Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

I'm Booked For My First Sleeper Car Trip, Now What?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,374 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 10 February 2018 - 06:08 PM

Data available here, median delay is 16 minutes. Shouldn't be a problem for you.

https://juckins.net/...size=2&smooth=0
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#42 Oreius

Oreius

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:10 PM

I might have hit a snag. Back in September, I started having back issues, which has culminated in me being in almost constant pain as of today. I am scheduled to have lower back surgery on March 23, just 13 days after my trip. I was looking at the Viewliner Roomette specifications, and I am not sure if I will be comfortable in that small a room. I am a large person, with a 60-inch waist. Add to the fact I now have back pain. I really still want to make this trip, as I have been planning for a long time. I do have a handicapped parking placard, as well as an official person with a disability form. I am asking all you people on the forum: What should I do? 

#43 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,606 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:17 PM

The Silver Meteor has 3 "H" rooms, one in each car.  They often sell out, but not always.  I would phone Amtrak to see if there are H rooms available for your trip and if you qualify to switch rooms at no extra cost.

Amtrak miles: 244,301; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#44 Oreius

Oreius

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:11 PM

Thanks. They’ve changed my leg of the trip from PHL to ELT. I’m now on train 43. I’ve decided to keep my trip on. I should be okay in a Roomette. Plus, I’ve been waiting for this trip a long time.

Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum

#45 Oreius

Oreius

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:04 AM

Tomorrow is the big day! I’m going to take Lyft from my hotel to the Kissimmee station. Is there anything else I need to know?

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#46 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:27 AM

Is there anything else I need to know?

HAVE FUN! Someone’s first time in a sleeper is always a very special experience!

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#47 OBS

OBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:28 AM

Have a great trip! 

#48 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,663 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:56 AM

ENJOY!!!

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(6) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(6), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58, #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (4), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63, San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422 (2), Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 60,169 miles & 41 states!

#49 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:03 PM

Have a wonderful trip and let us know what you think of the Meteor and 30th Street Philly! :)

#50 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:32 PM

Keep in mind that if for any reason you do not wish to use the dining car, you can make arrangements with your SCA to have your meal brought to your roomette. The earlier you can let them know, the better, it helps with timing.

#51 JRR

JRR

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:58 PM

I recommend the diner. The interaction with other travelers is part of what makes train travel special.

I think you will enjoy the boarding process.

Have a great trip.

#52 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:40 PM

I completely agree about the diner, but the o-p mentioned physical limitations that may influence their decision......I just brought it up so they were aware they have an option available as opposed to skipping the meal.....

#53 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,606 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 03:02 PM

Tomorrow is the big day! I’m going to take Lyft from my hotel to the Kissimmee station. Is there anything else I need to know?

I will listen for your train when you pass through Orlando and I will wave.  Enjoy your trip!

Amtrak miles: 244,301; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#54 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 03:28 PM

Enjoy the trip and take lots of photos so you can remember the trip later.

#55 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 03:35 PM

I completely agree about the diner, but the o-p mentioned physical limitations that may influence their decision......I just brought it up so they were aware they have an option available as opposed to skipping the meal.....

Good point.  With unmovable "one size fits some" booths Amtrak dining can be an uncomfortable fit for some passengers.  If sitting in the diner requires an extended period of physical discomfort then it might be best to enjoy a meal in the room instead.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 09 March 2018 - 03:35 PM.

#56 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 10 March 2018 - 01:40 AM

I will say that though the roomette seems small in pictures and when checking the dimensions, it feels much bigger when you're inside. So I wouldn't worry about feeling cramped or claustrophobic. I really don't think that you'll be smushed in the diner – and it will be a Viewliner II so it's airy and spacious. I would recommend you stick with the roomette, and try to eat in the diner. If it really is uncomfortable, eat in your room. And if when you're on board, the roomette just isn't gonna work, you can see if the H room is available. If so, find out what it would cost, and if the attendant or conductor is REALLY nice, they just might let you stay in there for free. Or maybe they'll let you sit in it during the day. Not likely, but theoretically possible. Just remember to tip well!

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users