Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

LA to DC - Routing Question

43 replies to this topic

#21 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,105 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 11:04 PM

Eastbound CL is one of my favorites during the fall but the Cardinal views are great too, but there is no SSL, therefore I prefer the CL eastbound and Cardinal westbound.

Forgive my complete ignorance, but what is SSL?

Sightseer Lounge

Amtrak miles: 227,873; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#22 Eliza

Eliza

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:40 PM

Eastbound CL is one of my favorites during the fall but the Cardinal views are great too, but there is no SSL, therefore I prefer the CL eastbound and Cardinal westbound.

Sightseer Lounge

Thanks!  Good to know ---- I'm finding out that the more I learn --- the more I understand how much I still don't know.  But, I'm looking forward to the trip and glad to have found some likeminded folks who enjoy long travel.  My mom called and asked if I wanted to borrow money because she assumed I was taking the train instead of flying to save cash.  I had to explain that the train ticket was actually more than flying.  She now just thinks I'm nuts.

#23 Pere Flyer

Pere Flyer

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Writing, dancing, traveling

Posted 03 June 2017 - 01:38 PM

Sightseer Lounge
It's also the sound that the Lounge Lizards make. ;) ssl…ssl…

Edited by Pere Flyer, 03 June 2017 - 01:39 PM.

Pere Marquette: 370 (CHI, HOM, GRR); 371 (GRR, HOM, CHI) | Heartland Flyer: 821 (OKC, NOR, FTW); 822 (FTW, NOR, OKC) | Texas Eagle: 22 (FTW, CHI)

S Shore Line | TRE | DART | MTA | NJT | DC Metro | MBTA | CTA | Denver RTD | MARTA | ATL Streetcar | QLine | Paris Métropolitain | Barcelona Metro | Greyhound Lines | Jefferson Lines

#24 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:27 PM

When you fly you do not get to see this beautiful country.  Often we are too busy to appreciate the land we are blessed to live in.  You will experience the ever changing landscape.

#25 anuenue

anuenue

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:13 PM

I just finished LA to DC myself. I took Southwest Chief, and stopped off for 4 days in Santa Fe (the stop is LMY) before continuing to CHI. I stayed there for 4 days, then took Capitol Limited to DC.

If you want to find your passion, look where your mind goes when it wanders.

#26 Eliza

Eliza

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:31 AM

Thanks for all the help --- I'm leaving on my trip on Saturday (although the train portion doesn't start until later).

I'm very much looking forward to it, but currently stressing over how to get everything I need for a 4 day cruise plus 3 day train trip into a carry on + personal item.  I keep trying to remind myself that minimalism is the key.

#27 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:34 AM

I'm very much looking forward to it, but currently stressing over how to get everything I need for a 4 day cruise plus 3 day train trip into a carry on + personal item.  I keep trying to remind myself that minimalism is the key.

That and a roll of quarters for the laundromat!

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#28 Eliza

Eliza

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 12:08 PM

@ehbowen - You hit the nail on the head.  The great debate is whether I can contrive to pack so that I won't need to do laundry --- the only time I'd be able to do wash would be on the cruise and who wants to waste cruising time waiting for the dryer to finish?

Also debating leaving my Chromebook at home.  I can't remember the last time I traveled without at least one laptop, but maybe I don't need it this trip.

#29 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 12:19 PM

Check and see what your cruise line offers in the way of laundry service. That, and when we were on our big 2-week trip last September the B&B we stayed in pointed us to a local laundromat which offered "wash & fold" service. We just dropped our dirty laundry off, went to have dinner, and picked it up a couple of hours later all clean and folded. Definitely worth the price of admission!

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#30 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 29 June 2017 - 02:32 PM

How many days will you be away from home?

It sounds like you cruise first and then ride the train?

1963U. S. Congress - underground trolley system • Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

Amtrak: California Zephyr Coast Starlight •  Southwest ChiefSunset LimitedTexas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr

. . . . . . . Amtrak miles - 16,383, so far.

#31 Eliza

Eliza

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:18 PM

My full trip is 9 days, 8 nights.  1 night in LA, 4 nights on cruise ship, 3 nights on the trains. 

#32 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 08:23 PM

I have taken 14 day and 16 day trips, with 7 - 8 nights on the train, so I pack for a worse case, but hope I find a washer/dryer someplace.  A front desk pointed me to a wash/fold service that would drop the finished clothes off at the front desk if I took them over.  It is amazing how helpful some people are.

#33 Eliza

Eliza

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 05:27 PM

I am happy to report that I am all packed - had more space than I anticipated so I was able to bring along an extra light-weight sweater and will probably end up bringing the chromebook as well.  I can survive with no laundry, if needed. Really looking forward to the trip and my first long-distance train experience.

#34 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 30 June 2017 - 05:30 PM

I am happy to report that I am all packed - had more space than I anticipated so I was able to bring along an extra light-weight sweater and will probably end up bringing the chromebook as well.  I can survive with no laundry, if needed. Really looking forward to the trip and my first long-distance train experience.

HAVE FUN!!!

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(6) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(6), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58, #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (4), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63, San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422 (2), Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 60,169 miles & 41 states!

#35 oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts
  • Interests:Cross-country skiing, forestry, botany, solar power, gardening and food!

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:57 PM

HAVE FUN!!!

I second that suggestion!

(... and I should tell you that I met Rail Freak in the Pacific Parlour Car on the Coast Starlight many years ago, and he's the one that told me I should get in this forum, so here I am, LOL!)

Jennifer

I'm a "little Old Lady in Tennis Shoes" (LOLITS) from Eastern Oregon. I love to travel by train, though I live way out in the toolies, far from the nearest Amtrak station (Chemult). My station would have been Baker City, but they cancelled the Oregon Pioneer just before I took my first long-distance train trip as an adult. I've taken most trains in the West, but I'm still exploring new routes in the east.

#36 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,281 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 01 July 2017 - 12:58 AM

Bon Voyage!😎

And please let us know how your trip goes!
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#37 Eliza

Eliza

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:59 PM

Thanks for all of the advice everyone --- I'm at Union Station in LAX waiting for the Southwest Chief to start boarding. It looks like delays have been affecting the route enough that the Southwest Chief has been misconnecting with both the Cardinal and Capitol most days recently. 

My backup plan A is the Capitol departing Chicago at 6:40PM

Backup plan B is the Lakeshore Limited departing CHI for NYP at 9:30PM connecting to a NE Regional or Acela or Vermonter (or whatever train runs that corridor that I've forgotten).

If the Southwest Chief is delayed enough that I can't connect to the Lakeshore Limited in Chicago, any insight on what happens?  I assume they will book me for whatever is available the next day (Cardinal or Capitol).  Would they put me up in a hotel room in Chicago for the night?  Or would I be responsible for making arrangements for the overnight in Chicago?  Also, who do I see in Chicago if I misconnect and need to be rebooked.

Thanks in advance - I'm pretty laid back about it, it will be what it will be and worst case scenario is that I get an overnight in Chi.  Just wondering what to expect/what the procedures are in the event of a delay/misconnect.

#38 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:54 PM

If your connection is on the same reservation number, Amtrak will rebook your ongoing reservations itself and also provide a hotel as well a voucher for cash for cab fare and meals.  They may provide some kind shuttle bus to the hotel, depends on how many misconnecting passengers they have.  You'll probably be advised by an announcement on the train prior to arrival to go to Passenger Services at Chicago Union Station, which will have your revised reservation and hotel.  They often used to board Passenger Services representatives down the line and do that onboard,but the last few times I misconnected in Chicago they had stopped doing that.  I don't know if Passenger Services is still in the same place, they've been moving things around in CUS lately.

Amtrak will take of the rebooking and you'd go to passenger services even if you were in time for the Lakeshore if you are reserved on the Capitol (which I assume you are.

If the two segments are not on the same reservation, you may well be on your own.  I have heard that sometimes Amtrak can put it together and handle you the same way as if you were on the same reservation, but I would not count on that.  If they are separate reservations, be prepared that Amtrak said they'd get you to Chicago and they got you to Chicago, and you're on own.

I have misconnected in Chicago more times than I can count.  Amtrak is pretty good about taking care of you.

SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr, Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-Orlando), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal), BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

#39 Eliza

Eliza

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:18 PM

Thank you for all the information! I'm on one ticket currently scheduled on the Cardinal, so it should all go relatively smoothly even if there is a delay.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but don't have a lot of hope. We're already falling behind schedule and we are still in CA and haven't hit the area where they expect to have slow downs.

#40 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 08 July 2017 - 12:46 PM

Well, how is it going???  ;)

Edited by Rail Freak, 08 July 2017 - 12:49 PM.

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(6) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(6), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58, #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (4), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63, San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422 (2), Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 60,169 miles & 41 states!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users