• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 02 June 2017 - 07:44 AM

With the introduction of AGR 2.0 ... more were required for LD tickets.

If your going end to end or "the long way" (like WAS-SEA via NYP, CHI and LAX), that is true. But how about CLE-CHI (which is also a LD route)? :huh: It used to be 2 zones (8,000 or 20,000 or 30,000)! I bet it costs much less now.

So you can't just say that more points are required for LD routes.

I stand corrected on this point.   Points are worth more on shorter trips but still not on par with cash. Right?

#22 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,396 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 02 June 2017 - 08:39 AM

It's less a matter of the worth of points (since they now have a semi-fixed cash value), and more that the points cost are more proportional to voyage length. That's good for short trips (they cost fewer points) and bad for long trips (they cost more)...
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#23 oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts
  • Interests:Cross-country skiing, forestry, botany, solar power, gardening and food!

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:44 AM

With the introduction of AGR 2.0 ... more were required for LD tickets.

If your going end to end or "the long way" (like WAS-SEA via NYP, CHI and LAX), that is true. But how about CLE-CHI (which is also a LD route)? :huh: It used to be 2 zones (8,000 or 20,000 or 30,000)! I bet it costs much less now.

So you can't just say that more points are required for LD routes.

I stand corrected on this point.   Points are worth more on shorter trips but still not on par with cash. Right?

If you book low-bucket, on the shortest coast-to-coast route, points trips are cheaper now than in the past. I just booked BOS-WIH (barely short of PDX) for 27,497 points for next February. It used to be three zones, or 35,000. Of course, I checked Amsnag, then booked early and got the low-bucket roomette ("only one available at this price" :P).

Jennifer

I'm a "little Old Lady in Tennis Shoes" (LOLITS) from Eastern Oregon. I love to travel by train, though I live way out in the toolies, far from the nearest Amtrak station (Chemult). My station would have been Baker City, but they cancelled the Oregon Pioneer just before I took my first long-distance train trip as an adult. I've taken most trains in the West, but I'm still exploring new routes in the east.

#24 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:26 PM

If you book low-bucket, on the shortest coast-to-coast route, points trips are cheaper now than in the past. I just booked BOS-WIH (barely short of PDX) for 27,497 points for next February. It used to be three zones, or 35,000. Of course, I checked Amsnag, then booked early and got the low-bucket roomette ("only one available at this price" :P).

But for the 35,000 points you could have brought a traveling companion along at no additional cost. How does that change the calculus of your coast-to-coast trip?

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#25 oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts
  • Interests:Cross-country skiing, forestry, botany, solar power, gardening and food!

Posted 08 June 2017 - 03:31 PM

But for the 35,000 points you could have brought a traveling companion along at no additional cost. How does that change the calculus of your coast-to-coast trip?

My last trip coast-to-coast was on the old AGR1 system. 35,000 points each way. I first asked Hubby if he wanted to come with me, and he said no, if he did not come, then I could visit my sister as long as I liked without worrying about him being bored. Then I asked my best friend if she would like to come, at least one way, and she said no -- it didn't fit her schedule. I decided that the "me" time was worth more than sharing a roomette with anyone further down my list, so I went alone. Of course, I took the scenic route because it cost no more in points. I got to take the Cardinal, which I could never take if Hub was along, because he won't take a long distance train without a full diner.

Adding a second person to my trip this winter would kick the direct-route points price up to ~35,500 points so yest, it would be slightly more expensive. But a different two-zone trip we want to take some year in December (at low bucket) would come in at 19,113 points (used to be 20,000), for the two of us. For my purposes, AGR 2.0 still works -- but I stick by my original contention that it is not worth buying points, even at a 30% bonus, unless you only need a few for your trip and cannot figure out any way to break the trip out between cash and points.

Jennifer

I'm a "little Old Lady in Tennis Shoes" (LOLITS) from Eastern Oregon. I love to travel by train, though I live way out in the toolies, far from the nearest Amtrak station (Chemult). My station would have been Baker City, but they cancelled the Oregon Pioneer just before I took my first long-distance train trip as an adult. I've taken most trains in the West, but I'm still exploring new routes in the east.

#26 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,936 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 08 June 2017 - 04:08 PM

In my view AGR2 is great at funding short forgettable hops that are easily paid with cash from between sofa cushions rather than funding the bigger more extravagant trips that average people actually fantasize about. Which seems kind of silly and self-defeating in my view, but what do I know? Maybe it's totally worth it to spend far more and earn far less in exchange for lower prices on shorter trips.

We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier. 

#27 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,487 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:30 PM

I decided that the "me" time was worth more than sharing a roomette with anyone further down my list, so I went alone. 

I never heard from ya!!!

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(6) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(6), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58, #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (4), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63, San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422 (2), Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 60,169 miles & 41 states!

HAVE FUN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users