Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Emp Serv to GCT, LSL NYP Suspended, Other NYP Changes 2018

• Please log in to reply
466 replies to this topic

#461 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:50 PM

19 track is completed. Here is the latest, public progress report.

https://media.amtrak...ort-7_20_18.pdf

Interesting...could you explain what that line about:   

"Replace and lower 645 feet of the track infrastructure between the Empire Tunnel and the 157/159"   is about? :unsure:

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#462 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,716 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 04 August 2018 - 09:29 AM

Here is a report on the recent developments at the Spuyten Duyvil Bridge

http://abc7ny.com/tr...epairs/3861837/

#463 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 10:31 AM

"Replace and lower 645 feet of the track infrastructure between the Empire Tunnel and the 157/159"   is about? :unsure:

I believe that is to help with the Empire Access plan. There is a plan to alter an overhead bridge support to allow a ladder to reach from the Empire Connection to (I believe ) 13 track. Currently, you can only go as high as 9tk.   To accomplish this, they have to lower the track from the Empire tunnel to allow it to meet with the tracks that are rising from the North tube so they may join earlier.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#464 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,716 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 11:07 AM

I believe that is to help with the Empire Access plan. There is a plan to alter an overhead bridge support to allow a ladder to reach from the Empire Connection to (I believe ) 13 track. Currently, you can only go as high as 9tk.   To accomplish this, they have to lower the track from the Empire tunnel to allow it to meet with the tracks that are rising from the North tube so they may join earlier.

I thought the plan was to extend the easternmost ladder track in the A interlocking that connects to the higher tracks, across two tracks to connect to the Empire Connection. If that is done, you'd get access all the way upto track 18 or so. Has that changed?

Looking at the track diagram of A interlocking,  am at a loss as to where they would put a special crossover to connect only upto track 13.

• PVD likes this

#465 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 11:41 AM

That is what I believe was supposed to happen. However, I think they have amended the plan and you'll only be able to reach 13tk via the crossover on 12tk.  This is was as of last month but it is hardly something I keep track of.

I can reach out to a key person and find out though. It's too bad. We were just at a retirement a few days ago. I could have asked him.

• jis likes this

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#466 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 04 August 2018 - 12:11 PM

Is it possible that they would have to cut out some of the longer platform ends to reach the higher numbered tracks?   Can't remember the layout that well....

But thanks guy's, for the explanation....I had some weird imagination of them trying to increase the clearance on the Empire Line to allow higher cars, but that doesn't make any sense... :)

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#467 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,716 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 01:18 PM

Right, so the high cars could come into Penn Station and then get the roofs roasted and eventually become Cabriolets :giggle:

Edited by jis, 04 August 2018 - 01:18 PM.

• railiner likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users