Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Are You Afraid Of Flying?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

Poll: Flying

Are you afraid of and/or find airline travel highly undesirable?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

How many times have you flown in the last five years (counting a round trip as two flights)?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

How are you getting to Gathering 11?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,489 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:53 PM

Now, B6 for jetBlue, OO for SkyWest, and even 2V for Amtrak? No clue.

Maybe OO is for Oh Oh! :D

#42 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,962 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:49 PM

New airlines often seem to get completely random letter-number pairs. Afterall there are only so many meaningful pairs of letters.

All the new airlines in India have these weird airline codes Jet Airways 9W, IndiGo 6E, Go Air G8, Spice Jet SG etc.), while the old timers like Air India (AI), Indian Airlines (while it existed - IC) have meaningful ones.

Interestingly, British Airways managed to get BA even when it was BOAC. I suppose they could as well have gone for SB for Speedbird, which has been their call sign dating back to the days of Imperial Airways AFAIR. And Aeroflot still has SU which presumably comes from Soviet Union perhaps?

Edited by jis, 15 May 2017 - 02:51 PM.

#43 saxman

saxman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts
  • Interests:Trains, planes, maps, and music

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:25 PM

I'm pretty scared of flying. I usually just close my eyes when I land. So far it has worked out pretty well.  :P In 2016 I worked 475 flights plus rode as a passenger on a hundred more.

Amtrak Miles: 203,395 (as of 9/21/16)

#44 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,489 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:44 PM

I'm pretty scared of flying. I usually just close my eyes when I land. So far it has worked out pretty well.  :P In 2016 I worked 475 flights plus rode as a passenger on a hundred more.

:D

#45 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,501 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:59 PM

2V

2V, or not 2V, that is the question!

(ok, that really only works out loud)

DL for domestic connections since their Comfort+ is the easiest to purchase (books directly into its own fare basis)

That actually screwed me over, as the fares that the government purchases eliminates the nominal upcharge to get C+. I would gladly pay it for my BWI-ATL-PNS legs, but when they wanted several hundred bucks to make it happen, I opted to shift my business to MOB since AA had the contract fare.

Fortunately for FY17 AA won both the BWI/PNS and BWI/MOB contracts, so it's AA either way. I much prefer to fly in to PNS, as I have far better luck of actually getting a rental car when I land.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#46 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,962 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:20 AM

Our resident CAT III guy :P

Edited by jis, 16 May 2017 - 11:09 AM.

#47 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,155 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:58 AM

DL for domestic connections since their Comfort+ is the easiest to purchase (books directly into its own fare basis)

That actually screwed me over, as the fares that the government purchases eliminates the nominal upcharge to get C+. I would gladly pay it for my BWI-ATL-PNS legs, but when they wanted several hundred bucks to make it happen, I opted to shift my business to MOB since AA had the contract fare. Fortunately for FY17 AA won both the BWI/PNS and BWI/MOB contracts, so it's AA either way. I much prefer to fly in to PNS, as I have far better luck of actually getting a rental car when I land.

I never considered that until you mentioned it but I can understand the other side of the coin.  Most of my flights are personal rather than business and I prefer to have the whole thing wrapped up at booking time. Having to search for a coach ticket first and then having to confirm and purchase a separate upgrade on top of the coach fare makes things more tedious to compare and book. If something changes (aircraft, schedule, routing etc.) the upgrade can become orphaned and get left behind during the rebooking process. At which point I'll need to make a phone call or visit a ticket counter to request it be reapplied manually. Depending on the agent they may refuse to assist since onboard upgrades are technically nonrefundable and nontransferable. Just depends on who you get and these days I try to do everything I can to avoid interacting with US airline staff. Therefore having a fare basis that is already inclusive of the upgrade is highly preferable to me.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 16 May 2017 - 03:02 PM.

We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier. 

#48 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,158 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:44 AM

Our resident CAT III guy :P

With full Auto-land? :D

Edited by railiner, 16 May 2017 - 11:45 AM.

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#49 XHRTSP

XHRTSP

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:18 PM

I can fly for free and can even avoid TSA at a lot of airports, yet every now and then I take the train.  Some routes like SEA-PDX, SEA-YVR, ORD-MKE, the train is just better suited.  Unfortunately there just aren't that many of those pairings.   

#50 Maglev

Maglev

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:Trains, environmental science, planetary volcanism.

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:29 PM

I simply don't travel very often any more, and prefer trains.  From1984 to 2004, I had free travel privileges on United Airlines, and at that time I was living on Maui so I made many trips to the mainland.  Seriously--now that I live on Orcas Island, I make almost as many ferry trips to the mainland per year as I did airplane trips while living in Hawaii.

This year, I am traveling more than I have since moving here in 2004.  I took the train to Florida in January, and will be taking the Cascades to the Gathering in September.  Also, my wife and I will be going to Oahu in December.  It is almost impossible to get there without flying, and for me flying is like taking the train: not a cheap experience.  Just getting to Seattle costs $600 ($150 per person each way), and to Hawaii I bought refundable first-class tickets for several times the cost of coach.   

I am not really any more afraid of flying than I am of taking the train.  I have felt similarly out-of-control of my personal safety while being awakened in an upper berth on the California Zephyr rocketing across Nebraska as I felt on an MD-11 suddenly plummeting in wind-shear over the Pacific Ocean.  But I am afraid of driving on freeways and in urban traffic.  That is a big reason we take the ferry to the mainland so rarely, and why we are flying to Seattle for the trip to Hawaii instead of driving.

Northeast corridor Heritage, Amfleet and Acela, CN Super Continental, Broadway Limited, Lone Star, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, San Joaquin, Southwest Limited, National Limited, Champion, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Wolverine, Crescent, Empire Builder, Cascades, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Meteor, Cardinal. 

#51 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,501 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:27 PM

Most of my flights are personal rather than business and I prefer to have the whole thing wrapped up at booking time.

Yep, if for personal travel I'm much agreed. Not getting tickled until 3 days before travel drives me insane.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#52 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,158 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:05 PM

I can fly for free and can even avoid TSA at a lot of airports, yet every now and then I take the train.  Some routes like SEA-PDX, SEA-YVR, ORD-MKE, the train is just better suited.  Unfortunately there just aren't that many of those pairings.   

Flying NRSA (standby), is a lot tougher now than it was many years ago. The Yield Management has got the load factors at an all-time high, so its's difficult to enjoy that privilege...of course being jumpseat eligible, increases your chances... :)
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#53 XHRTSP

XHRTSP

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:30 AM

Being able to ride with the cargo guys helps too.  The hours aren't the best, but it's pretty much a guaranteed first class to where you want to go. 

My company needs a reciprocal jumpseat agreement with BNSF, then I'd take the train a lot more.  I'm sure the FAA and FRA wouldn't stand in the way of that at all...

#54 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,158 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:38 AM

Being able to ride with the cargo guys helps too.  The hours aren't the best, but it's pretty much a guaranteed first class to where you want to go. 

My company needs a reciprocal jumpseat agreement with BNSF, then I'd take the train a lot more.  I'm sure the FAA and FRA wouldn't stand in the way of that at all...

While your getting those arrangements done, you might as well include Cunard Line....the Queen Mary 2 has lots of "jump seats" on its bridge.... :D
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#55 Carolina Special

Carolina Special

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:31 PM

When my older sister got married in late 1960s, her new husband decided to save money on their honeymoon by flying standby. He got bumped at the last minute. His new bride wound up in Denver with no husband, no money and contemplating an early divorce. He chose...poorly. :)

As for me, I fly infrequently and do find myself saying a prayer when we take off. Probably comes from reading too many stories about crashes. Even if statistically speaking of course, it's still the safest way to travel. That along with the lack of room in coach, poor window views, and TSA strip searches make me not too thrilled with the flying experience.

#56 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,155 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 29 May 2017 - 04:24 PM

I was watching some Horizons episode about plane crashes and they claimed that flying was the second scariest event in most people's lives. Only public speaking was worse. I can understand the public speaking part. Public speaking is something you perform yourself and are immediately judged upon. If it's a disaster then it's all on you for screwing it up. Most of us don't do much public speaking on a regular basis and thus rarely have much time to get used to it.

However, flying is relatively common for many of us, so common in fact that we begin to take it for granted. You can fly while reading a book or watching a movie or even sleeping. Nothing terribly scary about any of that. No matter how bad the flight goes you're not going to be held responsible for it unless you're in a cockpit or control tower. I guess many people fear being injured or killed but those are irrational fears that aren't based on statistically significant threats. If anything those people should fear getting inside a fast car or slippery bathtub or dark alleyway instead.

When my older sister got married in late 1960s, her new husband decided to save money on their honeymoon by flying standby. He got bumped at the last minute. His new bride wound up in Denver with no husband, no money and contemplating an early divorce. He chose...poorly.

And she chose...him. 50/50 screwup IMO.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 29 May 2017 - 06:16 PM.

We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier. 

#57 saxman

saxman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts
  • Interests:Trains, planes, maps, and music

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:25 PM

Now, B6 for jetBlue, OO for SkyWest, and even 2V for Amtrak? No clue.

JetBlue; B for Blue and 6 for Terminal 6 at JFK which was their first main hub. Now they operate out of the newly built Terminal 5.

Edited by saxman, 30 May 2017 - 02:26 PM.

Amtrak Miles: 203,395 (as of 9/21/16)

#58 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,501 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 04:36 PM

msy.gif
Posted Image

#59 dogbert617

dogbert617

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:07 PM

Like others said, NOT afraid of flying whatsoever! Just find it undesirable with the higher ticket cost vs. Amtrak, the TSA security process (the no liquids in carry on bags rule especially annoys me), how tightly packed and less legroom between seats it is on flights (vs. Amtrak), and finally how all airlines except Southwest (I believe, correct me if there are others out there too) have moved to charging for checked baggage.

I'd so rather take Amtrak if I have a choice, since it's FAR more relaxing vs. flying. It isn't as fast, but if I can, I'd rather take Amtrak over flying. And the occasional smoke/fresh air stops are nice on long distance trains, too. I know they can't always do those for late running trains(when they're shortened or eliminated), but it is a nice feature about long distance train travel, if the train is running on time or not too late off the normal schedule.

#60 CAWA123

CAWA123

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:07 AM

I'm not afraid to fly. I hate flying for what it's become because of regulations and being sandwiched in between a bunch of stressful people. People are in such a hurry these days. Taking the train brings life to a more relaxed and enjoyable pace. I'm not in a hurry. I want to be comfortable and enjoy life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users