amtrak conductor shot at Naperville

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikefromCrete

Engineer
WGN-TV, Chicago, is reporting that an Amtrak conductor has been shot at Naperville. Station's helicopter shows a Superliner train on eastbound track stopped at the station. All Metra BNSF commuter trains have been stopped. No other details available.

A passenger on board the Amtrak train called into WGN and said she saw a person in an Amtrak uniform being taken away on a stretcher. She said the train had stopped at Naperville and soon a plea was heard over the intercom asking for medical assistance outside the train. Police seem to have arrived almost immediately.

The local ABC affiliate in Chi town mistakenly said the train was headed to Milwaukee.

According to their report the Conductor is ok and being treated for a gunshot wound to the stomach.

The local ABC affiliate in Chi town mistakenly said the train was headed to Milwaukee.

According to their report the Conductor is ok and being treated for a gunshot wound to the stomach.
Acela, if I ever get shot in the stomach and get hauled off to the emergency room, even if I am in stable condition, I am most definitely not "OK"! ;-)

Tongue firmly in cheek.

Seriously, though, I know that we all are happy to hear it isn't any worse than it is.

Haha! Everytime the media says that the Victim is "ok" after being shot. I have similar thoughts. But according to the news report, the Conductor was talking with EMS and Police about the situation.

I'll put it this way, if I'm in stable condition, and wasn't close to death, I'll settle for "ok". :)

Could this be why service out of CHI has made departing trains late? Noticed both 30 & 370 are over an hour late. Looks like they departed on time but something seriously slowed them down.

The latest news reports say a 70-year-old passenger from Wisconsin shot the conductor through a window. Other passengers tackled the guy and held him for police. Don't know the motivation, perhaps some kind of argument with the conductor?

The latest news reports say a 70-year-old passenger from Wisconsin shot the conductor through a window. Other passengers tackled the guy and held him for police. Don't know the motivation, perhaps some kind of argument with the conductor?
What the...

All Chicago 10 PM newscasts led with the story. As Mike said the passenger was in his 70's (one report said 79) and shot through the window, the motive is unknown.

I would tend to doubt an argument with the conductor because that probably would have been observed by nearby passengers, and eye witnesses are not reporting any argument with the conductor and the shooter.

The train was 2 hours late, held for 4 hours in Naperville, and has arrived in Chicago, where other trains were being held so PAX could make their connections--so said the TV news reporters.

Last edited by a moderator:
What the...
You're not the only one who had that reaction.. The windows are bulletproof. Made of Lexan IINM. What is possible, is that the shooter opened the window in the door? But yeah I'm stumped.

Somehow I doubt that the government will start profiling 70-somethings from Wisconsin as dangerous potential shooters, the way they do when a single shooter is from certain other demographic groups.

What the...
You're not the only one who had that reaction.. The windows are bulletproof. Made of Lexan IINM. What is possible, is that the shooter opened the window in the door? But yeah I'm stumped.
The passenger car Lexan (or equal) windows are shatter proof, but not bullet proof.

The Tribune reporter was interviewing folks from Kokomo IN. I think he meant to say THEY were on their way to Chicago and then to Indianapolis, not the train!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back