Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

United ticket office at NYP

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,962 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 08 May 2017 - 02:13 PM

I looked it up and only 4 Amtrak stations can be booked via United. It doesn't include NYP (ZYP) which I would have thought made the most sense.

I bet it has something to do with the fact that Amtrak really does not have spare capacity to sell in that sector, and indeed, it takes positive action to discourage such by setting exceedingly high fares in that sector. If United really wishes to provide through tickets to New York, they would be far better off and more convenient both in terms of schedules and drop off/pickup point in New York, to do so in partnership with the Airporter Bus service, or simply using Limo service like say Emirates does from JFK for upper class passengers.

#22 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 02:56 PM

I looked it up and only 4 Amtrak stations can be booked via United. It doesn't include NYP (ZYP) which I would have thought made the most sense.

I bet it has something to do with the fact that Amtrak really does not have spare capacity to sell in that sector, and indeed, it takes positive action to discourage such by setting exceedingly high fares in that sector. If United really wishes to provide through tickets to New York, they would be far better off and more convenient both in terms of schedules and drop off/pickup point in New York, to do so in partnership with the Airporter Bus service, or simply using Limo service like say Emirates does from JFK for upper class passengers.

I did see that the total price for something like Philadelphia to San Francisco was cheaper through the 30th St Station and EWR than via Philadelphia airport.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users