Good take-out near Boston's North Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesertDude

Train Attendant
I'll be taking the Downeaster from Boston to Portland in a few weeks. Is there a good restaurant close to the station where I could grab a nice meal to bring on the train?

Since Boston North Station is at the TD Boston Garden sports arena there are many places to choose from in the area. Just google "restaurants near North Station Boston" and at least a dozen or more will pop up and you can determine which one suits your needs.

There should also be a pizza and a sandwich shop in the waiting area.

The Downeaster, a State run train, has excellent cafe food and drink ( and Crew members,including Coke instead of that Swill Pepsi!) compared to the garbage peddled in most Amtrak cafes.

I'd say ride in the Excellent 2x1 Biz Class which is in the Cafe Car and eat and drink while you enjoy the ride.

North Station is not far from the North End, and Monica's on Salem Street has the best Italian Sandwich you'll find anywhere.

http://monicasboston.com/salumeria/

The cafe car on the Downeaster may have better offerings, but nothing beats a sandwich made as you wait.

Hit up The Modern Pastry shop on Hanover Street (yes, The Modern, not Mikes), and you'll be set.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Trip Advisor might provide additional leads with many more reviews than you'll ever get here.

I think we know why there is no Coke on Amtrak.....

47train113.jpg

The pizza place in North Station is pretty good. We have grabbed some pies for the trip many times. The McDs and Dunkin are worse then usual as they only have limited menus.

Across the street near the temp subway station is an Au Bon Pan, Jimmy John, etc. Other pizza places and bars. Most good for a "grab and go". While I like the Downeaster Cafe, everything is microwaved.

Back