Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Emp Serv to GCT, LSL NYP Suspended, Other NYP Changes 2018

• Please log in to reply
466 replies to this topic

#221 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,146 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:09 AM

Are you sure that the VL-Is are 125 capable without making a few small changes?

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#222 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:36 AM

@Thirdrail: For some reason I thought the Viewliners were 125 MPH capable?  I recall a lot of discussion to the effect that once the heritage diners and baggage cars were retired, the LD trains should be able to bump up from 110 to 125.  But I will admit that I could be in error on this.

@Thirdrail: For some reason I thought the Viewliners were 125 MPH capable?  I recall a lot of discussion to the effect that once the heritage diners and baggage cars were retired, the LD trains should be able to bump up from 110 to 125.  But I will admit that I could be in error on this.

They are capable of 125 MPH but need to be certified to operate at these speeds.

I'm pretty sure the V-Is are currently only capable of 110 mph, but the plan is to make some minor changes to bump the speed to 125. V-IIs are certified for 125 right out of the box.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#223 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:48 AM

I sort of remember something from previous discussion that they were designed for, but not certified to....is it maybe wheel profile and slight suspension adjustment? Can't remember specifics....

#224 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:25 AM

Without driving this off topic:

They aren't. PVD is on the right path:

I sort of remember something from previous discussion that they were designed for, but not certified to....is it maybe wheel profile and slight suspension adjustment?

The above and a few minor things would need adjustments. However, don't look for this to occur anytime soon....if at all.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#225 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:06 AM

Without driving this off topic:

They aren't. PVD is on the right path:

I sort of remember something from previous discussion that they were designed for, but not certified to....is it maybe wheel profile and slight suspension adjustment?

The above and a few minor things would need adjustments. However, don't look for this to occur anytime soon....if at all.
Weren't they working on certifying them a few years ago? I found this quote from you in a thread from 2015.

Actually, it is a joint test between NJT and Amtrak to get the ALP-45s and Viewliner 1s ready for 125mph.

Was this project abandoned?
Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SEA-LAX, CZ CHI-RIC, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB SEA-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS/NYP-CHI, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-CLT, SM ORL-NYP, SS MIA-NYP

#226 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:07 PM

AFAIR The test runs were successful on modified equipment.  Amtrak and NJ Transit  may be waiting for all equipment to be modified before certifying them for 125 ?

#227 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:13 PM

Was this project abandoned?

Abandoned is a strong word. Different groups have different priorities. We'll have more information towards the summer of Amtrak2.0.

AFAIR The test runs were successful on modified equipment.  Amtrak and NJ Transit  may be waiting for all equipment to be modified before certifying them for 125 ?

We're trying not to drive this (further) off topic.....remember?

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#228 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 01:19 PM

Wonder how many trips the Amtrak crew will have to take with pilots to get qualified on the route to NYG ? 

#229 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,619 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:32 PM

Hopefully more and better than the ones they did on the Point Defiance Bypass in Washington state.   Maybe not with more than a couple of people in the cab.

Edited by zephyr17, 15 March 2018 - 02:33 PM.

Pre Amtrak: SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr; Amtrak: Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-ORL), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited (NY Section), Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Crescent, Acela Express, Lake Shore Limited (Boston Section)
Via Rail Canada: Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal); 
Other: BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Alaska Railroad, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

#230 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,273 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:12 PM

Wonder how many trips the Amtrak crew will have to take with pilots to get qualified on the route to NYG ? 

Shouldnt take that much, besides, Id guess there may be some that were around before the Empire trains were rerouted to Penn Station...just a refresher for them?

Edited by railiner, 15 March 2018 - 08:13 PM.

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#231 Dutchrailnut

Dutchrailnut

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  • Interests:Ships, Planes, Trains

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:21 PM

a lot has changed since the 90's, and not many of those fossils still working,  but don't forget Amtrak was running trains into GCT last year and currently is running training trains in and out  7 days a week to get all their engineers on the route qualified, it is only march and schedule won't take effect till june.

#232 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:54 PM

"Fossil's"?

Hey!!!  I resemble that remark....Do I deny it?   No, I just resemble it.... :P

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#233 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 03:42 AM

It may be several summers that Amtrak  will have to go to NYG ?  As well the SD bridge repair may take who knows how long ?.

#234 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:30 AM

I wonder if at some time, Penn Station track work would cause Amtrak to send some Boston trains over to GCT, as well?  That would be 'nostalgic'.... :)

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#235 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:51 AM

Power would be an issue......

#236 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,146 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:54 AM

Power would be an issue......

P32ACDMs fronted by FL-9 Cabs. Yeah it will be a mess on the whole, maybe requiring engine change at NHV.

• greatcats likes this

#237 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:23 AM

Would  their deal with NYS allow their use (the P32) for that type of service? Not sure if they have enough of them any way.

Edited by PVD, 16 March 2018 - 11:23 AM.

#238 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,146 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:27 AM

Would  their deal with NYS allow their use (the P32) for that type of service? Not sure if they have enough of them any way.

They could lease from NYS or MNRR. I am not suggesting that there are any available. I am merely stating what is technically feasible. I have no way of knowing whether any arrangements can be made to get the right equipment, or if such will ever be needed. Afterall this is all hypothetical .....

#239 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:31 AM

​Fair point, and MN has sunk a few bucks into rebuilding theirs recently, being in good shape makes freeing a few up easier. Not sure if they are done, or are down a couple at a time for the shop. But as you point out, it is only hypothetical.

#240 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:53 AM

Don’t the Boston trains (NER) run with ACS-64s? Not P32s, right?

Edited by cpotisch, 16 March 2018 - 11:53 AM.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users