Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Emp Serv to GCT, LSL NYP Suspended, Other NYP Changes 2018

• Please log in to reply
424 replies to this topic

#1 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:53 PM

Now that things are firming up, there is great chance that NO Empire service will operate into NYP this summer.  The majority will be diverted to GCT while some of the longer distance trains (e.g. the Adirondack) may terminate in ALB.

Keep a sharp watch.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#2 Northeastern292

Northeastern292

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:see my social networking profiles: too many to list!

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:59 PM

Now that things are firming up, there is great chance that NO Empire service will operate into NYP this summer.  The majority will be diverted to GCT while some of the longer distance trains (e.g. the Adirondack) may terminate in ALB.

Keep a sharp watch.

Last I heard is that everything south of ALB will be shuttle service with everything north and west originating in either ALB or (in the case of the Lake Shore) BOS.

Can anyone say the return of the New England States?

#3 stappend

stappend

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 12:13 PM

No NYP section of the LSL during the summer.  

https://csanders429....rk-this-summer/

This could play into the decision making process.  The diner runs out of NYP.  Curious to see if they will run the entire train out of Boston, or add additional cars in Albany.  

#4 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,347 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 01 March 2018 - 12:26 PM

Would the platforms be long enough in Boston?

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#5 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 12:50 PM

I've arrived at South Station on a 14-car Merchants Limited, so I would say yes.

#6 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,347 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 01 March 2018 - 01:29 PM

Ok. It would make sense then.

#7 Blackwolf

Blackwolf

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Interests:Public Safety, passenger rail, travel, hunting, fishing

Posted 01 March 2018 - 01:45 PM

The Cardinal is going to be a very popular train on the days it runs....

Amtrak
Capitol Corridor (too many times to count!); Coast Starlight (x21); California Zephyr (x7); Empire Builder (x2); Lake Shore Limited (x4); Maple Leaf (x1); Adirondack (x2); Cascades (x1); Pacific Surfliner (x6); San Joaquin (x8); Capitol Limited (x1); Cardinal (x2); Acela (x1)
VIA Rail
Ocean (x4); Windsor Corridor (x2); The Canadian (x1)

#8 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 01:48 PM

Nothing yet from Amtrak so let us wait on final routing.

#9 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 02:08 PM

Restart the Broadway! Or get the through cars up and running!

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL), Texas Eagle (CHI-DAL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#10 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,243 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 01 March 2018 - 02:09 PM

I've arrived at South Station on a 14-car Merchants Limited, so I would say yes.

I am trying to remember if there was a Merchants Limited after South Station platforms were rebuilt as shorter platforms than before.

I do think though that at least a few of them would be long enough for a typical LSL consist.

#11 stappend

stappend

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 02:17 PM

I looked it up, there are several in the 1200 foot range, but I couldn't find the typical length of the LSL and they could drop at least the 2nd bag car.

#12 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,243 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 02:24 PM

LSL is minimally 5 Coaches, 3 Sleepers, Diner, Lounge, two bags and two diesels. Yes they could drop one bag. So that would be 11 cars and two engines. That should be under 1100'.

I seem to recall though that Thirdrail had mentioned that problem is not so much with platform length as with available storage and servicing track length, of which there are none that can accommodate such a long train at Southampton Street. This is what might cause a part of the train to be lopped off at Albany and services there instead of the whole thing running to Boston.

• Green Eye likes this

#13 cpotisch

cpotisch

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cars, Politics

Posted 01 March 2018 - 02:25 PM

I still don’t quite understand why they would do this?

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#14 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,047 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 01 March 2018 - 02:26 PM

Construction at NYP.
  • aka_marian likes this
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#15 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,898 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 02:27 PM

Wouldn't it have been nice if the work planned for Pittsburgh had been performed allowing cars to be efficiently transferred to and from the Pennsylvanian and the Capitol Limited. Amtrak could have rerouted the Lake Shore via Philadelphia and Pittsburgh on the schedule of the Pennsylvanian and, between PGH and CHI on the back of the Capitol with no host railroad impact and minimal Amtrak cost impact.  

• Philly Amtrak Fan likes this

#16 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 02:30 PM

Wouldn't it have been nice if the work planned for Pittsburgh had been performed allowing cars to be efficiently transferred to and from the Pennsylvanian and the Capitol Limited. Amtrak could have rerouted the Lake Shore via Philadelphia and Pittsburgh on the schedule of the Pennsylvanian and, between PGH and CHI on the back of the Capitol with no host railroad impact and minimal Amtrak cost impact.  

If Amtrak were interested in temporarily doing such a thing why couldn't they just route it via Washington and a Northeast Regional?
<p>Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SEA-LAX, CZ CHI-RIC, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB SEA-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS/NYP-CHI, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-CLT, SM ORL-NYP, SS FTL-NYP

#17 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,898 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 02:35 PM

I still don’t quite understand why they would do this?

Reportedly, the work planned at Penn Station this summer sever access to and from the tunnel for the Empire Service line.  An added complication is that the Lake Shore must not only access the west side connector tunnel, but also the East River tunnels to permit servicing at Sunnyside Yard.  If the specific tracks needed for that operation are out of service for reconstruction, then the Lake Shore cannot run to and from New York Penn.

#18 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,243 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:03 PM

They are also apparently going to take this opportunity to take the Spuyten Duyvil Bridge out of service and do major maintenance work on it this summer. Hence nothing will run on the Empire Connection this summer.

• PRR 60 likes this

#19 cpotisch

cpotisch

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cars, Politics

Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:13 PM

But the LSL is such a popular and profitable train! Why don’t they try and run it out of GCT? I know that Grand Central doesn’t have unlimited capacity to run EVERY Amtrak train, but the Lake Shore is pretty significant. Could they not slide it in?

Edited by cpotisch, 01 March 2018 - 03:19 PM.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#20 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:20 PM

But the LSL is such a popular and profitable train! Why dont they at least run it out of GCT? I know that Grand Central doesnt have unlimited capacity, but the Lake Shore is pretty significant.

It can not access Sunnyside Yard easily from Grand Central, which is necessary to service a long-distance train.
<p>Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SEA-LAX, CZ CHI-RIC, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB SEA-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS/NYP-CHI, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-CLT, SM ORL-NYP, SS FTL-NYP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users