Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Emp Serv to GCT, LSL NYP Suspended, Other NYP Changes 2018

• Please log in to reply
466 replies to this topic

#381 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,211 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:47 PM

You will need additional equipment for these moves.  They'll likely have to swap AM-2s for AM-1s and as someone mentioned, you'll may need some sort of protection for a late arriving 48.

How hard, time consuming, or expensive would it be to add push-pull wiring to the affected AM-IIs?

Edited by cpotisch, 16 April 2018 - 10:48 PM.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#382 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 04:33 AM

You will need additional equipment for these moves.  They'll likely have to swap AM-2s for AM-1s and as someone mentioned, you'll may need some sort of protection for a late arriving 48.

How hard, time consuming, or expensive would it be to add push-pull wiring to the affected AM-IIs?
Even if they had the wiring, at a time with such limited capacity it may make sense to use Amfleet Is anyway since they can hold more people.

Edited by brianpmcdonnell17, 17 April 2018 - 09:32 AM.

Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SEA-LAX, CZ CHI-RIC, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB SEA-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS/NYP-CHI, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-CLT, SM ORL-NYP, SS MIA-NYP

#383 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:15 AM

235 doesn't run weekends, it is a Mo-Fri train The EA (295) runs its schedule on Sa-Su until Albany, before it heads to Rutland...

What happens when 48 is running a couple of hours late?   

#384 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:33 AM

Even if they had the wiring, at a time with such limited capacity it may make sense to use Amfleet Is anyway since they can hold more people.

But don't the Empire trains generally run (as was mentioned) with plenty of seats available? So putting aside the push-pull issues, I would be surprised if the lower capacity of AM-IIs makes much of a difference.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#385 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:36 AM

So just so I understand, the likely plan is to have a MARC or ex-Metroliner cab on one end of the trains, and a P32 with an FL9 or cab car in front at the other end? So that they can run the train from both ends and escape in the event of an emergency? If that's the case, that'll be some consist.  :blink:

#386 keelhauled

keelhauled

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:00 AM

I had heard that the FL9 plan fell through and Amtrak is contemplating chopping holes in the front of their P32s.

We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works.

#387 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:25 AM

The FL9s did fall thru band stay tuned folks plenty of interesting discussions coming.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#388 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:54 PM

That's a shame. Would have loved to be able to look at the FL9s a few times this summer. I gotta say, I find rundown 20 year old GEs with the front cut open a lot less cool than a 60 year old F-unit.  :wacko:

#389 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 02:26 PM

I had heard that the FL9 plan fell through and Amtrak is contemplating chopping holes in the front of their P32s.

The FL9s did fall thru band stay tuned folks plenty of interesting discussions coming.

You guys are a week late to the party :P :

NYC is doomed for another ‘Summer of Hell’

Amtrak on Tuesday announced a massive, multimillion-dollar repair project scheduled for this summer that will force changes on several commuter lines.

“Critical reconstruction” work will be performed on the Empire Tunnel, Spuyten Duyvil Bridge and Track 19 in New York Penn Station, Amtrak said.

As a result, Empire Service, Ethan Allen Express, Adirondack and Maple Leaf trains will be rerouted from New York Penn Station to Grand Central Terminal between May 26 and Sept. 4.

The Lake Shore Limited will only run between Boston and Chicago, with New York City and Hudson Valley travelers connecting from Empire Service trains at Albany-Rensselaer.

The repairs will cost between $45 million and $50 million.

“While the schedules have yet to be finalized, there will be fewer service impacts and schedule changes compared to Summer 2017,” Amtrak said, referring to the eight weeks of repairs that sparked a “Summer of Hell” at Penn Station.

Time is ticking and there are still issues with the GCT plan. We'll see how this turns out. Who knows? Maybe, they'll cut doors in the noses of the P32s before this is all over.

I believe one is almost (if not entirely) completed. Things with the MARC cars have also taken a weird turn.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#390 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 17 April 2018 - 02:29 PM

You guys are a week late to the party :P :

Amtrak on Tuesday announced a massive, multimillion-dollar repair project scheduled for this summer that will force changes on several commuter lines.
“Critical reconstruction” work will be performed on the Empire Tunnel, Spuyten Duyvil Bridge and Track 19 in New York Penn Station, Amtrak said.As a result, Empire Service, Ethan Allen Express, Adirondack and Maple Leaf trains will be rerouted from New York Penn Station to Grand Central Terminal between May 26 and Sept. 4.

The Lake Shore Limited will only run between Boston and Chicago, with New York City and Hudson Valley travelers connecting from Empire Service trains at Albany-Rensselaer.The repairs will cost between $45 million and $50 million.

“While the schedules have yet to be finalized, there will be fewer service impacts and schedule changes compared to Summer 2017,” Amtrak said, referring to the eight weeks of repairs that sparked a “Summer of Hell” at Penn Station.

Time is ticking and there are still issues with the GCT plan. We'll see how this turns out. Who knows? Maybe, they'll cut doors in the noses of the P32s before this is all over.

I believe one is almost (if not entirely) completed. Things with the MARC cars have also taken a weird turn.

If that isn't the truth. I'll probably come up to work one of those runs if Amtrak approves our move request. Of which I strongly doubt.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#391 kdeschner

kdeschner

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 04:50 PM

That's a shame. Would have loved to be able to look at the FL9s a few times this summer. I gotta say, I find rundown 20 year old GEs with the front cut open a lot less cool than a 60 year old F-unit.  :wacko:

I would agree with you on that!

• cpotisch likes this
Routes Traveled:City Of New OrleansLake Shore LimitedSaluki, Maple LeafEmpire Builder, Lincoln Service
Next Trip Planned: Texas Eagle  Sleeper (Chicago - St. Louis)
Lincoln Service - Business Class (St Louis - Chicago)

#392 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 05:30 PM

Actually, depending on which P32s get the nose job, some of them have been off to the paint shop for the "Empire Service" livery, and don't look half bad. Not sure how many have been completed.

#393 lonewolfette9847

lonewolfette9847

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:57 PM

“Critical reconstruction” work will be performed on the Empire Tunnel, Spuyten Duyvil Bridge and Track 19 in New York Penn Station, Amtrak said.As a result, Empire Service, Ethan Allen Express, Adirondack and Maple Leaf trains will be rerouted from New York Penn Station to Grand Central Terminal between May 26 and Sept. 4.

The Lake Shore Limited will only run between Boston and Chicago, with New York City and Hudson Valley travelers connecting from Empire Service trains at Albany-Rensselaer.
The repairs will cost between $45 million and $50 million.

So basically anyone making a connection in NY & coming into NYPenn that needs one of the GCT rerouted trains has to find their own way from NYP to GCT?

I had this scenario on May 30 but couldn't get a straight answer from Amtrak so I moved my travel earlier one week. It's my vacation & I don't want a headache like that when I'm trying to get away from the headaches at work.

Just when they got all the answers, I change the questions! - Roddy Piper

#394 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:25 PM

So basically anyone making a connection in NY & coming into NYPenn that needs one of the GCT rerouted trains has to find their own way from NYP to GCT?

ce1ac795c4c5654754acccb9bd1dceb2.jpg

• lonewolfette9847 likes this

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#395 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,687 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:27 PM

Yep, about a 10 minute walk.
Pre Amtrak: SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr; Amtrak: Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-ORL), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited (NY Section), Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Crescent, Acela Express, Lake Shore Limited (Boston Section)
Via Rail Canada: Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal); 
Other: BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Alaska Railroad, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

#396 lonewolfette9847

lonewolfette9847

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:27 PM

ce1ac795c4c5654754acccb9bd1dceb2.jpg

Love it!  Yeah... glad I changed my timing.  Thank you for clarifying that.

Just when they got all the answers, I change the questions! - Roddy Piper

#397 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 05:16 AM

I had this scenario on May 30 but couldn't get a straight answer from Amtrak so I moved my travel earlier one week. It's my vacation & I don't want a headache like that when I'm trying to get away from the headaches at work.

You're probably better off CL to WAS. It sucks but it's the lesser of the two evils. Welcome to what it's like being in Philly all the time.

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL), Texas Eagle (CHI-DAL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#398 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 06:29 AM

Yep, about a 10 minute walk.

I don't think so.  I've done it a few times when I lived in Manhattan.  More like 20-25.  The subway is even slower than 10 minutes.

• TFrankMac likes this

#399 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,450 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 18 April 2018 - 06:45 AM

Welcome to what it's like being in Philly all the time.

All of Amtrak’s trains stop in the same station in Philly, so a cross town self transfer is nothing like what it’s like being in Philly.
  • AmtrakBlue, jebr, Seaboard92 and 1 other like this
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#400 kdeschner

kdeschner

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:29 AM

I just hope I can have eggs and bacon on the lsl this summer....
Routes Traveled:City Of New OrleansLake Shore LimitedSaluki, Maple LeafEmpire Builder, Lincoln Service
Next Trip Planned: Texas Eagle  Sleeper (Chicago - St. Louis)
Lincoln Service - Business Class (St Louis - Chicago)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users