Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Emp Serv to GCT, LSL NYP Suspended, Other NYP Changes 2018

• Please log in to reply
466 replies to this topic

#441 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,248 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 09:59 AM

NEC to CL is pretty good, just not one seat.

#442 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 11:03 PM

This will aid inspections and leave a protect set.

Empire Service Train 64 Cross-Platform Transfer in Albany

Empire Service Train 64 Cross-Platform Transfer in Albany
Effective May 26 through September 3, 2018

Due to ongoing infrastructure renewal work in and around New York Penn Station, all Empire trains originating and terminating in New York will operate from/to Grand Central Terminal starting May 26. Trains 63 and 69 will operate from Penn Station on May 26 and begin operation from Grand Central Terminal on May 27.

Eastbound Maple Leaf Train 64 will require a daily cross-platform transfer at Albany. Passengers will be required to bring their belongings and walk across the platform to board an adjacent train that will continue to New York. Amtrak employees will be available to help passengers with the transfer, if needed.
Business Class Service Suspended

Trains 63, 64, 238, 245 and 261 will not offer Business Class service from May 26 through September 3. Business Class will resume on Train 64, September 5.

PSN 0518-121

Edited by Thirdrail7, 27 May 2018 - 11:05 PM.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#443 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 28 May 2018 - 11:39 AM

An Empire Service train with a MARC cab car at Harlem 125th a couple days ago:

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#444 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:08 PM

Click on the link to see a brief video and pictures of the movable portion of the Spuyten Duyvil bridge being lifted and moved by the worlds largest floating crane.

Video: Amtrak uses massive crane to move railroad bridge

NEW YORK — Amtrak workers used one of the world's largest floating cranes Thursday to move the bridge that provides train access between upstate New York and New York Penn Station.

The passenger railroad service is upgrading the Spuyten Duyvil Bridge, which is a railroad swing bridge that spans the Spuyten Duyvil Creek between Manhattan and the Bronx.

#445 Dutchrailnut

Dutchrailnut

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  • Interests:Ships, Planes, Trains

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:34 PM

GCT has no option to dump and service toilets , would you ride a train that has 16 hours of **** in it already?

sending train to sunnyside would require several hours , and at least two crews plus a mn pilot crew.

#446 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 26 June 2018 - 12:28 AM

GCT has no option to dump and service toilets , would you ride a train that has 16 hours of **** in it already?
sending train to sunnyside would require several hours , and at least two crews plus a mn pilot crew.

ALB shop has the ability to do it. If the train is lingering like it normally would just dump half going one way and half the other.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#447 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 09:57 AM

They empty the tanks in Albany and Chicago. Albany is only a few hours down the line, so it's not a big deal.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#448 Dutchrailnut

Dutchrailnut

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  • Interests:Ships, Planes, Trains

Posted 26 June 2018 - 07:59 PM

do they dump them in Albany in station ? cause LSL is not going into yard in Albany.

#449 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,514 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 26 June 2018 - 08:57 PM

That would be something! Honey Wagons running helter skelter all over crowded platforms trying to do their thing ASAP
  • daybeers likes this

#450 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:01 PM

The P32s are all modified. The cab cars are returning to MARC.

#451 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:12 AM

The P32s are all modified. The cab cars are returning to MARC.

Darn it! I was hoping to see one of those weird consists, in person.  :(

• Bedford likes this

#452 daybeers

daybeers

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Interests:Music, Singing, Computers, Stained Glass, Photography, Traveling, Running, Wikipedia

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:37 PM

Here are a couple videos of the MARC cab cars traveling southbound on the Springfield Line:

• cpotisch likes this

Amtrak travel so far: only 11,218 miles: Springfield Shuttle (13), Northeast Regional (28), Acela (1), Lake Shore Limited (2), Pennsylvanian (2), Capitol Limited (1)

Ambus mileage (3 trips): 108

Other rail transit: WMATA (~900 miles), Metro-North, MTA, MBTA (Subway and Commuter Rail), Metra, CTA, RTA

#453 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:43 AM

Here are a couple videos of the MARC cab cars traveling southbound on the Springfield Line:

Wait, why did they have a P42 in the front and a Dash 8 in the rear, with both of them running reverse? Literally every car in that train is a cab car, and they've got locomotives on both ends, but they chose to run the Dash 8 in the front, running in reverse with limited visibility? I know there's gotta be some reason for that, but it just strikes me as the dumbest consist choice I've ever seen.

#454 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,514 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:05 AM

You should apply for an Amtrak operations job and set ‘em straight
  • cpotisch likes this

#455 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:17 AM

You should apply for an Amtrak operations job and set ‘em straight

:giggle:

#456 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:56 PM

It's the railroad it's not supposed to make sense. If it makes sense you haven't been doing it long enough.
  • cpotisch likes this
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#457 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:56 PM

Wait, why did they have a P42 in the front and a Dash 8 in the rear, with both of them running reverse? Literally every car in that train is a cab car, and they've got locomotives on both ends, but they chose to run the Dash 8 in the front, running in reverse with limited visibility? I know there's gotta be some reason for that, but it just strikes me as the dumbest consist choice I've ever seen.

If I was the engineer on a route with lots of grade crossing accident potential....I think I would  prefer to operate with the long hood forward.... ;)

• Ryan, Seaboard92 and cpotisch like this
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#458 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:14 PM

It probably has to do with the fact that the 514 was one of the only diesels that was in the area to assist with the various moves this train is going to be involved in and that was the way it was pointed when it arrived. That is why the P-32s are used in work train service. They can run either direction if necessary.

• cpotisch likes this

#459 John Bobinyec

John Bobinyec

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 10:05 AM

How's the Penn station and other work, which forced the trains to Grand Central Terminal, coming along?  Will all of the trains revert back to Penn station on September 4?

jb

LDS Been On:

Old: Phoebe Snow (EL), Montrealer (AT), Laurentian (D&H)

RBBB: St. Petersburg - W. Palm Beach, Lakeland - Atlanta, Baltimore - NYC, Rochester, NY - Hartford, Albuquerque - Salt Lake City, Denver - Chicago

Modern: Ocean (VIA), Silver Star, Capitol Limited, Texas Eagle, Autotrain, Carolinian, Southwest Chief, California Zephyr, Lake Shore Limited

#460 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:06 AM

19 track is completed. Here is the latest, public progress report.

https://media.amtrak...ort-7_20_18.pdf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users