Refused Red Cap boarding because I'm not old or disabled

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texan Eagle

Conductor
I'm currently at Chicago Union Station ready to board Southwest Chief. I approached the Red Cap desk requesting their service to board. The guy looked at me, looked at my one bag and says "YOU need a Red Cap? Sorry we can't do that. This service is only for the old and disabled". I told him I'll tip, but he was adamant.

Is this a new rule or was the guy making it all up?

Oh also, say hello to coach attendant on power trip insisting on giving everyone seat numbers and not letting me pick a window seat despite a half empty train.

In Penn Station, along the years, I've never been refused Redcap service. This relates to the "lack of consistent service" comment I made elsewhere today on the forum.

Wow. That's a new low even for Amtrak. Red Caps are for everybody! Many on the board reccomend new riders to request a red cap as it is easy to get lost in the major stations (NYP And Chicago especially).

I don't want to bring politics in here but I would not be surprised if there was a bit of profiling going on there. "Hmm a young brown guy by himself, wonder what he is up to, let's ignore him"

Last edited by a moderator:
Because - Chicago.

I have forsworn ever riding Coach in Amtrak LD trains involving Chicago in any way, shape or form, because of the step-motherly attitude always bestowed upon me for being a single traveler.

I have no problem on the Atlantic Coast trains.

TE,

I strongly suggest calling Customer Relations and notifying them of the issue that you ran in to. I constantly use Red Caps at South Station when I board there to get a decent seat in the FC car. That's really the only time I use South Station. But I have never been denied service. Using the term "old" is border line for me. I would have liked to seen him or her use the term elderly.

As for the coach attendant wait to see how the train fills up along the way, then make a decision on whether to make a complaint or not. But I agree that you should be allowed to chose a window seat if you wish. If it's a big enough issue go to the Conductor.

As for the coach attendant wait to see how the train fills up along the way, then make a decision on whether to make a complaint or not.
I don't see how this is relevant at all. Directing a passenger to a specific car or maybe even specific section of a car might make sense. But reserving a window seat for someone who might board down the line is being a little too aggressive.

IBut reserving a window seat for someone who might board down the line is being a little too aggressive.
Is this actually what happened? I assumed it meant two single travelers - unrelated to each other - were assigned a pair of seats together, so one got the aisle in an otherwise partially occupied coach. If the train did indeed fill even close to capacity down the line, the attendant may need pairs of seats together to avoid later splitting up parties of two passengers.

Regardless, aren't assigned seats (and yes, singles get a seatmate) still regularly done on Atlantic Coast trains? It occurs to me I haven't been in coach there for some years, but such was once standard practice.

The real problem is, of course, the refusal of Red Cap service, for which there is no reasonable excuse.

Whenever I have traveled LD on the Atlantic Coast Line, I have had no problem getting a window seat. This may of course be a chance good behavior in the only constant at Amtrak, which is inconsistency. Trains from Chicago - forget it. I have no idea what the deal is, but I finally have given up, and I will fly instead of taking Amtrak if the only choice is LD Coach having to do with Chicago. Indeed I did that once when I was landing myself a Coach seat due to a misconnect in Chicago. I requested and got full refund of the leg and flew out that evening (on a flight that was of course cheaper than the original Sleeper ticket). And I am not the only one who has this experience. We have even complained through NARP, but to no avail. So my conclusion is that certain parts of Amtrak are not interested in my business, and that is OK by me, sadly. I understand they are running pretty full and about to make money so kudos to them. but they will not extract an LD Coach fare from me on any of those select sectors only to stuff me in an aisle seat. I am happy to travel by Sleeper when I choose to afford it. But net net, more of my money is going to the airlines, money that Amtrak could have had if they wanted it. Hey I even mentioned this to Joe B one time. He just shrugged and did not say anything.

IBut reserving a window seat for someone who might board down the line is being a little too aggressive.
Is this actually what happened? I assumed it meant two single travelers - unrelated to each other - were assigned a pair of seats together, so one got the aisle in an otherwise partially occupied coach. If the train did indeed fill even close to capacity down the line, the attendant may need pairs of seats together to avoid later splitting up parties of two passengers.

Regardless, aren't assigned seats (and yes, singles get a seatmate) still regularly done on Atlantic Coast trains? It occurs to me I haven't been in coach there for some years, but such was once standard practice.

The real problem is, of course, the refusal of Red Cap service, for which there is no reasonable excuse.
I've ridden in coach on the Cardinal and the LSL - both to Chicago - and was only directed to a car, not to a seat. I was able to get window seats both times since I was boarding at or near the starting station.

LD trains starting at the origination point (such as NYP or BOS) let you chose any seat. I understand assigning seats in say Winter Park or Salt Lake City, but not Chicago (the origination).

There is no excuse for that Red Cap's action!

Look this is the part I don't like one bit. If Amtrak cares so much about not splitting pairs of travelers, start assigning seat numbers at the time of booking so you know what you are getting into. If you go around claiming it is open seating, I expect open seating aka I get to choose where I sit. Look at Southwest Airlines. They have open seating, you don't see cabin crew block off rows of seats for families, or assign seat numbers at the gate at their own whim. You either give everyone assigned seats, or no one. Forcing people boarding from Chicago into seats decided by attendant, but letting passengers boarding one station down to pick their own seats is nonsense.

LD trains starting at the origination point (such as NYP or BOS) let you chose any seat. I understand assigning seats in say Winter Park or Salt Lake City, but not Chicago (the origination).

This is not true. I've been assigned a seat several times on the Crescent.

I have been forced to accept a crew chosen seat on both SWC and CS from LA, starting station for both trains.

There is no rhyme or reason to this, the crew does whatever they feel like.

I have been forced to accept a crew chosen seat on both SWC and CS from LA, starting station for both trains.
There is no rhyme or reason to this, the crew does whatever they feel like.
The crew reads the manifest and has a pretty good idea of how many couples and families are boarding down the line. They assign seats so families are not split up. There is rhyme and reason to it.

The worst car attendant I've ever had was out of Chicago, in a sleeper.

As for assigned coach seats, though, on my last trip with two friends on the Crescent, our coach car was almost empty. There may have been a dozen people total in the whole car. One friend and I were seated together, with the third across the aisle. The attendant seated a passenger next to her, which of course was fine with us. However, that passenger seemed to want solitude and quiet, and we were conversing with each other quietly most of the time. Point being, I'm sure she would have chosen a seat to herself if given that choice. We weren't noisy and tried not to bother her, but we didn't want to remain silent for the whole day. This was southbound between ATN and NOL, and the car remained almost empty the entire way. There was absolutely no reason to not offer the passenger her choice of seats in the almost empty car. Had she asked to move, perhaps she would've been allowed to do so, but she didn't ask.

That said, I've always found the crews on the Crescent to be pleasant and helpful. One time years ago my husband and I were given seats at the front end of the car, limiting our views with a wall in front of us. We politely asked if we could sit farther back and our request was granted. I can't recall whether I've ever been assigned a seat in coach other than those two times. After my husband became mobility limited, we always got a sleeper.

I have to agree with the OP, if the car has plenty of open seats, I don't see why a passenger can't choose where to sit, as Amtrak doesn't reserve particular seats when booking.

I don't even know what to say about the Redcap incident. I guess they've always considered me old or something!

I just took the capitol limited in coach out of chicago and despite the fact i heard the conductor say he had 40 passengers who would not make connections due to the southwest chief late arrival the attendant still assigned everyone seats with the rear half of the car empty making the announcement that they would "need every seat". Of course this was obviously not the case and after dinner i asked to move to an open seat. Went fine until toledo when the handful of passengers got on and seeing the car half empty ignored his boarding seat assignments in an attempt to spread out and get some sleep. So he gets on and tells me and the new passengers to move since it is his car. But the passengers all said they would move when it became actually necessary but for the time being they wanted to sit by themselves. He eventually did back down and let us sit where we wanted but there was no reason for seat assignments on this train with all the no-shows and it never came close to filling up. I have noticed this seat assignment thing much more in the last few years when in all but overnight stops in order to not disturb sleeping passengers i don't think it is necessary at all. But with all that it might sound like i didn't have a good trip when in reality i had a very nice time even if i didn't agree with every last detail. Sleeper is great but with the expense i am happy to go coach again even if it's not perfect especially since I am not perfect in the first place. On the other issue with the red cap i have to say i have never thought of using a red cap by myself not being with a family and able bodied. Not saying it isn't policy to allow any passenger to use them and it is wrong to discriminate in any form of course. Just don't see it as a deal breaker to have to walk to the train with the rest us if you are able

In my experience Amtrak often treats coach riders with requests like a bothersome nuisance, but they seem to save their absolute worst attitudes for single male passengers. It's almost as if they relish the opportunity to brush you off and bark orders at you. I have no explanation for why they do that or what benefit they could possibly get out if, but I've seen it far too many times for it to be a simple mistake or accident. It seems to be a more of a corporate culture problem to me.

I think Amtrak needs to implement a seat selection system like that with some airlines, where you can pick your seat anywhere in the car, based on availability.

The redcap service was unacceptable, if you got the name make sure to include that in your complaint

I have not had the seat assignment experience, but I have had the Coach Attendant put reserved for families signs on groups of seats. On time, they had taped off half the car for a large group boarding one or two stations away. Many people removed the tape only to be told they had to move to another seat. A group of high School kids did board with their chaperons filling every seat taped off. This seemed like a reasonable request. If Amtrak wants reserved LD Coach seating they need to rewrite the reservation program, which with no extra cash, will not happen. So we are left with aCoach boarding procedure that varies with the wind.

Back