Need exchange voucher and ALX ticket station advice

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be in Virginia in a few days and needed to get two train tickets, one ALX to FBG, the other FBG to PHL.

I was at TRE this morning on my commute and used an exchange voucher to get the first one, but the agent wasn't sure of the procedure. She only gave me one paper item instead of two, and I think she may have given me the receipt but not the actual ticket. (It's been a while since I've done this, and I forget what the bottom of the paper ticket should say.)

I don't want to try for the second ticket at TRE or approach them to say they might have made an error, especially since it might be me, not them. ALX is the only place I will be with a station--will they be able to confirm that the first one is (or isn't) a ticket and deal with my exchange voucher for the second one? (I'll be there on a Saturday--not sure if the ticket window has full service that day?)

Thanks in advance for the good advice!

Does the paper have a reservation # on it?

If you don't have a physical ticket the conductor can pull up your ticket using your name.

Yes, the paper does have a reservation number on it, both on the tear-off piece on the right side and on the main long rectangular part. And looking at it more closely, I believe it is a real ticket--just hadn't seen one done with a voucher for a while, and forgot what they looked like. I also forgot the conductor can pull up the reservation, which does make life less stressful. (See, even I agree technology is good for something! :) )

If your reservation will show up in an app, it will also show up in the My Account section on amtrak.com. So an easy way to check to see if that is the case is to use your favorite device and go to https://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak/Reservations, look under "Current Reservations" and hit the 'Show current reservations' link. Since the linkage between AGR and amtrak.com, if your AGR number was attached to the reservation/s, it should show in the list. You can also use the "Send Travel Doc" yellow oval button at the top of the page for eligible reservations to send/resend an eTicket to the e-mail address of your choosing.

Unfortunately, I don't believe the "Vouchers" section works the same way, as most vouchers need to have an e-mail address attached which is also the same one associated with your AGR/amtrak.com account. (Which is also to say that hardcopy vouchers could be issued which wouldn't show up online.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks--I'm pretty sure what I have is a real ticket (I got thrown by the Amtrak agent at TRE not having done it before--she kept saying things like "This doesn't look right," "This doesn't look like a regular ticket," etc. But one of the veteran agents I know who is very good was helping her, so it should be fine. I will double-check it with a real person at ALX just to be sure (probably will walk up to the station Saturday to do some trainspotting anyway).

Back