Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Glacier National Park

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Pooh2

Pooh2

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:09 PM

Are there hotels that are near the train stations?

Do the train stations in the park have a rental cars without going off property?

Is it possible to tour without a rental car using tours and shuttles?

#2 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:39 PM

We've got plans in the works for East Glacier Park (GPK). The Glacier Park Lodge is pretty much a stones throw from the station at East Glacier. This hotel provides a shuttle to/from the Amtrak station. I believe other may hotels do the same.  

Rental cars are available in East Glacier Village but I'd recommend reservations...I don't know the availability of rental vehicles. We reserved through Avis.They will also pick you up and drop you off.

There also lodging at West Glacier (WGL) and Essex (ESM) (Izaak Walton Inn) and may have car rental available.

In-park, there are "Red Bus" tours and the NPS has a park shuttle as well. 

You might wander over to the Glacier NP website as well as others to research. Google for starters!

From photos I've been seeing, they are still trying to get the "Going to the Sun Road" plowed and open...lots of snow this past winter!

Enjoy...its beautiful.

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#3 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,080 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:39 PM

When I went to Glacier National Park, I stayed at Lake MacDonald Lodge, not too far from the West Glacier Station.  I took a Park shuttle from the station to the Lodge (and had made reservations in advance).  The Red Bus tour picked me up that the Lodge and returned me.  

Amtrak miles: 227,873; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#4 rph

rph

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:44 PM

In East Glacier, I'd definitely recommend rental car reservations.  Avis and Budget rentals are provided at the Glacier Park Trading Company, which is a short walk from the station.  We rented from them last July, and I don't think they had a large fleet available.  More importantly, they will also stay open if the Empire Builder is late (as ours was) if you have a car reserved.

Regarding East Glacier lodging, the Glacier Park Lodge is beautiful and very close to the station and will shuttle you as John indicated.  I can't comment on availablity or cost, however.  During our visit, we stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in Browning (we used points for a couple nights free rooms), which is about 15 miles east of East Glacier. 

Have fun, it's breathtaking scenery!

Ray

#5 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:52 PM

I took a road trip to Glacier National Park with my father in 2011. We stayed at the tiny Izaak Walton Hotel in equally tiny Essex, Montana. While small, it is the only commercial lodging that I know of in the immediate vicinity of the park which is open year-round...they cater to cross-country skiiers in the wintertime, as well as railroad snow removal crews. It's remote...no cell phone service and no electronics permitted in the lobby, although free wi-fi internet is available downstairs in the bar.

The setting of the Izaak Walton is spectacular...there are mountains on all four sides of the hotel:

Attached File  IzaakWalton.jpg   100.31KB   41 downloads

We were able to take a Red Bus tour of the park during our stay. We had originally planned to take the circle tour of the park through the Going-To-The-Sun Road, but they were still digging out from fifty feet of snowfall over the winter. Instead, the tour guide took us on a loop through the east side of the park, past the Amtrak station at East Glacier and the Glacier Park Lodge just a stone's throw from it:

Attached File  GlacierPark.jpg   84.96KB   41 downloads

For my money, though, the most scenic lodging at the park (and the place I'd most want to return to if I had time and funds) is the Many Glacier Lodge north of East Glacier, about halfway up to the Canadian border. While there is shuttle service available through the Red Bus concessionaire, I'd strongly recommend a rental car if you wanted to stay there (rental cars are available in East Glacier during the park's summer operating season). The hotel sits right on the lake and the setting is remote and spectacular:

Attached File  ManyGlacier.jpg   144.62KB   40 downloads

Finally, three years later in May 2014 we returned to the area, staying about an hour's drive up the road in Whitefish. We drove out to Glacier Park and visited in the vicinity of West Glacier, which we hadn't seen in 2011. Although it was the off season and most of the park and all of the lodges were closed (save the Izaak Walton), I did snap this photo of the boat pier at the Lake MacDonald Lodge. I would rank this lodge's scenic setting a close second to Many Glacier:

Attached File  MacDonaldPier.jpg   127.45KB   41 downloads

All in all, one of the most beautiful parts of the country. Definitely worth a visit...or two, or three, or four....

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#6 norfolkwesternhenry

norfolkwesternhenry

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Boating, Trains, Mountain Biking, Trains, Having Fun, Trains, working on my bikes, Trains, planning my next trip, PV, trains, planning trips for family

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:58 PM

I would reccomend the Isaac Walton Inn, at Essex, I have not staued there, but I hear it's great for railfanning, as it's located a few yards from the BNSF northern transcon, they even have a bridge over the tracks to sit on and watch trains.

Empire Builder MSP-CHI (2) CHI-MSP (2) MSP-PDX (1) MSP-CBS (5.5 H late) (1) MKE-MSP (1) MSP-SEA (1) Coast Starlate PDX-EMY (1.5H late) (1) California Zephyr DEN-SLC (1H late) (1) Hiawatha CHI-MKE (1) NE Regional WAS-BAL (1) WAS-NYP (1) Acela Express BAL-WAS (1) BOS-WAS (1) Late Shore (Limited service) CHI-BOS (On Time) (1) Capitol Limited WAS-CHI (1) Texas Eagle SAS-CHI (1.5 HR late, 1 HR late) (2) CHI-SAS (1) (55 min early) Wolverine DET-DER-ARB-CHI (35 Min late) (1) Cascades SEA-VAC (1)
Non-Amtrak: VIA: Corridor Service Q.C.-Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto-Windsor (1) Canadian: VAC-Winnipeg 4.5 H late (1) D. C. metro, Montreal Metro, Toronto subway, Portland streetcars, BART, Metra, NYC subway, Boston subway, Twin cities Blue/Green line

#7 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:04 AM

I would reccomend the Isaac Walton Inn, at Essex, I have not staued there, but I hear it's great for railfanning, as it's located a few yards from the BNSF northern transcon, they even have a bridge over the tracks to sit on and watch trains.

That footbridge is where my first picture above was taken from. If you like quiet, remote, and off the beaten path (and I do), it's hard to beat the Izaak Walton.

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!

#8 willem

willem

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:38 PM

We stayed at the tiny Izaak Walton Hotel in equally tiny Essex, Montana.
[...]
It's remote...no cell phone service and no electronics permitted in the lobby, although free wi-fi internet is available downstairs in the bar.

No electronics in the lobby would be fine, but quiet hours would be better. The time I stayed there, there were noisy patrons until about 4 in the morning, and no staff available. I complained the next day and was assured it would not happen again, and the next night was the same.

The new owners might run a tighter ship, but I would not stay there again without some assurance that I could sleep at night.

#9 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 03:08 PM

We didn't have any problems at all on our three-night visit in 2011. We stayed in one of the first floor rooms with a queen and a twin bed. If you really want peace and quiet, you could spring for one of the freestanding cabins or cabooses which the hotel operates.

#10 rusty spike

rusty spike

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Interests:Railroad history, Travel by train (or just about anything else)

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:05 PM

We chose the option of not staying "in the park". We detrained from the eastbound EB at Whitefish (which offers checked luggage), where the local Hertz agency had placed a car for us to pick up. They have a satellite office in the station but is not open at that hour. Due to unavailability and higher prices we stayed near West Glacier (Columbia Falls) in a conventional hotel, drove the loop thru G-T-T-S road and around on U.S. 2 thru Essex (Isaac Walton Inn) and Marias Pass. Did not take any commercial tour except boat cruise at Lake MacDonald. If I had stayed at one of the lodges, I would have passed on the rental car and taken the Red Bus tour. As a side trip, we crossed the border to visit the adjoining Waterton Lakes National Park. The view from the Prince-of-Wales hotel is awesome. I recommend it.

I cannot say enough about the scenery at Glacier- and IMHO, some of the best in all of North America. And coming from someone who resides the Grand Canyon state, that's saying something.

My heart is warm with friends I make,
And better friends I'll not be knowing;
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,
No matter where it's going.
--
Edna St. Vincent Millay

#11 Pooh2

Pooh2

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:10 PM

Great information and wonderful photos! Thanks!!

#12 greatcats

greatcats

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:06 AM

I will be doing a campground talk for the National Park Service in Flagstaff this summer that I've been preparing. The topic will be the History of Railroads and National Park Lodges. One that I discovered in my research is the Belton Chalet near the West Glacier station. It was the first Great Northern hotel at Glacier and is now privately operated. It looks quite appealing.
I was a commuter railroad employee in NJ for many years until 2002, and have since been a tour guide at Grand Canyon National Park and Ketchikan, Alaska. Also, have been a National Park Volunteer at Hawaii Volcanoes and now Sunset Crater Volcano near my home. If not on Amtrak, also like long road trips, camping some of the time.

#13 dogbert617

dogbert617

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:50 AM

Speaking of Glacier National Park: are there any shuttles within the park that transport you to different parts of that national park, once you're inside? A la like what Zion National Park does, in southwest Utah. Or are the shuttles complimentary ones, only limited to people staying at a certain hotel/motel/lodge near the respective Amtrak stops in the vicinity of Glacier National Park?

Had been trying to figure out what I should do, since that'd be a cool trip to do someday. Sometimes I wonder if it'd just be best to rent a car anyway after I booked some hotel/motel, just to be safe. Probably would need to do that(along with bringing my passport), if I also wanted to see neighboring Waterton Lake National Park in Alberta, Canada. I will google Red Bus later, was wondering what their shuttle service within Glacier National Park was like.

Edited by dogbert617, 25 May 2017 - 04:51 AM.

#14 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:13 AM

The concessionaire that runs the Red Bus tours also does provide shuttle service within the park, although I'd have to direct you to their telephone number for information on schedules and pricing.

Edit To Add: I see that's a repeat of what I said above. When I last checked, the shuttle service connected the major lodges in the park and, I believe, the Amtrak stations. However, IIRC, they operated on a space-available basis and did not take reservations. Made it difficult to plan. Of course, I could be remembering wrong or policies could have changed in the past few years; check for yourself.

Edited by ehbowen, 25 May 2017 - 06:32 AM.

#15 RPC

RPC

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:05 AM

Yes, there is a shuttle: https://www.nps.gov/...it/shuttles.htm. Be aware that in high season the queues can be significant.

#16 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 02:33 PM

Is there any Red Bus or shuttle service around the park during the winter? I will likely be visiting in early January (probably Izaak Walton Inn) and nobody in my group drives so a rental car is not an option.
Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SJC-LAX, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB MSP-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS-ALB, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-DNC, SM ORL-NYP, SS FTL-WAS
New Routes: LSL NYP-CHI, CZ CHI-RIC, CS SJC-SEA, EB SEA-MSP

#17 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:54 PM

Is there any Red Bus or shuttle service around the park during the winter? I will likely be visiting in early January (probably Izaak Walton Inn) and nobody in my group drives so a rental car is not an option.

Don't think so (not sure). Been watching Glacier NP on Facebook and they are still plowing roads and trying to get campgrounds open. BNSF had their hands full as well with our past winter.

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#18 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,534 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography, reading. And any combination thereof. :)

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:58 PM

No. The Red Bus tours run from mid-June through mid-September and the shuttles run from the first of July through the first few days of September.
Amtrak miles traveled: 85410
Pre-Amtrak miles traveled:8478
Bustitution miles traveled:450
States traveled through on Amtrak: 44

#19 Palmland

Palmland

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Interests:Transportation, Model RR, Exploring the U.S., First class rail travel

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:38 PM

I will be doing a campground talk for the National Park Service in Flagstaff this summer that I've been preparing. The topic will be the History of Railroads and National Park Lodges. One that I discovered in my research is the Belton Chalet near the West Glacier station. It was the first Great Northern hotel at Glacier and is now privately operated. It looks quite appealing.

Greatcats, we stayed at the Belton Chalet several years ago in May. We loved it. We had lunch at the Issac Walton Inn and although we didn't stay there, we prefered the Betlon Chalet. Their restaurant food was outstanding (the locals said it was the best in the area); the trackside deck was perfect for cocktail hour; a passing siding in addition to the double main provided much rail activity with trains often parked on the siding; a couple minutes to Apgar village and the west entrance to the park and Lake McDonald area; a short walk to the West Glacier, aka Belton, station and the Amtrak stop; the places oozes history and our room with a balcony providee a bed side view of the tracks. Highly recommended.

When and where are your talks in Flagstaff. We often stop there when on our way from visiting relatives in Phoenix area to a stay at LaPosada.

#20 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,524 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:47 PM

In August 2013, I took a trip to Glacier Park for a little vacation. I had passed by the area many times on Amtrak, vowing to someday hop off & check it out. Of course, I got all the advice I could from folks who had been there, including this group. Turned out, it's the most enjoyable trip of my life!!! 

The hotel shuttle was waiting for me at the West Glacier station & took me directly to my hotel, The Village Inn at Apgar. The Inn is literally on the tip of Lake McDonald. Wish I could send pics but I got out of Flicker a few years back. I was without a car & never needed one. The little village has a camping store, Eddy's Restaurant, ice cream vendor, boat rentals, three very nice gift shops & the Red Bus Tour bus picked me up at the Inn & the free Park Shuttle stopped a block up the street! BTW, the Inn's prices were very reasonable!!! Google is your friend!!! The Village Inn at Apgar

HAVE FUN

RF

Edited by Rail Freak, 25 May 2017 - 06:48 PM.

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(6) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(6), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58, #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (4), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63, San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422 (2), Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 60,169 miles & 41 states!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users