Getting to WAS from Lancaster Pa -- what would you do?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erinch13

Train Attendant
We are taking the CL to CHI on June 29, and then on to ABQ on the SWC on the 30th. 3 week trip.

We can either take the Keystone to Philly, and then on to WAS on a Regional or an Acela -- which is ideal if trains are running on time.

Or we can rent a car and drive it one way to a metro location and take the metro to Union Station DC, or drive it all the way to Union station, which guarantees the train connection.

What would you do?

I'd just take the Keystone to PHL, and a Regional to WAS unless the cost of the Acela is very close to that of the Regional. The Acela is a nicer train that runs has a slightly faster schedule, but in my opinion, not worth the extra fare (particularly for more than one).

I don't doubt that you could drive from Lancaster to Washington faster than Amtrak can get you there, but I'd rather sit, relax, and look forward to the trip to New Mexico.

The trains from LNC to WAS are frequent and do run on time. I've done this trip many times on the Keystone to Philly, and have used both NER and Acela to wAS. I'd save on the cost of Acela and just use the regional (unless you really want the experience).

Are you planning to spend time in DC? Otherwise, you could just take the Pennsylvanian from LNC to PGH. Although it's not ideal, I actually like spending the few hours (four) there in the evening to get dinner before the midnight ride to CHI, and it's a nice ride through western PA.

Sounds like an amazing trip! Enjoy.

The Keystone is unreserved for the leg you need so hopefully it will be fairly straightforward. Now will Amtrak put someone on the next NEC train if they miss the reserved one?

Nice trip!

Last edited by a moderator:
Another option to consider is to take a Keystone from LNC to NYP (a direct train) to connect to the LSL to CHI.
I like the LSL over the CL (but that's only because of the nightmare delay/long line at WAS). It's a little out of the way but you save a transfer. On the way back you'd have to go CL-WAS-PHL-LNC because the LSL arrives in NYP too late.

"Getting to WAS from Lancaster Pa -- what would you do?"

Hold my breath, stamp my feet, and post endlessly on the one and only topic that matters in the universe, until Amtrak righted the wrong done centuries (okay, Decades) ago and gives me what I demand - a one-seat ride to Chicago.

;)

If you rent a car, you don't need to drive it to a Metro location. Budget, Alamo, Avis, and Hertz all have rental facilities at Union Station in DC. Of course, driving in downtown Washington, even in the middle of the afternoon, is not for the faint-hearted!

Actually, I'm not sure what Metro Stations on the north side of DC have rental car agencies nearby. I guess if you use Enterprise, they'd drive you over to the nearest Metro station.

If you do the Keystone regularly to PHL, you might want to consider the Pennsylvanian to Pittsburgh and the CL from there, as was suggested above. Otherwise, the Keystone to Philly is also a lovely ride, and PHL is a lovely station to wait for a connecting train.

I think I would avoid anything to do with New York right now, til the repairs are done. You are likely to run into NJT and other commuters all upset because their trains are delayed and just an unpleasant atmosphere in general.

Absolutely do not drive to DC! I lived there for many years and was so thankful when the metro was built (it was brand new and fancy then) and I could get rid of my car--it is a nightmare to drive there, and especially around that awful Beltway.

"Getting to WAS from Lancaster Pa -- what would you do?"

Hold my breath, stamp my feet, and post endlessly on the one and only topic that matters in the universe, until Amtrak righted the wrong done centuries (okay, Decades) ago and gives me what I demand - a one-seat ride to Chicago.

;)
Gee, maybe I should post endlessly about the lack of a one-seat ride from the fourth largest city in the nation to anywhere except New Orleans, San Antonio, El Paso, Tucson or Los Angeles. . .and then only three days a week!

Ah, but if you board the other end of the train you have a one-seat ride to Austin, Dallas/Fort Worth, St. Louis, and Chicago. There, don't you feel better now?

Ah, but if you board the other end of the train you have a one-seat ride to Austin, Dallas/Fort Worth, St. Louis, and Chicago. There, don't you feel better now?
What city do you think he is referring to? Maybe Phoenix? The fourth largest city is Houston which is east of the Texas Eagle split off point in San Antonio, so therefore does not have direct service to the cities you mentioned.

I actually would drive from Lancaster to Martinsburg and avoid what a certain member likes to call Sodom On The Potomac entirely.

OK my two cents. I would drive from Lancaster to BWI its only 95 miles. have done this numerous times,

A short two hour trip and then catch MARC or Amtrak to WAS Union Station.

OK my two cents. I would drive from Lancaster to BWI its only 95 miles. have done this numerous times,

A short two hour trip and then catch MARC or Amtrak to WAS Union Station.
Just one thing: There is no direct shuttle bus service from the BWI car rental center to the BWI train station. You have to take the shuttle bus to the airport terminal and then take a shuttle bus to the train station. Make sure to factor in enough time for the 2-bus transfer.

Also, most of the MARC trains have inadequate luggage storage on-board, unless you get the old single-level cars. Thus, it's not a bad idea to spring for a ride on the Amtrak Northeast Regional, even if it costs north of $15. I'm not sure of the MARC fare, but the Baltimore-Washington fare is $8, so a BWI to Washington ticket must be less.

If one has the time and money to take a train from the east coast to Albuquerque, then it likely wouldn't be an issue for them to add a train or two in the beginning rather than drive. It is far more comfortable and relaxing than having to drive. However, if time is of the essence, then I would recommend taking the Pennsylvanian to Pittsburgh and transferring there rather than driving to a location along the CL.

I leave from NYP. and the LSL usually works well, but very often, using the CL is somewhat less expensive for accommodations.Sometimes the difference is too much to pass on.
I agree with this. It's happened to me.

We are on the CL from WAS because it leaves in the afternoon which is much better than picking it up in Pittsburgh in terms of departure time. So the CL/SWC is booked.

Option is getting to WAS that I am

if there are glitches getting out of Philly that we might miss the connection. But driving to Union Station is a bear. If trains are delayed that day. The BWI idea is a good one.

Back