Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Emp Serv to GCT, LSL NYP Suspended, Other NYP Changes 2018

• Please log in to reply
457 replies to this topic

#41 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,303 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:43 PM

Why is transferring in Albany such an unbearable burden that passengers should instead be encouraged to transfer in Washington?

Nothing. It’s completely nonsensical.

Trogdor is the voice of reason, as always.
  • BuffaloBoy likes this
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#42 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:44 PM

Chicago is a much bigger destination than Atlanta/New Orleans. It is also a feeder to anywhere west of Chicago, California, Texas, Denver, etc. You are also including Cleveland, and Toledo.

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL), Texas Eagle (CHI-DAL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#43 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:47 PM

This is for a limited time to allow for needed work at Penn Station and other locations. New York bound passengers will change trains at Albany. It will all work out. Running through cars on the Pennsylvanian/Capitol Limited is a good idea, but there has been absolutely no progress on the switch needed in Pittsburgh, so I think Amtrak has no interest in ever doing the work, so that will not never happen. I highly doubt if a large number of people will do the long route to Chicago via the Cardinal. Most passengers will go to GCT, get on a train and then transfer at Albany. When the work is done, the LSL will resume its regular route and life will go on. 

#44 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:52 PM

This is for a limited time to allow for needed work at Penn Station and other locations. New York bound passengers will change trains at Albany. It will all work out. Running through cars on the Pennsylvanian/Capitol Limited is a good idea, but there has been absolutely no progress on the switch needed in Pittsburgh, so I think Amtrak has no interest in ever doing the work, so that will not never happen. I highly doubt if a large number of people will do the long route to Chicago via the Cardinal. Most passengers will go to GCT, get on a train and then transfer at Albany. When the work is done, the LSL will resume its regular route and life will go on. 

How do you handle people with their carry bags on plus two regular size baggage pieces?   

#45 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,296 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 07:09 PM

How do you handle people with their carry bags on plus two regular size baggage pieces?   

Strap them together.  Use a foldaway cart, red caps.  Or just pack less stuff.  Should they not do track work just so people aren't inconvenienced?

Edit:  Or ship your big bags to your destination.

Edited by AmtrakBlue, 01 March 2018 - 07:12 PM.

#46 BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Warbirds and Automobiles.
    Computer Technology.
    Electric Blues

Posted 01 March 2018 - 07:31 PM

Strap them together.  Use a foldaway cart, red caps.  Or just pack less stuff.  Should they not do track work just so people aren't inconvenienced?

I travel often to Texas and Virginia for extended stays and always ship a big box ahead of me to avoid lugging a big bag. So easy!

#47 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 07:41 PM

Considering the volume of passengers this is affecting and the fact that Amtrak can operate trains between ALB and Grand Central, they may very well add a baggage car on the connecting train from Albany to New York, much like what was done with the Crescent last year.
Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SEA-LAX, CZ CHI-RIC, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB SEA-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS/NYP-CHI, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-CLT, SM ORL-NYP, SS MIA-NYP

#48 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:28 PM

They do need to do the track work. No argument there but my point is that Amtrak only allows two SMALL pieces of carry on luggage on regional connecting trains.. I am not saying that the track work should not be done only that the LSL be moved to GCT.  That's a big station. Surely there must a a track open at 3:45 in the afternoon.  The original New York Central train that ran the water level (LSL) route departed from there. It was called the 20th Century Ltd.  Seems better than taking two trains.

#49 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:47 PM

You can carry on 2 small personal items AND 2 pieces of luggage. Just like passengers do on trains and at stations without checked baggage service.

• Ryan and AmtrakBlue like this

#50 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,296 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:15 PM

They do need to do the track work. No argument there but my point is that Amtrak only allows two SMALL pieces of carry on luggage on regional connecting trains.. I am not saying that the track work should not be done only that the LSL be moved to GCT.  That's a big station. Surely there must a a track open at 3:45 in the afternoon.  The original New York Central train that ran the water level (LSL) route departed from there. It was called the 20th Century Ltd.  Seems better than taking two trains.

I'm pretty sure I had my 28" bag on a regional once and definitely had my 22" one several times. Plus my overnight bag and a backpack.  There's room at one end of the car where you can put your big bags...if there's no one with a wheelchair that needs to be there.  There's also a small section dedicated to holding bigger bags.

And did you not see Jis' and others say that they can't get the train from GCT to Sunnyside to clean and restock the train?  

#51 PaTrainFan

PaTrainFan

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Travel, especially by train, Canada, college sports, baseball and apple pie.

Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:21 PM

Wouldn't it have been nice if the work planned for Pittsburgh had been performed allowing cars to be efficiently transferred to and from the Pennsylvanian and the Capitol Limited. Amtrak could have rerouted the Lake Shore via Philadelphia and Pittsburgh on the schedule of the Pennsylvanian and, between PGH and CHI on the back of the Capitol with no host railroad impact and minimal Amtrak cost impact.  

What is the "work planned at Pittsburgh?"

Edited by PaTrainFan, 01 March 2018 - 09:21 PM.

#52 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:08 PM

Wouldn't it have been nice if the work planned for Pittsburgh had been performed allowing cars to be efficiently transferred to and from the Pennsylvanian and the Capitol Limited. Amtrak could have rerouted the Lake Shore via Philadelphia and Pittsburgh on the schedule of the Pennsylvanian and, between PGH and CHI on the back of the Capitol with no host railroad impact and minimal Amtrak cost impact.  

What is the "work planned at Pittsburgh?"

A Performance Improvement Plan prepared for the Capitol Limited included a proposal to add cars to the Pennsylvanian that would be attached to the Capitol Limited at Pittsburgh and continue on to Chicago.  In order to do that without having a switcher and crew at Pittsburgh, an existing stub-end track at Pittsburgh station would have to be connected to the westbound through track with a new switch.  This work would be done by Norfolk Southern and paid by Amtrak.  For whatever reason, the work was not done, and the through car proposal died.

#53 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,303 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:37 PM

The same way you handle it now from your front door to the train station. It’s not like the difference in trains makes you carry *more* stuff.
  • AmtrakBlue likes this
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#54 Manny T

Manny T

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 11:35 PM

The LSL has had a 1 hour+ layover in ALB. Virtually all of the trips I've taken, there is a Regional in the Albany station when the LSL is there laying over, heading to NYC. I've always thought about jumping on that Regional and beating the LSL to Penn Station. Now it looks like that will happen. Long story short--transferring from LSL to a Regional heading to NYC at ALB is a nothingburger (questions of luggage aside. Pack accordingly?)

• Ryan and Eric S like this

#55 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:41 AM

NO ONE is arguing that the track work at NYP should not be done just because of the LSL. What we are saying is that the LSL carries a ton of people from a huge metropolis to another quite big metropolis, where many people have to connect to get to many western cities. This adds in another transfer. People still have to get to GCT, and then transfer in ALB, and many AGAIN in CHI.

Edited by cpotisch, 02 March 2018 - 08:45 AM.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#56 Hotblack Desiato

Hotblack Desiato

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:45 AM

NO ONE is arguing that the track work at NYP should not be done just because of the LSL. What we are saying is that the LSL carries a ton of people from a huge metropolis to another quite big metropolis, where many people have to connect to get to many western cities. This adds in another transfer, people still have to get to GCT, and then transfer in ALB, and AGAIN in CHI.
Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Indeed they will.

So what?
  • Ryan, Triley and AmtrakBlue like this

#57 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:50 AM

NO ONE is arguing that the track work at NYP should not be done just because of the LSL. What we are saying is that the LSL carries a ton of people from a huge metropolis to another quite big metropolis, where many people have to connect to get to many western cities. This adds in another transfer, people still have to get to GCT, and then transfer in ALB, and AGAIN in CHI.

Indeed they will.

So what?
The answer to your question is in that post.
Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#58 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:54 AM

Question: is Sunnyside completely inaccessible to Grand Central, or just impractical to get to?

#59 CCC1007

CCC1007

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:01 AM

Question: is Sunnyside completely inaccessible to Grand Central, or just impractical to get to?

Take a look at NYC’s existing railroad routes and try to find a routing that doesn’t need a train to turn around enroute to the yard.

Edit to add that this is an artifact from the old New York Central and Pennsylvania Railroad rivalry.

Edited by CCC1007, 02 March 2018 - 09:03 AM.

#60 RPC

RPC

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:09 AM

"Impractical" is putting it mildly. You'd have to haul the train from GCT up to New Rochelle, then back in across the Hell Gate bridge. Alternatively, I suppose you could also do the shuffle occasionally used when the West Side Connector is closed (along the shore of the East River), but I suspect that's even more convoluted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users