261 replies to this topic

#141 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:37 PM

The only temporary timetable I've seen for Amtrak trains heading South out of NYP starts on 7-10- 17 so I don't think so,, but as all things Amtrak, that could change.

#142 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,881 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:43 PM

I'm traveling on the Cardinal out of NYP on July 7. Will I recieve any disruptions?

No. 

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#143 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,338 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:50 AM

To be fair, he'll probably see some disruptions, this is the Cardinal we are talking about.

But this won't be the cause of them. ;)
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#144 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,458 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:40 AM

Of course y'all are right, but we all have our Train Fantasy!😁

As someone who actually got to ride to/from GCT and NYP during the Golden Days just can't forget how nice it was compared to today's NYD!😍 ((D=Dungeon)

We understand your fantasy. I like the idea of arriving in the grandeur of Grand Central myself. But the problem is that foamers spend too much time actually lobbying for public transit resources that should be allocated to projects that functionally approve the effectiveness and reliability of public transit, for the purpose of doing things like restoring and arriving in a grand ediface... when for instance the purpose of this thread is that we are going to have a mess this summer because said resources were not available to maintain the reliable function of a major terminal.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#145 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 01:49 PM

I grew up in a no car household, and had relatives living in Baltimore, going out of Penn was how we got there. I'm sure it was a wonderful place at one time, but I don't remember it being so nice in the 60's, PRR let it get pretty bad, and the neighborhood was dicey. While many of us wax nostalgically about "the great old Penn Station" if half the number of people who say today how terrible it was to get rid of it and build MSG were against replacing it then, it might still be there. Like the WTC, until it got knocked down, most people I know would tell you how they couldn't stand it. Luckily, its (Penn Station) demise led to a changed attitude about landmarks preservation, and we still have GCT.

#146 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:47 PM

We understand your fantasy. I like the idea of arriving in the grandeur of Grand Central myself. But the problem is that foamers spend too much time actually lobbying for public transit resources that should be allocated to projects that functionally approve the effectiveness and reliability of public transit, for the purpose of doing things like restoring and arriving in a grand ediface... when for instance the purpose of this thread is that we are going to have a mess this summer because said resources were not available to maintain the reliable function of a major terminal.

This is the line of thinking that concerns me. All the funding in the world is not going to help an overstuffed, outdated piece of infrastructure.  The biggest resource is actually time.  There isn't enough time to get everything that needs to get done between the trains.

Take a look at the whining that is occurring a for two month project. Can you imagine if Amtrak decided to take the necessary step of undercutting the High Line?  That would mean a few weeks of single tracking between NWK-NYP. The reality of the situation is no one wants to give up their slots or train to perform the work. As such, projects occur 55 hours at a time, which is insane for the amount of traffic that NYP sustains. 

The thing that amuses me the most is the railroads STILL want to stiff more trains into NYP, knowing that is overburdened. For every additional train that is run, that is another slot of maintenance lost and another minute of lost life expectancy.

I've said it for years. The resources need diversification and better utilization. Amtrak going to GCT with a few trains is a start in the right direction. It would be nice if this were a permanent solution.  I seriously hope all of these alternative plans work so well, that a lot of them become permanent solutions to the overcrowding of Penn.  As one editor wrote in response to Gov "Pay attention to me" Cuomo's ludicrous and whiny 'it will be a summer of "Hell", we're already in Hell!"

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#147 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:48 PM

The latest in terms of schedule/service changes: https://www.amtrak.com/NYPrenewal

Trains Traveled:

Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA) 
Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI)
Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS)
Lake Short Limited (NYP-CHI)
Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL)
Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX)
California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY)
City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL)

Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#148 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,881 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:36 PM

To be fair, he'll probably see some disruptions, this is the Cardinal we are talking about.

But this won't be the cause of them. ;)

Haaaa! You're right too!
These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#149 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,201 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:02 AM

Not mentioned in Amtrak's press releases as far as I can tell: The Meteor, Star, and Cardinal are available for coach booking SB NYP-WAS (the Crescent is excluded for obvious reasons).  Also not highlighted: The Crescent's timetable got shoved back by about 90 minutes (it now leaves WAS at 1955), something which is actually going to improve my trip to Atlanta for DragonCon slightly (if nothing else, I can relax more at breakfast).  97 is actually the Crescent's connection at WAS...but pax can only book a roomette starting at WAS (I have to presume that there will either be a very big dinner seating out of WAS or a bunch of seriously annoyed Crescent pax).

An interesting wrinkle with this shuffle: The Crescent now probably only needs three sets (I would sure hope that 20 could turn as 19 in 8 hours, and I suspect the later time out of WAS was to accommodate this), so that saves a diner, two Viewliners, and I suspect four LD Amfleets.  Is there any discussion about where this equipment might show up?  The Viewliners seem like candidates for the Cardinal, but considering the oft-mentioned booking issues on here I'd seriously consider the LSL to be a solid use of the stuff (even if the train could only run longer four days out of the week, that's got be better than idling the equipment).

Considering the whole cluster surrounding this, I'm sort-of surprised that Amtrak didn't open up any of the LD trains to bookings NB with a note of "Look, this train is coming from New Orleans/Miami/Chicago and OTP may stink."  Axing three Regionals is nothing to sneeze at (even if I incessantly forget which Regionals got cut) and for once I have to presume that they really need the capacity (even if they might need to lock some of the space).  Normally I do understand why this isn't done, but this isn't "normally" either.

Edited by Anderson, 19 June 2017 - 04:04 AM.

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#150 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,205 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:57 AM

Not mentioned in Amtrak's press releases as far as I can tell: The Meteor, Star, and Cardinal are available for coach booking SB NYP-WAS (the Crescent is excluded for obvious reasons).  Also not highlighted: The Crescent's timetable got shoved back by about 90 minutes (it now leaves WAS at 1955), something which is actually going to improve my trip to Atlanta for DragonCon slightly (if nothing else, I can relax more at breakfast).  97 is actually the Crescent's connection at WAS...but pax can only book a roomette starting at WAS (I have to presume that there will either be a very big dinner seating out of WAS or a bunch of seriously annoyed Crescent pax).

An interesting wrinkle with this shuffle: The Crescent now probably only needs three sets (I would sure hope that 20 could turn as 19 in 8 hours, and I suspect the later time out of WAS was to accommodate this), so that saves a diner, two Viewliners, and I suspect four LD Amfleets.  Is there any discussion about where this equipment might show up?  The Viewliners seem like candidates for the Cardinal, but considering the oft-mentioned booking issues on here I'd seriously consider the LSL to be a solid use of the stuff (even if the train could only run longer four days out of the week, that's got be better than idling the equipment).

Considering the whole cluster surrounding this, I'm sort-of surprised that Amtrak didn't open up any of the LD trains to bookings NB with a note of "Look, this train is coming from New Orleans/Miami/Chicago and OTP may stink."  Axing three Regionals is nothing to sneeze at (even if I incessantly forget which Regionals got cut) and for once I have to presume that they really need the capacity (even if they might need to lock some of the space).  Normally I do understand why this isn't done, but this isn't "normally" either.

I believe ThirdRail7 already answered your questions.

The time was pushed back to allow one of the silvers to be the feeder from the north.

Some or all of the cars will stay in WAS as protect.

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015: May: CHI=>CIN(pd-Card) / CIN=>WIL(pts Card)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

2016: Mar: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct:  WIL=>NYP=>NYP=>WIL (Autumn Express) 

#151 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:30 AM

It appears that NYC will finally start construction on a new Penn station maybe even later this year to be completed by 2020.  The drawings look nice but I haven't read how Amtrak will be included in the plans. Good info here:

https://ny.curbed.co...o-redevelopment.

#152 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:01 PM

The time was pushed back to allow one of the silvers to be the feeder from the north.

Some or all of the cars will stay in WAS as protect.

So why not have a thru sleeper from silver to Crescent ?

If Crescent #20 late just attach sleeper to next NEC regional ?

#153 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:44 PM

It appears that NYC will finally start construction on a new Penn station maybe even later this year to be completed by 2020.  The drawings look nice but I haven't read how Amtrak will be included in the plans. Good info here:

https://ny.curbed.co...o-redevelopment.

Nice article, thanks for posting it!

One of the rendering's shows an aerial view of the new glass  roof over the courtyard of the post office...All the times I've been into that post office, and deep below it on the diagonal platform, I never knew it existed.  I thought it was just a solid building.... :cool:

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#154 Blackwolf

Blackwolf

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
  • Interests:Public Safety, passenger rail, travel, hunting, fishing

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:14 PM

Those renderings are getting quite a bit of use right out of the gate.  Just watched a 30-second commercial paid for by the State of New York that used those exact graphics as a large part of their presentation.  Mixed in with other large-scale projects either finished, under way or proposed all around the State, it gives the impression that New York City and State are the best places to do business and visit because they're so much more advanced and modern than the rest of the country.

The only issue I had with an otherwise enticing commercial is the impression that projects like Moyinhan were very much finished and one could expect to take a train into NYC and visit that rendered station tomorrow.  Could certainly lead to some serious head-scratching for some visitors when they are instead treated to the catacombs of NYP.

On the track work, I'm cautiously wary of any overruns in the project timeline since I'll be using the station in mid-September.  The LSL is not mentioned in any of the amended timetables, so I presume it should not be impacted by the work in any negative way.  On the other hand, with the return to California being made by flying cigar tube, I'm not so comfortable that the work won't impact the Long Island JFK shuttle service from Penn to Jamaica.  Just one of those things to be aware of once in the City.

Amtrak
Capitol Corridor (too many times to count!); Coast Starlight (x21); California Zephyr (x6); Empire Builder (x2); Lake Shore Limited (x3); Maple Leaf (x1); Adirondack (x2); Cascades (x1); Pacific Surfliner (x6); San Joaquin (x8); Capitol Limited (x1); Cardinal (x2); Acela (x1)

VIA Rail
Ocean (x4); Windsor Corridor (x2); The Canadian (x1)

#155 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:03 PM

If you're worried about LIRR service to connect with the Airtrain at Jamaica, you could take the subway instead, ('E' train), and save some money too, although it does take about twice the time....

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#156 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:21 PM

The LIRR has enough frequencies that getting to JFK should not be an issue, although the trains may be more crowded than normal. The subway option is also available, as stated by railiner.
Trains travelled: Capitol Limited WAS-CHI, Carolinian CLT-RGH, Coast Starlight SJC-LAX, Crescent BAL-ATL, Empire Builder MSP-CHI, Empire Service NYP-NFL+NYG-YNY, Lake Shore Limited BOS-ALB, Maple Leaf ALB-NYP, Northeast Regional FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, Pacific Surfliner LAX-ANA, Pennsylvanian NYP-PGH, Piedmont RGH-DNC, Silver Meteor ORL-NYP, Silver Star FTL-WAS, 2016 Autumn Express NYP-HAR-NYP

Upcoming New Routes: Cardinal CHI-WAS (July), Lake Shore Limited NYP-CHI (December), California Zephyr CHI-RIC (December), Coast Starlight SJC-SEA (December), Empire Builder SEA-MSP (January).

Non Amtrak: Atlanta Streetcar, Caltrain, CTA, DC Streetcar, Hudson-Bergen Light Rail, LIRR, MARC, MARTA, MBTA Subway, Metra, Metrolink, Metro-North, METRO Transit Light Rail, Miami Metrorail, Muni Metro, NJT Commuter Rail, North Star, NYC Subway, PATH, Pittsburgh Light Rail, River Line (NJT), SEPTA Regional Rail, SEPTA Subway, South Shore Line, Sunrail, Staten Island Railway, TECO Streetcar, Tri-Rail, Washington Metro

#157 MARC Rider

MARC Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:44 AM

I grew up in a no car household, and had relatives living in Baltimore, going out of Penn was how we got there. I'm sure it was a wonderful place at one time, but I don't remember it being so nice in the 60's, PRR let it get pretty bad, and the neighborhood was dicey. While many of us wax nostalgically about "the great old Penn Station" if half the number of people who say today how terrible it was to get rid of it and build MSG were against replacing it then, it might still be there. Like the WTC, until it got knocked down, most people I know would tell you how they couldn't stand it. Luckily, its (Penn Station) demise led to a changed attitude about landmarks preservation, and we still have GCT.

Now that's funny, because I used to go through Penn Station quite a bit during my teenage joyriding years in the late 1960s, and I actually thought the newly-built rat's maze was kind of cool, like something out of Star Trek.  There was actually a reasonably impressive entrance from Pennsylvania Plaza where the cabs dropped you off, down some escalators into a rotunda which contained a large electronic departure board you could read as you descended the escalator, which took you right to the large bank of ticket counters.  Of course, back then, everything was sparkly new, and the place wasn't as dingy as it is today.  I think the crowds were lesser to, so the place, while busy, wasn't the zoo it is today.  And you also had to be into modernist architecture.

#158 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,510 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:05 PM

Moorman fires back at threats to withhold payments to Amtrak...

http://www.nbcnewyor...-429944213.html

I think Moorman has got it right and the two Governors are just indulging in political posturing one upmanship that does not help in improving the situation for any user of the system.

#159 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:56 AM

You are absolutely right, jis.

I am glad to see in the article that Mr. Moorman sounds tougher than he usually does--he's a true gentleman, but  he's dealing with a crowd that is not used to civility.

A very annoying part of this situation is that his energy and Amtrak's resources are being drained by just one city. Yes, New York is an extremely important city, but this mess is taking resources and focus away from saving the long-distance trains and from other cities served by train that get one train a day if they are lucky.

Would it be at all possible for Amtrak to just get rid of NY Penn? Have it privatized or have NJT and LIRR take it over? And for Amtrak trains that must go through New York to use Grand Central Station again? Then the commuters who are complaining now about NY Penn would have a real mess there, and those of us who just want to get in and out of New York as fast as possible on our way to somewhere else would not.

Edited by Mystic River Dragon, 22 June 2017 - 10:41 AM.

#160 John Bobinyec

John Bobinyec

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:00 AM

Grand Central Terminal (not station) is stub-ended.  You can't go through it.

jb

LDS Been On:

Old: Phoebe Snow (EL), Montrealer (AT), Laurentian (D&H)

RBBB: St. Petersburg - W. Palm Beach, Lakeland - Atlanta, Baltimore - NYC, Rochester, NY - Hartford, Albuquerque - Salt Lake City, Denver - Chicago

Modern: Ocean (VIA), Silver Star, Capitol Limited, Texas Eagle, Autotrain, Carolinian, Southwest Chief, California Zephyr, Lake Shore Limited

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users