at BOS rather than BBY.

Can I simply board at BOS instead of BBY, or do I need to call Amtrak to modify the ticket?

Thanks in advance for advice. I'm posting here rather than the AGR forum since my question isn't really AGR-related.

I highly doubt if your ticket will be lifted between North Station and Back Bay. By the time the conductor gets to you it won't make a difference. Besides, what could he do? Put you off at Back Bay when you could get right back on with a valid ticket?

Thanks for the prompt advice! Good to know I can use either station with my ticket. If the Downeaster is running late, the direct Orange Line connection to Back Bay might be best. But if I've got more than an hour to wait, South Station is more pleasant.

You didn't mention if you were riding First or Business, but if you're riding First Class, you may also wish to make use of the lounge which is only available at South Station. If you're in Business you could pay $20 for lounge access, though I wouldn't particularly say it's worth it (unless it's late afternoon when the station is packed), although the architecture in there is quiet nice.

For anyone in the future who finds this thread by using the search feature... No matter which stop you are ticketed for you may board or detrain at any of the Boston stops (BOS - South Station, BBY - Back Bay), or RTE - Route 128/University Park) for no additional charge, as Amtrak charges the same fare to/from all three stops.

If you're in Business you could pay $20 for lounge access, though I wouldn't particularly say it's worth it
Its actually a terrible value.

Usually when I travel with my kids, I'll get an AGR ClubAcela pass. One pass covers both myself, and those travelling with me. Its also good for both my starting and ending points. I'll grab a couple newspapers, and all the snacks and trinks I can stuff in my bag. The bathrooms are spotless, and its never been crowded. Unlike the other ClubAcelas which are almost always crowded, and empty of all snacks.

The South Station pass is strictly per-person. Kids need a separate pass, and its not a day pass like the AGR one. Its only good for Boston.

Back