3 replies to this topic

#1 doodaa

doodaa

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:42 AM

Hi all

Im planing a trip stateside from the UK starting the first week of September this year. One of the few Metra lines I have not travelled on is the McHenry Branch of the UP-NW.

I will be staying near O'Hare, with a Hire car. My plan is to take advantage of the jet lag on my first day and do the following:-

6:29am Des Plaines - McHenry 7.30am Train 603, which should turn into

7.39am McHenry - Ogilvie Transportation Center 8.52am Train 632

Anyone local have knowledge if this is fesaible. How reliable are these services this early in the morning

Steve

#2 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:52 PM

I have never been on that train, however the very low frequency of that branch leads me to believe that the first train will become the second and you are therefore safe. To add on, it is unusual for Metra to be nine or more minutes late.

Edited by brianpmcdonnell17, 15 May 2017 - 04:52 PM.

Trains travelled: Capitol Limited WAS-CHI, Carolinian CLT-RGH, Coast Starlight SJC-LAX, Crescent BAL-ATL, Empire Builder MSP-CHI, Empire Service NYP-NFL, Lake Shore Limited BOS-ALB, Maple Leaf ALB-NYP, Northeast Regional FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, Pacific Surfliner LAX-ANA, Silver Meteor ORL-NYP, Silver Star FTL-WAS, 2016 Autumn Express NYP-HAR-NYP

Upcoming New Routes: Piedmont RGH-GRO (July), Pennsylvanian NYP-PGH (July), Cardinal CHI-WIL (July), Lake Shore Limited NYP-CHI (December), California Zephyr CHI-RIC (December), Coast Starlight SJC-SEA (December), Empire Builder SEA-MSP (January).

Non Amtrak: Atlanta Streetcar, Caltrain, CTA, DC Streetcar, Hudson-Bergen Light Rail, LIRR, MARC, MARTA, MBTA Subway, Metra, Metrolink, METRO Transit Light Rail, Miami Metrorail, Muni Metro, NJT Commuter Rail, North Star, NYC Subway, PATH, River Line (NJT), SEPTA Regional Rail, SEPTA Subway, South Shore Line, Sunrail, TECO Streetcar, Tri-Rail, Washington Metro

#3 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:34 PM

Based on the schedule, it looks like only two train sets overnight at McHenry, so the 7:30 arrival will turn to the 7:39 departure. Metra trains are usually quite punctual , so you should have no problem. 

#4 doodaa

doodaa

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:08 PM

Thanks guys, sounds that will work out then, Now to fill the rest of the day... should not be to hard

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users