Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Alaska Airlines will start passenger flights from Everett’s Paine Fiel

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,258 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:50 PM

However, if they unilaterally started adding more and more flights with new approach vectors and departure paths it could seriously screw up my sleep schedule, which in turn could screw up my job, which you had better believe is every bit as important to me as your job is to you.

I live under the FAFs for the 16s at SEATAC, so cry me a river. You don't like airplanes, go live somewhere else.
If everyone went and lived somewhere else there would be no reason to have an airport here.

I suppose he lived there long before they built that noisy airport nearby...

If we take the "who was there first" point to its logical conclusion NIMBY's might be able to shut down virtually any airport simply by soliciting some farmers coop or Indian tribe to make a complaint on their behalf. If the airport has a tolerable level of noise when you move there, and makes an intolerable change to the amount of noise decades later, is that not something worthy of being challenged?

I suspect PAE will be folded into the SEA airport code for "all area airports" in the same way that LGB/BUR/SNA are included in LAX searches, and ISP/HPN are included in NYC searches, etc. (This varies by booking engine, of course.) The larger point is that the target audience for these flights will most certainly know how to search for them, and unsuspecting folks may be pleasantly surprised to find it as an option when they type in Seattle. (Or rudely surprised, if they book it by accident.)

Are we seriously comparing Seattle with New York and Los Angeles? SEA already refers to Seattle-Tacoma International specifically and changing a major airport code for everyone just to rope in Paine Field for a tiny minority of travelers makes no sense whatsoever.

You do have somewhat of a valid point...if a drastic change occurred in the noise/activity level of a nearby airport.

On the other hand, if you knowingly moved in near an existing airport, you should have been cognizant of the strong possibility that over time, the level of traffic, be it air or highway, would increase with growth and development.

Personal note...I live just three miles from LGA, under the "Expressway Approach" to Runway 31. Even though there is a vast increase in air traffic since we moved in back in the 50's, the sound level is much quieter now, thanks to modern high bypass fanjets, compared to the window-rattling turbojets of yesteryear.
Having air-conditioning, with windows shut helps too... :)
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#22 fairviewroad

fairviewroad

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:34 PM

By the way, a fun fact is that if scheduled flights are offered at Paine Field, it will give Seattle the unusual distinction of having five airports with scheduled commercial airline service in its metro area. Or at least, five places where you can catch a scheduled (not charter) commercial airline flight, assuming no other changes in the meantime.

1. Seattle-Tacoma International: obviously the "big one" and the only one (for now) with traditional mainline service

2. King County International/Boeing Field: Better known for its role with the Boeing Corporation, this airport offers has scheduled Cessna Grand Caravan flights on Kenmore Air to a few land-based airports in the San Juan Islands. Boeing Field has had scheduled airline service from other airlines in the past, including most recently with the now-defunct SeaPort Airlines, but for a variety of reasons it never stuck.

3. South Lake Union: This is a float-plane terminal that's very close to downtown Seattle and tourist attractions. Kenmore Air has numerous flights from here to the San Juans as well as international flights to Victoria, British Columbia.

4. Lake Washington: This float-plane terminal is at the far northern end of Lake Washington, in the town of Kenmore (from which Kenmore Air got its name). From here, Kenmore operates scheduled service to "Inside Passage" locations in British Columbia. While Kenmore is a small town, the location is closer to downtown Seattle than Everett, so it certainly counts as a Seattle-area "airport."

5. Paine Field in Everett:  TBD

Obviously, airports number 2, 3 and 4 offer niche service only. Still, it's pretty amazing that there are four, and possibly soon-to-be five, places to catch a scheduled airline flight in the Seattle area. Not many cities can make that claim.

#23 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 01:50 PM

Of those five, I've heard of one:  SEA-TAC.  I'm going to look into Kenmore Air, though.

#24 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:50 PM

Of those five, I've heard of one:  SEA-TAC.  I'm going to look into Kenmore Air, though.

I was considering it for our Railfan Madness Part II trip last year based upon the enthusiastic recommendation of a tour agency...until I read the fine print in their baggage policy. The three of us were on a two-week trip...the excess baggage fees would have been more than our tickets!

Looks like it still might be a good choice for a day trip, however.

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#25 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,246 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 30 May 2017 - 03:20 PM

The three of us were on a two-week trip...the excess baggage fees would have been more than our tickets!

That seems to be how most airlines operate these days. Cheap seats, relative to inflation anyway, but every little finger they (or anyone) lifts can incur a substantial surcharge. Add more than a couple "upgrades" to a cheap ticket and you could be paying through the nose for the privilege. That being said, if the aircraft in question is substantially smaller than a B731 or A319 they may have a legitimate reason for being wary of carrying too much luggage.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 30 May 2017 - 03:27 PM.

I used to be with ‘it,’ but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it,’ and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

#26 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 04:37 PM

The airplane, If I Remember Correctly, was a single-engine Cessna Caravan with floats. Legitimate reason, IMO...but not enough to warrant paying the freight when the high-speed Clipper ferry was also an option.

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users