Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

LA to DC - Routing Question

43 replies to this topic

#41 Eliza

Eliza

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 02:09 PM

It's going to be close on the connection. Amtrak is currently showing an arrival time of 5pm. And that seems optimistic given that we aren't even to Galesburg yet. But keeping my fingers crossed.

The trip itself has been great so far. Gorgeous scenery - especially in parts of NM and Colorado. I'm hoping to write up a longer post with my impressions once I have my computer and a wifi connection.

#42 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,502 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 08 July 2017 - 03:17 PM

Nervous times!!! But you'll laugh when you look back. If I could avoid the connection worries, I'd have a more enjoyable trip. That's why I may include Hotels @ connections as a buffer in the future, as much as I hate paying the $$$ just for a place to lay my head !!!!!!!!! 

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(6) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(6), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58, #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (4), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63, San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422 (2), Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 60,169 miles & 41 states!

HAVE FUN

#43 Eliza

Eliza

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 03:54 PM

Ha ha ha. I'm trying not to worry about it because que sera sera. But that's easier said than done.

The scenery in the mid-west is less impressive to me. Probably because I've driven all over this section of the country on back roads and have seen my fill of endless corn fields.

#44 Eliza

Eliza

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 05:49 PM

Made the connection with about 10 minutes to spare.  Luckily they were on tracks directly next to each other, so it was easy.  They also had an agent with a giant sign to catch folks as they were coming off the platform and direct us to the right train.  I'm in an aisle seat for this leg --- already missing the upstairs window seat I had from LA to CHI. But, internet is making me happy - between the cruise and the long train ride this might be the longest I've gone without internet access in a decade.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users