Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Emp Serv to GCT, LSL NYP Suspended, Other NYP Changes 2018

• Please log in to reply
466 replies to this topic

#21 lstone19

lstone19

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:28 PM

But the LSL is such a popular and profitable train! Why dont they at least run it out of GCT? I know that Grand Central doesnt have unlimited capacity, but the Lake Shore is pretty significant.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

It can not access Sunnyside Yard easily from Grand Central, which is necessary to service a long-distance train.

From its start in 1975 until 1991, the LSL went in and out of GCT. Back then, the train was serviced in Chicago and did a same day (approx. 5 hours with the schedule then) turn at GCT.

Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum

-- Larry

#22 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,716 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:30 PM

But the facilities that were in place at Grand Central to turn the LSL there are no more. So it is irrelevant what happened back then.

#23 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:35 PM

But the LSL is such a popular and profitable train! Why dont they at least run it out of GCT? I know that Grand Central doesnt have unlimited capacity, but the Lake Shore is pretty significant.

It can not access Sunnyside Yard easily from Grand Central, which is necessary to service a long-distance train.
Ooooooohhh. Argh. That’s a shame. It would be so glorious to take the Lake Shore Limited out of that beautiful station.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#24 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:57 PM

I don't see this as a good move for Amtrak. The LSL is one of Amtrak's most crowded trains and the New York-Chicago passengers will be left with the 3 day Cardinal as the only choice. Problem is that the Cardinal is a small train with one or two sleepers, a cafe car and maybe three coaches. That train could not possibly take the additional passenger load. Moving the LSL temporarily to Grand Central station makes the most sense.

#25 Trogdor

Trogdor

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:59 PM

I don't see this as a good move for Amtrak. The LSL is one of Amtrak's most crowded trains and the New York-Chicago passengers will be left with the 3 day Cardinal as the only choice. Problem is that the Cardinal is a small train with one or two sleepers, a cafe car and maybe three coaches. That train could not possibly take the additional passenger load. Moving the LSL temporarily to Grand Central station makes the most sense.

Not when there is no way to service the train.

NY-bound passengers can transfer at ALB to an Empire Service train.  It's not the end of the world.  It's not really that different than the many times Amtrak had to run a shuttle/stub train ALB-BOS instead of a through train, except that now it's a different set of passengers making the transfer.

• Eric S, jebr and daybeers like this
Posted Image

#26 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 04:21 PM

Not when there is no way to service the train.

NY-bound passengers can transfer at ALB to an Empire Service train.  It's not the end of the world.  It's not really that different than the many times Amtrak had to run a shuttle/stub train ALB-BOS instead of a through train, except that now it's a different set of passengers making the transfer.

You said the T-Word. Now New Yorkers will find out what it's like to live in Philly ... or Boston. Maybe when a bigger city is involved Amtrak will finally fix the problem once and for all.

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL), Texas Eagle (CHI-DAL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#27 fixj

fixj

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, Trains

Posted 01 March 2018 - 04:33 PM

If they do move on this , do we have any idea of the dates? I'm reserved on the LSL in late may NYP to CHI.

#28 amtrakpass

amtrakpass

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 04:56 PM

I don't think Transfering at Albany is too much of a hassle for a few months as long as the ticketing is clear and it is on the itinerary. One small question for those more familiar with Grand Central. Is there a waiting area with enough seats so people can sit down somewhere? Especially for older folks or handicaped persons who would usually get to the station plenty early for a long trip? Taking Metro North out of there I don't recall seeing a seated waiting area like penn station has but I may have missed it since I wasn't looking for it

#29 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 04:56 PM

Exactly! The tiny, 3-day, frequently sold out Cardinal, would take on the passenger load of a LONG, DAILY, frequently sold out train. There are a lot of people who want a one-seat ride from NYC to Chicago. This will interfere with all of them.

Edited by cpotisch, 01 March 2018 - 04:57 PM.

• Philly Amtrak Fan likes this

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#30 frequentflyer

frequentflyer

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 04:59 PM

Or send the pax down to WAS to take the Capital Ltd.

• MARC Rider likes this

#31 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 01 March 2018 - 05:40 PM

The LSL leaves NYC at 3:45 PM, The CL leaves WAS around 4 PM. A typical Amtrak connecting train would get you into WAS about 1-2 PM for the layover. That means a NY departure on the regional to WAS would have to be around 10-11 AM.  This extends the NYP-CHI trip 5-6 hours to about 25 hours. Then there is no luggage service until you arrive in WAS so you are limited to the small carry on's. .That sounds like it won't be a good alternative. .. 

• Philly Amtrak Fan likes this

#32 OlympianHiawatha

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,190 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 05:45 PM

If this pans out, hopefully someone at Amtrak will figure out how to beef up the consists on the Cardinal and Cap to get pax to Washington and then run them on up to NYC via Regional or Acela.

#33 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 05:46 PM

Why is transferring in Albany such an unbearable burden that passengers should instead be encouraged to transfer in Washington?

#34 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,716 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 01 March 2018 - 05:47 PM

The LSL leaves NYC at 3:45 PM, The CL leaves WAS around 4 PM. A typical Amtrak connecting train would get you into WAS about 1-2 PM for the layover. That means a NY departure on the regional to WAS would have to be around 10-11 AM.  This extends the NYP-CHI trip 5-6 hours to about 25 hours. Then there is no luggage service until you arrive in WAS so you are limited to the small carry on's. .That sounds like it won't be a good alternative. .. 

If you try to book an NYP - CHI trip via WAS Amtrak offers the following:

NYP 11:35 (ET) WAS 15:11 (ET) 125

WAS 1605 (ET)  CHI 08:45 (CT) 29

That appears to be about 22 hours, not 25 hours as you claim.

• Ryan likes this

#35 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,571 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:08 PM

No, you're not limited to small carry on's.  I've taken the regionals to/from WAS when traveling on the CL.  I've taken my big bag and other bags.

#36 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:19 PM

If you try to book an NYP - CHI trip via WAS Amtrak offers the following:

NYP 11:35 (ET) WAS 15:11 (ET) 125
WAS 1605 (ET)  CHI 08:45 (CT) 29

That appears to be about 22 hours, not 25 hours as you claim.
Yes. But there’s still the hassle of going to DC and changing trains. I’m surprised Philly isn’t on this thread yet.

#37 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:20 PM

So is this whole thing confirmed or just very likely?

#38 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:22 PM

Yes. But there’s still the hassle of going to DC and changing trains. I’m surprised Philly isn’t on this thread yet.

Check Post #24

• Ryan likes this

#39 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:27 PM

Check Post #24
Oh. I see.

Edited by cpotisch, 01 March 2018 - 06:31 PM.

#40 Trogdor

Trogdor

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:38 PM

You said the T-Word. Now New Yorkers will find out what it's like to live in Philly ... or Boston. Maybe when a bigger city is involved Amtrak will finally fix the problem once and for all.

And...what problem would that be?  The problem of needing to do track work which cuts off access to the station from the north for a few months?

The amount of whining and hand-wringing on this thread over what amounts to a normal, run-of-the-mill trackwork service modification is astounding.

Last year, Amtrak cut back the Crescent to Washington, DC, to accommodate a project at NYP and no elderly ladies or tiny poddles died because of the need to transfer, with luggage, to continue to New York.  Amtrak regularly cuts back the Crescent at ATL several days a week in the winter because of trackwork.  Many other routes, both corridor and long-distance, have had service adjustments, annulments, forced transfers (including, as I noted earlier, the LSL Boston section), bus substitutions, etc. for periods ranging from a few days to months on end to accommodate planned projects.

There is absolutely no reason to believe this would be any different.  If anything, there's greater chance of difficulty for people trying to transfer from NYG to NYP if they need to make a connection from ALB to places along the NEC, yet they managed to work that out last year, too (at least, on a few trains).

So, in other words, so much ado about almost nothing.

• Ryan, Eric S, me_little_me and 4 others like this
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users