Midway to CUS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much $ for cab fare to CUS from Midway Airport?
In my experience the cost of taking a cab between either airport and the downtown loop can run between $30 and $50 and sometimes more. Just depends on traffic and weather and conventions and closures and such. For me Orange/Blue and Uber/Lyft are the way to go.

Does the Super Shuttle operate in Chicago?
No

Midway is also served by the CTA Orange Line, which will get you to the loop. It's then a few blocks walk from the L to CUS (or grab a cab from there). There are buses as well, but none of the CTA buses have a direct service. Alternatively Google seems to think that Van Galder offers a Shuttle from MDW to CUS, I've never taken it, and can't find that route on the VG website...

peter

Does the Super Shuttle operate in Chicago?
No

Midway is also served by the CTA Orange Line, which will get you to the loop. It's then a few blocks walk from the L to CUS (or grab a cab from there). There are buses as well, but none of the CTA buses have a direct service. Alternatively Google seems to think that Van Galder offers a Shuttle from MDW to CUS, I've never taken it, and can't find that route on the VG website...

peter
Some of their Madison-Rockford-Chicago buses serve both MDW and CUS but it appears that they will not set tickets between MDW and CUS. Digging around on the Coach USA website, I found their schedules showing those buses but they do not list fares between either MDW or ORD and downtown Chicago.

RF, my suggestion is to take the Orange line to Quincy. Quincy is the closet Loop station to CUS. From there you can either get a cab or Uber to CUS. Even with walking issues it's cheaper and still convenient.

RF, my suggestion is to take the Orange line to Quincy. Quincy is the closet Loop station to CUS. From there you can either get a cab or Uber to CUS. Even with walking issues it's cheaper and still convenient.
Even though I prefer to take the Orange Line over funding the taxi mafia I cannot deny that the transit station for Midway is both stupid far and exposed to the elements. Or at least it was the last time I was there. Does MDW have a marked ride sharing curb like some other airports?

Are cabs always available @ Quincy?
Cabs in Downtown Chicago are like cabs in NYC. Always around pretty much.
I don't think Quincy has an elevator yet (expected to be complete by end of 2017), but one stop before, Washington / Wells does have an elevator and would be a comparable cab fare to Union.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are cabs always available @ Quincy?
It's a street corner that's very close to Giodarnos. It's a 2 minute walk at best from Quincy to AU's pizza joint.

But reading other posts it seems that it's quite a distance from the main airport to the station. If you do choose this option.. I would see if your airline can provide you with some type of accommodation to help you get there such as a wheelchair or go cart.

The walk from the terminals to the Orange Line is quite a hike, and there aren't any moving walkways to assist. I've seen airport staff driving golf-cart-type vehicles through the "hallways" that lead to the Orange Line, but I don't know if they're designed for shuttling passengers.

I have always found the Orange Line to be by far the best option. The Midway station is not right in the terminal, but no matter what option you choose some walking will likely be necessary.

For someone with walking issues, I would NOT recommend taking the Orange line because 1) at MDW it is quite a long walk even for able-bodied folks to reach the Orange line station, and 2) not all stations in the Loop are ADA-friendly so you may end up having to climb down stairs.

You can use Uber or Lyft from Midway to CUS. It will be cheaper than taxi almost any day and you would know the fare upfront before you decide to call the car.

Back